Need some help locating a battery cover!!

Cowboy

Looking for an auxillary battery cover for a 1985 Sunrader. Mine is cracked and I need to find one or make one. thanks

Anybody have any tips, or where I can locate one?

WalMart sells marine battery boxes in two different sizes. They come with the cover. You may have to do some slight modifications to accommodate your particular setup.

Might be easier than trying to find a factory replacement.

The local WalMart sells battery boxes but they are marine battery boxes meant to be used in a well ventilated area. They are not RV battery boxes meant for an enclosed area. If you battery is in the RV, you need to vent it through the wall with an attached hose. I bought mine through PPL RV parts. I wanted a large size so it took me a while to find. I wanted to be able to install the largest deep cycle battery I could find.

If you use a marine box inside an RV, you could get a build up of explosive hydrogen gas that could result in an explosion.

The local WalMart sells battery boxes but they are marine battery boxes meant to be used in a well ventilated area. They are not RV battery boxes meant for an enclosed area. If you battery is in the RV, you need to vent it through the wall with an attached hose. I bought mine through PPL RV parts. I wanted a large size so it took me a while to find. I wanted to be able to install the largest deep cycle battery I could find.

If you use a marine box inside an RV, you could get a build up of explosive hydrogen gas that could result in an explosion.

Bob,

My battery also sits in an enclosed area. When I mentioned "slight modification" would include drilling appropriate diameter vent hole in the bottom of the box as well as a hole in the lid to accommodate the vent hose.

As far as "dangerous" goes, you can't help but wonder how people drove those VW beetles from the 60's and 70's with the battery secured (unventilated) directly under the rear passenger seat.

Most compartments are far from "air tight". You have natural air infiltration around wire access holes, the drain hole in the bottom of the box etc.

Thank you all for your responses!! I'll be looking into some of your suggestions.

I have a question for you Ya Baby! What exactly did you buy at PPL RV parts?

I'm not looking for a box, I'm looking for a compartment cover for an 85 Sunrader. The compartment holds the battery, and the cover screws on the outside of the RV. I hope I'm a little more clear.

Once again... thanx ya'll!

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking for battery well cover. As you can see mine is cracked. Thanks cowboy

Still looking for battery well cover. As you can see mine is cracked. Thanks cowboypost-7168-0-18468500-1374721832_thumb.jp

Edited by Cowboy

You might be able to find a new cover on amazon, campingworld, ebay, or something like that by measuring the dimensions. I replaced my fridge access door with one by matching my dimensions to one at a local rv supply store. It will most likely be better looking than factory.

I went to the PPL website and did a search for vented battery box.

I got the larger size so that I can drop in a larger battery.

Sorry I can't post the link but for some reason, my confuser will not allow me to do that right now.