compartment door locks

snail powered

The cam lock on my storage compartment door has the not very secure property of the ability to unlock it by inserting the tip of any small key even if it does not belong to that lock.

Does anyone know of a good brand of keyed cam locks where I can order multiples with the same key to use to replace the one on that compartment door and others too?

I am thinking the radial pin keys would be more resistant to being keyed open by the tip of a different key. Does anyone have this type and have you had any issues with them jamming and such?

RV supply houses have plenty of options they usually are 3/4 " or 7/8" long They do sell cam locks with the radial key you may have to get them from a lock shop though. They are pretty tough most vending machines use them. Standard RV cam locks do not have many different keys generally if some one has an RV key chances are fairly high they will fit your locks.

I bought a 5 pack of locks, all use the same key, and replaced all the locks on the exterior compartment doors.

JOhn Mc

88 DOlphin 4 Auto

I was also told by Camping World that almost all motorhomes have the same key for the exterior doors. Makes you feel really secure doesn't it.

Last fall I was at Devil's Tower NP talking to another camper and he told me that this could not be true. I tried my key on his MH and was able to open every compartment door. He was really upset.

I was also told by Camping World that almost all motorhomes have the same key for the exterior doors. Makes you feel really secure doesn't it.

Last fall I was at Devil's Tower NP talking to another camper and he told me that this could not be true. I tried my key on his MH and was able to open every compartment door. He was really upset.

They do make combination locks for compartment doors. At least with those you can choose your own combo. But I hesitate as I would think the dirt and moisture might become an issue in how well they function. Also harder to see when the light is not bright.

I thought about combination locks, but like you said, there is a lot of dirt to deal with. I stayed with the key locks. After all, if a person wants in the RV, they only need a 6 inch screw driver and they can pry the doors open.

We are stuck with trusting the people we camp next to. Locks only keep semi-honest people honest, they only slow down the crooks.

Karin,

I went to my local locksmith, showed him what I wanted (thickness of the doors, the direction of the key turning and the length of the lock levers) and he ordered up 5 or 6 lock sets for me. I think that he charged me about $7.00 per lock and they were all keyed a like! And, it was a quite simple for me to install each of them. Give them a squirt of Teflon spray each year, and they never get gummed up with dirt.

-Riverman77

I agree with locking the compartments I would rather they just opened them and stole what they want.I don't keep any thing in there that is worth much. Inside of the camper I have a secure compartment that I lock that would require some time and tools to open. There are a lot of co. that make RV safes that bolt to the floor. My side compartments have no locks just a twist to open. I think the only thing they could steal worth while would be my power cord and I can't lock it any way!

I agree with Maineah. If they want to get in I would rather have them open the compartment than destroy a probably irreplaceable access door.

Those locks are there to keep honest people honest. If I want your generator, I'll simply pop the door off with my pocket knife.

Don't keep anything of value in the compartments.

I would also recommend to NOT use key locks on LP or Frig doors.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Those locks are there to keep honest people honest. If I want your generator, I'll simply pop the door off with my pocket knife.

Don't keep anything of value in the compartments.

I would also recommend to NOT use key locks on LP or Frig doors.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

As I won't have any LP to worry about and my new fridge does not need an outside vent it won't be an issue for me. In fact I have to change out the handle on the former LP door to be a locking type. My old fridge vent doors will be replaced too. That is why I need to get new locks :)

Karin,

You had originally asked the question of what brand of lock folks may have used. Well, I dug up one of my packages that my locks came in. It is a "Uscan" brand, part #337486-0000-00, it also has another number: UC23058#UC381 on it. These lock sets also contained several lever styles and misc. parts to fit multiple applications. The faded price tag says $6.49 each. I've never had any problem of someone breaking into my RV - ever. The way that I see it; If a person has simple thumb turn latches on their compartment doors, a kid may be curious to open it. If a person has a keyed lock, a kid may look at the lock and continue walking on by. I hope that this is of help for you.

-Riverman77

Karin,

You had originally asked the question of what brand of lock folks may have used. Well, I dug up one of my packages that my locks came in. It is a "Uscan" brand, part #337486-0000-00, it also has another number: UC23058#UC381 on it. These lock sets also contained several lever styles and misc. parts to fit multiple applications. The faded price tag says $6.49 each. I've never had any problem of someone breaking into my RV - ever. The way that I see it; If a person has simple thumb turn latches on their compartment doors, a kid may be curious to open it. If a person has a keyed lock, a kid may look at the lock and continue walking on by. I hope that this is of help for you.

-Riverman77

I agree Riverman but since I need new locks I might as well get something decent with a bit more security. After all I am in a big city and there has been a recent crime spree in car break ins around here. Some thief came into the parking lot here, went right next to my motorhome and cut the brass fittings off the end of the hoses on the faucet. They will turn it in for $ at the metal recycling. Jacks and other stuff in the luggage compartment are also desirable chunks of metal. No car break ins though but I am not going to make it easy for them by having no locks on compartments or locks that are a total joke.