Nice 21 foot Sunrader for sale - $3900 or maybe less

zero

There's a pretty nice 21 foot Sunrader parked near where I live here in central NY. I was going to buy it - but then got in an argument with the seller - lost my temper - and told his to stick it somewhere that the sun doesn't shine. Still a good deal though if someone is looking for a good Sunrader. He's asking $3900 but I suspect it can be bought for less. It has six brand new 8 ply rated tired. AC works (both systems). Looks like it has a fairly new three-way refrigerator. Auto trans, 80K miles. NO rust. It was a South Caroline RV before coming to NY for 10 years. It was always garaged and never driven in winter. I crawled under in and found no rust. Very clean.

I never got to hear it run. I am assuming it runs perfect as described but cannot verify. Note - it also has the full-floater rear with 6 lugs but has the 5 lug setup on front.

The reason I'm not buying is this. It was advertised locally two weeks ago. I called and was told I could come see it after 5 PM. So me and family got there at 5:30 PM in the pouring rain (20 mile ride). Nobody was there and the Sunrader was locked up. So I crawled in the mud and checked it over best I could. Looked clean. Also - even though it was pouring rain - I looked inside and observed no signs of leaks. I was going to buy but the seller never showed. He and his girlfriend had two phone numbers and I called both many times and also left many messages. None were ever returned. Now - almost two weeks later, a new ad for the same RV is in Craigslist again. I called the people and asked why they never returned my calls and why they stood me up? The guy got all defensive - offered no apology. He got kind of nasty and said "either I want to buy it or not" and if I want to argue - he won't talk further. So I told him to "kiss my a** " and that was that. The sellers are jerks in my opinion but still a nice Sunrader.

I took over 20 photos if somebody needs to see them.

Here's the text of the ad:

Toyota 21FT RV - $3900 (Cooperstown.NY)
marker-shadow.png
marker-icon.png
+-
Powered by LeafletTerms
180 county road 26
1986 Sunrader fiberglass quality built, originally from N.C. garaged last 10 winters economical legendary 4 cyl engine A/C and Roof A/C automatic with overdrive only 75000 miles. 16 MPG
Six new truck tires. Sleeps 4 Runs great!
I have owned this RV for 10 trouble free years.
Kids are now gone...,
Don't miss this one.
Call (607)282-0485 leave message/ no text

180 county road 26 (google map) (yahoo map)

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

http://utica.craigslist.org/rvs/3815700752.html

I don't believe your story. There is absolutely NO WAY you would argue with someone... NEVER.

:P

Yes for sure I'm not a soft-spoken "touch-feely" person. I do attempt to treat people fairly though and appreciate the same in return. With this seller - there wasn't any real argument. Just his arrogance and my losing my temper a bit. I had crawled in the mud while waiting for this seller to show up and he never came. I drove 40 miles, got sopping wet, and accomplished nothing. Now - two weeks later . . when I get hold of the guy after seeing his new add - I ask him why he didn't show up or return any of my phone calls. He then accused me of WANTING to argue. NOPE. I didn't want to argue. I just wanted an explanation so .. . in case I got invited to drive out there again - I'd have some assurance the seller would actually be there this time.

I would have told him that I wanted to buy it; then to meet me with cash; in the bronx, at 3 AM.

ehheheheheh

Yes - or as they did in Zap comic 50 years ago - stick a Ku Klux Klan hat on him and drop him off in Harlem (the old Harlem before Bill Clinton took it over).

Here are some photos. I guess I'm doing the seller/jerk a favor by posting these. It IS a nice rust-free rig though - for somebody.

post-6578-0-90676200-1370898054_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-92806800-1370898059_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-00168600-1370898062_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-10851800-1370898063_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-88005000-1370898064_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-17519200-1370898077_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-38893900-1370898091_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-77488000-1370898092_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-83038300-1370898093_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-03751500-1370898095_thumb.jp

One of the members of the toyota-campers group inspected this one. Inside was nasty. Mold, ceiling falling down and shower pan seriously cracked. Does look like the gray tank is drooping in JD's pics so might be quite a bit of damage under there. She passed for that reason and yes she said he was grumpy too.

Linda S

One of the members of the toyota-campers group inspected this one. Inside was nasty. Mold, ceiling falling down and shower pan seriously cracked. Does look like the gray tank is drooping in JD's pics so might be quite a bit of damage under there. She passed for that reason and yes she said he was grumpy too.

Linda S

When I first called the seller on the phone (before I had gotten stood up by him) . . he told me a woman came by who wanted to buy it and he refused to sell it to her. He claimed she was clueless about older stuff and he did not want to sell to somebody like that. He told me he only wanted to "sell it to a good home" and to somebody that was acquainted with older stuff." I didn't believe his story - but it sounds like maybe he was referring to the same person you mention?

I think in NY it is discrimination not to sell something to someone because they are a woman. The guy is now guilty of a misdemeanor in the libturd state of NY.

He's got some stories, that's for sure. She sent pics on the spot to a guy here in Cal who has restored many Sunraders and he told her not to buy it If you can't do the repairs yourself it doesn't take much to make it a very expensive project. If she drove 4 or more hours to purchase this and he refused to sell, I'm sure she would have told me.

Linda S

I think in NY it is discrimination not to sell something to someone because they are a woman. The guy is now guilty of a misdemeanor in the libturd state of NY.

NY is certainly bad - but in some ways your home-state of Michigan suffers a worse case of lib-tard-ism than New York. At least we are one of the seven "At-Will" states when it comes to hiring and firing. How NY became one of the seven, I do not know. I DO give three cheers to Michigan with the somewhat conservative governor and the "Right-to-work" moves he's made. We are home schooling our last kid and grandkid. In NY - no problems. In Michigan? Up to a few years ago - there were cases of unions asking for union dues from stay-at-home mothers. The Union's reasoning was . . . a mom who stays home and takes care of her own child is robbing a union job from day-care worker . What a bunch of hooey! I don't think that can happen anymore in Michigan. At least I hope not. We may be moving there soon. I wish Michigan would fix it's car-insurance problem. In some ways it is the highest in the nation and the only state of fifty that requires uncapped medical insurance attached to car insurance. I checked rates in rural northern Michigan and they are six times higher then here in NY.

Re: discrimination. We all discriminate. If we didn't we'd be dead pretty fast. It is human nature and necessary for survival. Unfair or illegal discrimination is a different story. I doubt there is any law prohibiting an individual from selling - or not selling a personal possession based on any of the "protected classes." That being said, it would be foolish to admit it. Why tick someone off and get involved in a lawsuit? Even if the suit has no merit it will still cost both parties money. Businesses and government agencies have different requirements. I used to have employees and here in NY we have an "At-Will" state. I could fire anyone, anytime and not give any reason at all. But - if I DID voluntarily give a reason - it had better not violate any of the "rights" of "protected" people.

In the case of this seller - he told me the woman was "clueless." His alleged reason for not selling was her lacking knowledge and NOT because of her gender or sex. I don't believe his story since I suspect he'd be glad to get the money from anyone. But in all fairness - "ignorant" or "clueless" people are not yet members of any protected class I know of.

Frame looks mighty rusty to me, not like it had been parked under cover at all.

The frame isn't rusty to any real degree. Just surface rust like any 30 year auto is going to have unless it lived its life in a desert. No pitting and no signs of road salt damage. If it was a New York State vehicle that was used winters - the frame would be broken in half by now. I just junked a 1987 1 ton Toyota with that problem. I just had someone bring me a 2002 Toyota Echo to work on. Looked fairly clean from up top. I got it up in the air and found huge chunks of frame missing from rot. THAT is a crime. Japanese sheet metal used to be awful but I though the newer ones were improved. This 2002 Toyota is much worse then any other 2002 I've come across.

The frame isn't rusty to any real degree. Just surface rust like any 30 year auto is going to have unless it lived its life in a desert. No pitting and no signs of road salt damage. If it was a New York State vehicle that was used winters - the frame would be broken in half by now. I just junked a 1987 1 ton Toyota with that problem. I just had someone bring me a 2002 Toyota Echo to work on. Looked fairly clean from up top. I got it up in the air and found huge chunks of frame missing from rot. THAT is a crime. Japanese sheet metal used to be awful but I though the newer ones were improved. This 2002 Toyota is much worse then any other 2002 I've come across.

Wow, it might give me hope for my current frame.

Michigan is also an At will State, unfortunately we are a No Fault state in regards to insurance and divorce.

New York also has no-fault for car insurance. That's not the problem. Michigan is the ONLY state in the USA that requires uncapped no-fault. If some jerk decides to sue you for a trillion dollars and somehow wins -you (Michigan resident) are required to have insurance that will over it. No other state does that. I pay $130 every six months for auto insurance per vehicle. In northern Michigan - the cheapest quote I got was $700 for one rig. If I worked in Michigan and was lucky enough to have a job with a super-duty-great medical insurance policy - I might be able to get a medical insurance waiver.

I'm not picking on Michigan as if it's worst then NY. Only California gets that prize. There are many things in Michigan that are better then here in central NY. LIfetime license plates for trailers, no annual motor-vehicle inspection, much less intrusive home-school laws, a right to protest property taxes without going through the State Supreme Court, more Eminent Domain protection for property owners, etc.

I have very cheap insurance here in Cal on my Rv's. I own 3. rates per year are 130 for the Nissan Sunrader liability only, 180 for the Toyota Sunrader liability and collision covered for $6200 the purchase price.. and 238 for the Tiger Provan which is a 1993 so 7 years newer than the others. I think that's pretty darn cheap. I go to them every couple of years and show recent sales so my collision coverage hasn't gone down even though I bought the Toyota Sunrader 9 years ago

Linda S

dont forget no emissions restrictions... we can drive old diesels.

None here in New York either. No emissions for gas or diesels as long as they predate 1998 (or something like that). Gas vehicles newer then 1995 with OBDII systems must get hooked to the state computer to check for error codes but still -- no emissions check. Older vehicles are also half-price for the inspection sticker. All my 80s and 90s diesels cost $12 each per year. Cars with OBDII systems cost $21 and can be a huge hassle to get through inspection. In fact - I just gave up on my 2002 Subaru Impreza. It throws "nuisance" codes that I cannot fix myself. I'm taking it to Michigan and leaving it there. Subaru offers a fix that requires leaving the car at the dealer for at least two days and reprogramming the computer with new firm-ware. No thanks.

My son took my 87 diesel Suburban to his so-called "free" state of Colorado near Denver. First he had to pay a property tax assessor to come over his place and put a value on it so they can tax him (personal property tax). Then he tried to pass inspection and found out Colorado (Denver areas) requires diesels to put on dynos -lugged down- and infrared-scanned for smoke density in the tailpipe. He found out that there was no way that a non-turbo diesel could ever pass when run at an altitude of 6000 feet. He finally had to buy a Banks turbo-charger kit to pass inspection. Now I'm hearing that Colorado is passing new gun laws even wackier then here in NY. Hey - at least when I'm in Michigan - I can go to a Tractor Supply Store or Walmart and buy a sling-shot!. Not here in NY. A slingshot is considered near as dangerous as an AK47.

I have very cheap insurance here in Cal on my Rv's. I own 3. rates per year are 130 for the Nissan Sunrader liability only, 180 for the Toyota Sunrader liability and collision covered for $6200 the purchase price.. and 238 for the Tiger Provan which is a 1993 so 7 years newer than the others. I think that's pretty darn cheap. I go to them every couple of years and show recent sales so my collision coverage hasn't gone down even though I bought the Toyota Sunrader 9 years ago

Linda S

That sounds very reasonable. I've never had collision insurance in my life on anything so I don't know what it would cost. I have minimum liability on everything and it's $130 each per 6 months regardless if a diesel VW Jetta or a HD diesel truck. My 29 year old daughter just moved back to NY from Ohio and needed car insurance. She's got no accidents but did get some sort of DUI a few years ago. Geico wanted $350 for 6 months to cover her. I took her down to my agent who sells Travelers auto insurance and she got it for $175.

Actually to be accurate - I've had "collectors car" insurance with collision and it was only $300 per year. But - it was very limited about how many miles I could drive. That was for my Datsun 280ZX, 1918 Ford T and MGB. $300 for the first and $100 each for each additional - per year. Replacement value was predetermined and agreed upon when i got the insurance.