Thermostat replacement

I have an 85 Coachman. This year, I'm noticing that the coach A/C is blowing cold air but not cold enough. Doing some reading on the internet, I understand that I can replace this with a battery operated 12v thermostat, but that the wiring is tricky.

Has anyone done this, and if so, can they provide some clarity on the wiring? Is there a way to trick the existing thermostat into getting the A/C to blow cold air in the short term. Planning to take it out over the Memorial Day Weekend.

Thank you

A thermostat just turns the A/C compressor on or off. If the compressor is running and not making enough cold air then the A/C is bad.

That's the issue... the compressor won't stay on. It comes on for a bit and blows cold air, but it doesn't nearly get as cool as it used to because the compressor shuts off. When I screw around with the thermostat, it comes on again. I already messed with it enough to cause one of the two wires to come loose, which caused the fuse that controls the inside lights to blow. Crazy old RV!

There should be two wires coming out of the theromostat. Let things rest a bit and then turn on the A/C and short the wires, the compressor should kick on and stay on. If it cuts out then the A/C is bad. If it keeps runing then just buy the correct theromostat from an RV dealer.

I just picked up a honeywell 12v thermostat, but now am completely confused about where to put the two wires, as there's places for 6 (two come jumped) UGh.

Also, what had happened before was that when I was messing with it, one wire came loose and was blowing a fuse. Wouldn't this happen if I short the wires? As it is, my heater isn't working right anyway (something up with the gas, but I'll deal with it later this summer) so if shorting the wires works, can I just leave them like this. The A/C turns on manually anyway... it's just that it blows cool air unless the compressor comes on. (and the compressor is coming on periodically so I know it works.)

Thanks for the help. This should be simple, but I'm horrible at this kind of stuff.

http://thedoverguppy.com

Your A/C has a wall thermostat? Not one on the unit it's self? You guys are having way too much fun with the Guppy nice work!

Got a picture of the AC unit???