New stereo w/ backup cam

rigger camper

So as many of you know the view as you back up is not great. I decided to put in a new stereo with a back up cam. I found one on eBay for about $230. It plays dvd( don't see needing that) but also has GPS and Bluetooth. It is a no name brand from china but works great so far. It fit pretty easily after removing my old stereo and the pocket beneath it. A little work with a file on the original bezel and its in. My wife is now ready to take the rig out.

I've got two of them. Each was $85 new. Single DIN (to fit Toyota) AM/FM, DVD player, video screen, and rear camera port. Boss BD7200 model. Sonic Electronix has them as low as $79 but I chose the Boss due to its better reviews. I got the rear camera kits separately at $29 each.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21487_Boss-BV7200.html?from=16

Absolute Cam 470 for $29

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18685_Absolute-CAM-470.html

I was going to post a picture but no dice on the phone, I will try when I get home.

JD - where did you mount the camera? I put mine above my license plate and powered it from the reverse lights. It is slightly off center so will work out when my generator is back there.

I was going to post a picture but no dice on the phone, I will try when I get home. JD - where did you mount the camera? I put mine above my license plate and powered it from the reverse lights. It is slightly off center so will work out when my generator is back there.

I put it above the license plate.

• 4 weeks later...

Rigger camper, what head unit is that? It does have tilt screen? great for mounting lower. I got something similiar to it but it did not fit the '90 Itasca so I ended with the Pioneer instead

I wish I could tell you the brand. I was looking on eBay and found this unit. It was a tight fit and I built my own brackets but it came with the head and the camera. Now that I have had it in the road it us awesome. GPS works well and the camera picture is good even at night.I also enjoy the Bluetooth music capability. I did have to extend the video cable but had some bits in the garage. It is made in china and sometimes the wording is funny, while calculating your route it says "Enumerating junctions" (just seems funny to me)

I picked this unit partially because it was shipping from san leadro California and I knew I wouldn't have to wait long. If you are interested I could pm you a link

• 5 months later...

you know the info they both gave was so vague it could have been any of 20.

but on ebay the most interesting thing I saw was this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-LCD-Screen-Car-Rear-View-Backup-Parking-Mirror-Monitor-Camera-Night-Vision-/281166291593?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item4176d12289

the reason being why do you want to be looking DOWN towards your stereo when backing up? you want to look UP at the mirror. so you can glance left and right also.

correct me if im wrong. The actual back up camera is actually univeral between the two set ups. why buy a stereo for a back up screen?

There are many single din flip up screen radios out there even some brand names ones for around $125 Pioneer etc.many with touch screen they work great for the cameras and you can used them with the remote from the coach (while parked of course) I guess I don't see why looking down would be an issue can't see any thing any way that's the whole reason for a backup cam.

of course you dont have one or any experience.

have you installed a car stereo? or anything? You think it would be easier to install a car stereo than to install a rear view mirror?

honestly what am i supposed to say? am i supposed to tell you you make no sense or just not respond.

not more expensive you can get a back up lcd for 18$. I dont follow why you want one in your stereo.... because theres no reason. but if you needed a stereo too i suppose.

There comes a point where there is no longer any use of the mirrors when backing up with an RV and a camera becomes the main thing to make sure you don't back over the kids, the dog or the picnic table.so it does not matter where the monitor is as long as you can see it. All of the cameras output composite video. The stock radio is not exactly high tech and if you want to upgrade why not one with a monitor, usb, and touchscreen? I have not been real impressed with the $18 monitors one did not work at all and it took 3 weeks to get another one from China the second one lasted about 3 months and the one in the radio is still working 4 years on.

I've had one in both my motorhomes and my f350 dump. In my present motorhome I have a 70 degree field of view camera located up just below the three rear running lights looking down and back.. It can see about 50 feet behind and it can see my tail lights and bumper. The high vantage point gives a really great distance perspective for anything behind you. I can actually back up within an inch of something instead of wondering how close I really am. I also have the camera being fed with a switch for power instead of the reverse lights. That way I can turn it on at anytime. I do though plan to also feed power to the camera via a relay that will be powered from the reverse lights also. I also plan to be able to power my reverse lights directly from the cab from a switch. Just takes a bit of trickery with a relay and diodes.

That is next for me, but I don't want just a back-up camera, I want a hi res long view one so I can use it as a great quality rear view mirror while driving. I also want it to auto-dim at night. Like the one on the Subaru.

Also I drove it all night back from down south and the headlights are terrible, not even useful at freeway speeds. That's actually gonna be done real soon. I had never driven the rig after dark before and will not again till that is fixed.

My Tacoma has factory one that has a 1" square image in the rear view great for hooking up the trailer, the pickup however I can just have a look out the back window. I also mounted the camera high looking down on the MH. it really does give you a great view of all that's behind.

I installed a 120 angle camera I like the 120* more than the 70* because of the left to right view I can see at least a 1 highway lane on my left and right

installed a 6inch head unit for monitor & found out I don't like looking down while driving so I installed an extra rear view mirror camera its more natural to look at rear view...

on the head unit they have a "dim or lum) wire to dim the stereo when lights are turned on hook up your camera power to this wire and when you turn lights on your camera will power on...