Information For Tow Hitch Wiring For 94' Itasca

DolphinRV

Maineah,

Is there any known companies that make a plug in harness for trailer hitch wiring for a 1994 Toyota Wiinebago Itasca will work without cutting into the factory wiring? I would like to find something that can plugin inline that are a 'Plug N Play' style that simply unplug the wiring that plugs into the rear tail lights and T-connectors inline with the factory rear taillight pugs? Something like the ones at this link: http://www.reese-hitches.com/vehicle_filter/T-Connectors,385

I would like something that is simply to unplug the factory plugin, plug the T-Connector inline, have rear trailer lights, without cutting up the original wiring. If you know of one that will work please give me the company name and the part model number.

Thanks, Ted

Edited by DolphinRV

I entered 1994 Toyota Pickup and it came back with a part number 118379. ($44.00)

This may work, you could probably look underneath and see if the factory connectors are still there and if it looks like they match the ones for the "T" harness.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

my 1988 sunrader had some ancient form of tap in connector plugs underneath the rig near the rear spare tire area on each side to I am assuming plug a harness into. I ended up using the squeeze splice connector and shrink wrapped em though as the plugs were so corroded they didnt pass voltage well enough to go for it on. took me maybe half hour tops to get the wiring sorted out with no help from anyone using a simple prod light and voltmeter.

I tried a place in Salinas, Ca months ago. They had a Draw-Tite plugin style T-connector for the same Toyota Truck year (94), but the connectors in the package were square. The connectors on the 94' Itasca rear tail lights are round.

I am beginning to think that Toyota or Winnebago changed/installed to different end connectors (round ones) on the Truck's rear light wiring so that it would match the end connectors for the coach/camper rear tail lights connectors.

Edited by DolphinRV

I only want to tow a small light trailer for an off road motorcycle. I need the lights working, but don't want to cut up the wiring up. This is my third Toyota Mototrhome. All the Toyota Motorhomes I've owned before had the wirings cut up and different things done to them by past owners. It sometimes becomes a wiring mess with lots of headaches and you don't know who's done what (and sometimes why, lol) The 94' Itasca is all factory wiring and nothing has been altered in the wiring dept. I want to keep it that way.

Ok the problem is the wiring at the rear is the coach makers and I doubt you'll find any thing that's plug and play don't forget the truck frame ended 2 feet back. You'll need a converter because the Toy uses a separate signal and stop light where as a trailer does not it's the same bulb. All of this stuff is available even at WalMart but it is going to involve connections. They should come with diagrams of what goes where but you most likely are going to have to cut and paste. Solder and heat shrink is about the best I can suggest.

If you want to build your own, This circuit should work. You need to use 5 or 6 amp diodes, available at Radio Shack for about $3.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-81286100-1368276043_thumb.jp

Yes, the purpose of the diodes is to "Combine" the turn signals with the brake lights

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I was under mine recently (new shocks) & took a look at my harness (93 winnie warrior). Noticed some connections about 1/2 between rear axle & back bumper. Since wiring for the holding tank sensors came out I think that harness was a a winnie product.No other hanesses in sight - and the one I saw went back to the rear I do not expect to see any toyota harness plugs, etc.

I was back under my camper again & took a better look at the wiring. There are wiring going down both sides of the frame which may be toyotoastuff. There are small 3 wire plugs on each side.

These harnesses are in addition to the larger harnesses that I think are winnie harnesses.

I plan to to go under & take photos soon, maybe I will get energetic & use my multimeter to see if those connectors are associated with brake/turn/running lights.

Went back under this morning. Did not shoot the wiring but there are 2 plugs on each side that appear to be part of the toy wiring harness system. I did not test them to see if they are associated with brake lights, tail lights or turn signals.

The attached photos show the plugs for one side. The round one is closer to the bumper. There is another set on the other side.

This is a 93 cab & chassis.

post-1354-0-40487800-1369495525_thumb.jp

post-1354-0-11479300-1369495645_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem with all my flatbeds. Round factory connectors. I want a plug and play setup as well. Not having any luck finding the convertors with the round connectors. So frustrating and seems like a common Toyota plug of some sort. Someone has got to make one for these trucks.