Would anyone be interested in seeing a video of the Sunrader I'm working on?

Mikesta

I have a video of the 21' 25k mile rig that I'm in the process of flipping. I was going to keep it as a rental unit till I Looked at my piggy bank. I'll likely be selling it in a few months, but like everything... subject to change.

I think you need to list it on ebay. You will get the max price and who knows how high it could go. Description and presentation can add thousands to the price. Start bidding at 6000 and reserve at whatever you can handle letting it go for. Lower starting price gets things going and bidding gets people excited

Linda S

I've sold an rv on ebay... but it was 12 years ago! It sold for 5500... been a long time. Maybe someone will just have to have it and come across it. In the meantime, I'll be fixing i up so its worry free to the most point.

My friend Gail gets record prices on ebay for the toyota motorhomes she refurbishes.Details them to a perfect shine and finishes the inside like a luxury bed and breakfast. Towels ,linens just looks like you could live there immediately. Like I said presentation is everything

Linda S

ebay is good global exposure; but dont forget craigs list. increasingly I myself have bought things listed on craigs including my sunrader. #1 reason I like it? i find local stuff for sale and the seller is more amicable to lower offer because eBay isn't snatching 10% in fees and FVC.

No Idea yet.... I see them out there for 12-15k with higher mileage. What do you think a good price for it would be?

I tried to view the video but there was too much lag.

if it's in good working order and assumming it's tip-top shape 12-15k is not unreasonable.

Ok, here is 24 Minutes of your life you will never get back

lol...

looks super nice on the outside and well maintained. Interior seems a bit bulky and awkward, but in pretty good shape for its age. Nice camper overall.

@ price/flipping etc.

Camper would seem worth about $7.5K max to me. I'm sure you could milk somebody for more if that's what you get your kicks out of. Some ppl are just natural born used car salesmen and live for the chase of squeezing the most they can out of something. The bigger the sucker buyer the better. The ppl you bought this from were prob like me.. When it's time to get rid of something, we get rid of it.

• 4 weeks later...

lol...

looks super nice on the outside and well maintained. Interior seems a bit bulky and awkward, but in pretty good shape for its age. Nice camper overall.

@ price/flipping etc.

Camper would seem worth about $7.5K max to me. I'm sure you could milk somebody for more if that's what you get your kicks out of. Some ppl are just natural born used car salesmen and live for the chase of squeezing the most they can out of something. The bigger the sucker buyer the better. The ppl you bought this from were prob like me.. When it's time to get rid of something, we get rid of it.

I fully respect your opinion.

I think (fully my opinion) Fiberglass RV's of old that get good mileage and are still together (in good condition) actually demand more money. Todays technology is getting better and they are able to get more MPG out of some newer RV's however, you will also empty a good chunk of your wallet to obtain one. It really depends on who you are.

One thing that isn't arguable is that the Sunrader continues to climb in value as its one of a few Toyota campers that is still together (if kept outside). They are slowly hitting the junk yards but less often than other non fiberglass coaches. Its all perspective, you can buy another RV much cheaper but will it last long? and how much maintenance will you have to put into a wood/styrofoam camper vs a fiberglass one? Its the basics of supply and demand. As the years get along and GAS is still affordable, these rigs are actually an investment. You buy one, yea you might pay a lot more than another 30 year old camper.... but it won't go down in value if you take care of it. You use it for 10-20 years and take care of it with regular maintenance and then you resell it for market value. I'd compare the Sunrader to Gold. But this is only my feeble opinion.

If you factor in the hourly rate... then I work for less than 3 rice and 2 beans. Good point.

I bought a new 37' Diesel Puller coach in 2010 for my family, even new coaches off the factory floor have issues. Mine had 25k worth of warranty work the first year.

I need to do a ton to it right now, replace the screen door (kids went through it), replace a hinge on the door, fix the floor, buy replacement shades, figure out why the check engine light is on, fix one of the slide cables that broke (for the second time).... the list goes on and on and on. No matter what you buy, it will eventually break and require time and money, however what you buy up front and the condition of that is where you Start the endeavor. Modernizing a coach takes money too like you say... 80's/90's to today. You can fit a flat panel TV in there much easier! And technology for WIFI/MIFI is millions of times better (well because it didn't exist then). If you start with a coach that needs to be gutted and you can do the work - great, but if you are someone that simply wants to buy a dependable rig and use it turn key, the closer to new condition the better.

Very nice rig! I thought I was doing well finding one with 35k original miles. As to the value/sale, it will be worth a fair amount to the "right person" as others have said. I have appx. $7500 into mine as-is, and will undoubtably put another $500-1000 in before it's all said and done. I would expect to get $10k+ in it's current cond. - the value being, to me, it has been kept as original as possible. I agree that Sunraders, are especially valueable for the reasons you listed, and Toyhomes in general due to their fuel economy...but from what I've seen only the 4x4s fetch $15-20k+....for me the top things that provide resale value to something like this are maintenance records (and I mean extremely detailed - I keep receipts, fuel economy logs, pictures, etc.), milage, and mechanical condition (i.e., could I drive this accross the country right now)....

Of course mine had no documentation, a 5-lug rear-end, completely dry-rotted tires, and needed lots of TLC....but I got a pound of flesh off the price (30% off :)) knowing the money that went into her WOULD be and investment.

That's my $.02...

my rig has all new bearings, new trans, scavenged 1 ton axle and front 1 ton spindle brakes, entire new stainless exhaust , new tires, new bilstein shocks all around, new distributor cap and wires, new battery isolator and batteries. I find all that's left to do is put in LEDS and replace all hoses. I think it very well could be the most reliable of any vehicle i own now... no way i would sell it. priceless to me.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I've updated. I had this sold but the day before the arrival of the buyer, I took it on a 8 mile test drive - freeway and back roads - hills etc that loop. This is seriously the nicest toyota RV I've ever driven or owned. I get back and let it sit for a while, no issues.

Then I smell some coolant. On the drivers side of the engine block between piston 1 and piston 2, I see weeping water... slow slow drip running down the block when running. First thing I think is a lose hose. I let it cool and open the radiator. Fluid is low by a quart. Ok, I add a quart of water/coolant mix and start it up again.

With a small extension mirror, I stick it under the head and see the weep (engine running). Bummer. So when people say low mileage rigs can have seal issues it can be true. If a rig SITS for a long time with no use the coolant can turn to an acid and eat at the gasket and this is what I think happened here.

Keep in mind that I drove it 400 miles after buying it with 0 issue. When I picked it up, the coolant was FULL. I hadn't checked it until after my 8 mile trip 2 - 3 months later and it was only down a quart. From my reading, others have had this issue and have the weep when they just do short trips, however when they drive longer trips, the heat from the engine seals the gasket up, so you don't actually leak on longer trips. Definitely learned something here on this as I thought it was very strange that there is 0 coolant in the oil (drained it), no White smoke when starting and no cloudy material under the oil cap (all things you should look for - add water weep around the head gasket to that too now).

I'm posting my findings to help others on this forum. I didn't notice this upon pick up, but I wasn't looking :)

So, now I have this very nice sunrader sitting here collecting dust. Whats the action plan going forward?

1. I've ordered a complete engine overhaul kit from Toyota - I'm a toyota nut and will only use the OEM toyota stuff on my Land Cruisers. You only pay a little more for the right stuff.

2. I'm going to remove the hood and pull the engine completely out.

3. Over then next week/month, I will slowly and meticulously go through the engine, checking for any timing chain issues while I'm in there.

4. This will all be documented through video and pictures and probably posted up here in this thread.

The engine for the Land Cruiser / Camper is almost done, waiting on a head gasket and some head bolts, then about 20 hours build it then yank the existing engine and put the new on in. Then I start on this engine.

Stay tuned :)

That is a major bummer about the head gasket leak. Hoping mine doesn't suffer a similar fate as that is the only thing I haven't replaced. But overall it was regularly maintained and the coolant level remains stable...time & mileage will tell. Look forward to seeing it documented if you are able. Thanks

Ok, documented what I did today - quite a bit of video... 20 minutes maybe more of your life you will never get back... Maybe it will help someone that could use it.... little humor too... camera fail and word fail. If you laugh, I'm happy. Its good for the heart.

Thats it for today. Tomorrow is another day.

hmmm... don't know how to get it to show all the videos... just go to youtube.com and subscribe to my user handle fjtoys and you will get alerted each time a video is uploaded. ... yea, do that if you want to follow along and do this with me. Too much work to upload and update daily.... scotch... thats what my next project is :)

Just finished catching up. I had the same hold-up with the valve cover - realized those grommets, when depressed for x number of years, were essentially threaded onto the studs holding the cover down. Great resource, keep 'em coming!

Didn't get a ton done yesterday - Bunch of errands. Had to pick up an engine stand from a friend, some yard work, stop at Toyota to get a oil cooler seal for the 1FZ-FE engine and pick up a Hardtop/Windshield frame for my 78 FJ40 project I have. The freight came in from Alaska and the stuff is rust free which makes me a happy happy happy man.

Also got a bunch of stuff cleaned up but not video worthy.... just soak/scrub, dry and sort.

This morning I finally got in gear and put the 22r-e up on the stand. Came in played with my crazy kids (after smashing some blood out of my finger) and now heading back out.

Here is 13 in the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-fDXSQyVrE

Edited by Mikesta

Had to back burner this for a few days, almost wrapped up the 1FZ-FE engine that is going in the 80 series Land Cruiser that 'May' turn into a 4x4 camper conversion. Once that is in, I'll have room and be organized for the 22r-e.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished up the Land Cruiser (for the most part) Now that I have room, took down the engine today... cleaned cleaned and then cleaned some more. Got a little done, 1st seal has been replaced but that's where I got stuck. The overhaul kit didn't come with an oil pump seal??? whats up with that... oh well, tomorrow I will go to my local dealer and snag it up.

In this video series I show you the progress as I tear into the engine.... clean and a few ideas that you may like when organizing your workspace.

Part 14: http://youtu.be/0JMzOmTbYfw

Part 15: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RACruQ54OBM&feature=youtu.be

Part 16: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB90JfErZaA&feature=youtu.be - Tips and tricks and why changing oil is important - examples and comparison from another engine.

Part 17: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jio9a79f1qM&feature=youtu.be

And some pictures

post-499-0-22673400-1370231012_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-23416000-1370231016_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-55269400-1370231020_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-12403400-1370231025_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-41013700-1370231030_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-48098200-1370231035_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-37375100-1370231041_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-76666900-1370231045_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-63340200-1370231050_thumb.jpg

Got a little done last night - Engine is now sealed up (cept for the head up). Tonight after work, I'll begin assembly of the engine components and will get it ready to drop in. The head will go one once in the rig. Here's why. The two upper tranny to engine bolts are MUCH easier to access.

Here is a video from last night.

18. http://youtu.be/VzBNjrqgjIc

Little update - I'm getting a little worn out.... and I need to catch my second wind, but my goal is to get this sunrader back on the market by the weekend so I keep on trucking.

Today I made a video, but its just about cleaning the engine and after I watched it, decided not to upload.

The engine mounts were a little dirty and I could see a little bit of metal on metal rub so I threw them in the blaster and blasted them clean then threw 2 coats of primer on them and 2 coats of black GLOSS... Gloss... I know, but it was something I already had and I'm hoping that it will turn out good. They need to dry for a couple days in the sun before I mount it to the truck so had to get that part out of the way. Then I cleaned more... bolts and parts. I think all that cleaning is finally done. Then I turned my attention to the engine bay because we are getting close to dropping the engine back in. Here is a picture of the before and after... about 1/2 of the engine bay is done.

No one has commented on this thread in a while... do you still want to see updates? Let me know... as well as any advice or opinions. This thread is quiet.

post-499-0-12241600-1370409304_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-07328300-1370409605_thumb.jpg

I'm reading every post and watching every video. I don't know what to say though. How many times can I say wow what an awesome

Would be nice though if the title included 22re rebuild video's. That way people could find it for reference for years

Linda S

Thanks for your response! Yea, maybe a moderator can change it. The title is kindof ghetto anyway.

Maybe

Sunrader 22r-e overhaul - video and pictures inside - Mikesta's 25,000 Mile Sunrader fine tune project

or

Anal retentive guy decides to go through a Sunrader engine (starting at post 19)

or

(insert thread title here)

Thanks for your response! Yea, maybe a moderator can change it. The title is kindof ghetto anyway.

Maybe

Sunrader 22r-e overhaul - video and pictures inside - Mikesta's 25,000 Mile Sunrader fine tune project

or

Anal retentive guy decides to go through a Sunrader engine (starting at post 19)

or

(insert thread title here)

I'm a moderator and I coudn't figure out how to do it. Waiter Are you out there. I know you can figure it out. Well I guess you don't have to worry about me over-moderating.

Linda S

After all was inspected what was the problem? Where was leak coming from? Was it the head, head gasket, engine block or other. Keep up the great videos and pic's.