Troubleshooting my clogged kitchen sink in '84 Dolphin

annie h

. my sister and I bought our dolphin last year and used it once. everything worked fine except on this last trip our kitchen sink wouldn't drain.. bathroom sink okay.. we took off the "U" pipe under the sink and it was clear hooked it back up but it still didn't drain... anyone have any suggestions? thanks so much.. none of our original manuals mentions the.sink! annie h

Some sinks have a shutoff above the trap. Check there first.

If no shutoff, you have some type of blockage in the line between the trap and the tank. As my toy is an older model (my sink drained to the outside via a garden hose) I can't advise you the best route to take.

Other members will probably chime in with some good advice. Fred

Additional thought,

When you took the trap off, was there water inside the (u shaped pipe?). If not, the blockage is somewhere in the sink drain itself.

Try one of these. Available at home depot and many other hardware stores. Do it with the u section off so you can see if anything comes out of the sink and then you can get farther into the drain to tank section. Plastic so it won;t hurt your plastic pipes. I always keep them handy. Of course I have to ask.Is your waste tank empty. If it's full the water has no where else to go. Another possible problem is the waste vent on the roof is clogged. Look for pipe on roof above the sink location On a sealed water system for water to get out air must come in. Is the cap on up there. If not stuff could fall into it and clog the system.

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Products-00412BL-Zip-It-Cleaning/dp/B000BO9204

Linda S

annie,

1) Remove the Pee Trap and attempt using the plastic fish skeleton tool that Linda suggested above. Be sure that you don't break it off inside the plumbing. If so, you will have a very terrible problem on your hands. If that doesn't work, you may wish to follow the next few steps below:

2) Put the Pee Trap back together.

3) Pour about 1 liter of Coca-Cola (not diet, the real kind with sugar) down the drain.

4) Wait 2 hours. Boil up (a full hard boil) a tea kettle of water and slowly pour it down the drain. If water begins to back up, stop pouring the boiling water.

5) Wait 15 minutes (until boiling water cools down). Remove Pee Trap and reinstall it. Repeat steps 2) through 4).

**It may take a few attempts, but Coca-Cola really works and it is 'safe'. Never use Liquid Drain-o. That stuff can blow up and end up with acid in your face and eyes.

Be sure to respond back and let the rest of us hear of your results.

-Riverman77

P.S. Linda is quite correct about making sure that your roof vent is clear and venting. But, if your shower is draining fine and your kitchen sink is not, your roof vent is probably O.K. and you'll probably find that the clog is limited to your kitchen sink only.

Edited by Riverman77