Hello everybody! I am new to this site and would like some advice. I have a 1989 Toyota Dolphin with 34,000 miles and it is a V6. The problem I have is the transmission slips at low speeds(5mph or less)

and does clunk everyonce in a while getting up to speed. It is very hard to know if it is high or low on

tranmission fluid because it is so hard to get it out. I purchased this unit last year from an older gentlemen and it is excellent shape otherwise. I would like to take a trip this year but I will need to do

something. Any suggestions as to what or where i take it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

Hello everybody! I am new to this site and would like some advice. I have a 1989 Toyota Dolphin with 34,000 miles and it is a V6. The problem I have is the transmission slips at low speeds(5mph or less)

and does clunk everyonce in a while getting up to speed. It is very hard to know if it is high or low on

tranmission fluid because it is so hard to get it out. I purchased this unit last year from an older gentlemen and it is excellent shape otherwise. I would like to take a trip this year but I will need to do

something. Any suggestions as to what or where i take it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

First things first it has to be full of fluid before you can go any further. 1 qt low maybe enough to make it slip at low speed. Can you elaborate on the slipping? There is not much inside the trans that would make it clunk I would think if any thing it's more likely to be some thing more like a u joint. With only 34K on it I would get to the bottom of the slipping if nothing is found the next step would be to do a complete trans fluid change and use synthetic fluid (flush with a machine) and then do the same thing every 30K and that trans should last 150K no problem. If you are going to take it to some one I would go to an independent trans shop and if they tell you they have to take it apart first before they can tell what's wrong take it some where else any shop worth it's salt should know what's wrong with a road test..

The slipping occurs at 2-5 miles per hour and not from a complete stop/start, only when moving. Yes, I do have an independent guy that works on all my vehicles that i do trust. I thought the clunking may be a u-joint. Is there a quick test i can do to check it?

Thanks

You are going to have to learn to deal with the dipsticks, the trans one is the most difficult. Ours was bent when we got it and it broke and we got a new one, same as the old one but not as bent up and in one piece.

Here's thw way I do it. First look at the bottom of it and you will see a slight bend 90 degrees to the length. Think of this like an arrow pointing to the front of the truck. First clean it real good, insert it with this tab pointing to the front and feed it into the tube not with the handle(as you would expect) but by grabbing it several inches above the tube and pushing it down that way. Repeat this untill you get to the several accordion bends just below the handle, by then it will go in easy. Watch out for the hi voltage wire getting caught by either the base or the hook part of the dipstick either direction. Do this several times in a row and you will quickly get a feel for it. It's not uncommon for it to get broke as most will try to use the handle, as in most cars, but that will not work with this. My friend has a newer Toyota car with a V-6 and has the same trans dipstick issues.

You are going to have to learn to deal with the dipsticks, the trans one is the most difficult. Ours was bent when we got it and it broke and we got a new one, same as the old one but not as bent up and in one piece.

Here's thw way I do it. First look at the bottom of it and you will see a slight bend 90 degrees to the length. Think of this like an arrow pointing to the front of the truck. First clean it real good, insert it with this tab pointing to the front and feed it into the tube not with the handle(as you would expect) but by grabbing it several inches above the tube and pushing it down that way. Repeat this untill you get to the several accordion bends just below the handle, by then it will go in easy. Watch out for the hi voltage wire getting caught by either the base or the hook part of the dipstick either direction. Do this several times in a row and you will quickly get a feel for it. It's not uncommon for it to get broke as most will try to use the handle, as in most cars, but that will not work with this. My friend has a newer Toyota car with a V-6 and has the same trans dipstick issues.

Yes I have no idea what they were thinking with the dip stick some early ones had a lock to keep it from coming out like it really might? An other real thrill is getting oil in it if is low. Once you get it out read the low side of the stick not the high mark.

The slipping occurs at 2-5 miles per hour and not from a complete stop/start, only when moving. Yes, I do have an independent guy that works on all my vehicles that i do trust. I thought the clunking may be a u-joint. Is there a quick test i can do to check it?

Thanks

Yes and no if it's just shot there will be play in the joint however often they lockup and seem good the only proper way would be to remove the drive shaft. More often then not it will be the rear most one because it gets the greatest range of movement.

Doug,

don't leave us hanging, let us know what you find out.

We're like Stump the Chumps on Car Talk.

We want to know if any of our guesses were correct.

transmission slipping would be fromm a dead stop.

im not suree youre describing slipping. meaning you give it gas and its going nowhere.

so it takes off fine and then slips at 2-5 mph?

real slipping I think do a transmission flush. I bought and sold 3 toyota trucks with slipping transmissions in 2012 that i fixed entirely with fluid changes and replacing the od card on the top. they were all made by the same aisin that makes our transmissions they are all almost the same transmission actually.

I also changed the fluid but not the filter on mine although it wasnt malfunctioning.so 4 toyota trucks and minivans in 2012 it was like a automatic transmission changing station in my driveway.

all walmart supertech dexron 6 get it its amazing. Its meant to do exactly that, clean the gunk out of a transmission that used the wrong transmission fluid for years.

• 2 weeks later...

transmission slipping would be fromm a dead stop.

im not suree youre describing slipping. meaning you give it gas and its going nowhere.

so it takes off fine and then slips at 2-5 mph?

real slipping I think do a transmission flush. I bought and sold 3 toyota trucks with slipping transmissions in 2012 that i fixed entirely with fluid changes and replacing the od card on the top. they were all made by the same aisin that makes our transmissions they are all almost the same transmission actually.

I also changed the fluid but not the filter on mine although it wasnt malfunctioning.so 4 toyota trucks and minivans in 2012 it was like a automatic transmission changing station in my driveway.

all walmart supertech dexron 6 get it its amazing. Its meant to do exactly that, clean the gunk out of a transmission that used the wrong transmission fluid for years.

An automatic transmission can slip in any range does not have to be from a dead stop. Any trans that is high mileage and has dark fluid should not have the fluid changed if you do you probably will be walking in about two weeks. Be careful of Walmart Supertech oils they are paraffin based oils, there are cheap for a reason. The ATF maybe fine but I would check the llabels before I poured any Supertech oil in some thing I owned.