$800 pop-top 1987 Sunrader with 1 ton FF rear and 6 lug fronts

zero

I instantly fell in love with this thing the moment I saw it. $800 is pretty cheap for any 1987 Toyota RV. I just got done looking at an 18 foot fixed-roof Sunrader for $1500 when I found this thing. I did not know any Toyota pop-tops existed with full floating rears.

I'm trying to find a way to get it, but it's 1200 miles from me. Not sure I can get it done this time of year.

post-6578-0-33375500-1362496119_thumb.jp

Well anything made 1986 or later would have a full float axle. The Suntader Adventure's are pretty rare. 800 is a crazy cheap price. There were some pop tops made by Odyssey into the 90's called a Starlite and they had the v6 engine. Also have seen one Easy Ryder that was an 87 and a pop top

Linda S

Well anything made 1986 or later would have a full float axle. The Suntader Adventure's are pretty rare. 800 is a crazy cheap price. There were some pop tops made by Odyssey into the 90's called a Starlite and they had the v6 engine. Also have seen one Easy Ryder that was an 87 and a pop top

Linda S

By "anything" do you mean any Toyota-based RV or just Toyota Sunraders? I ask because I've looked at several Toyota Bandits and some 1987 model years did not have the full floating rear. All the 1988 and 1990 models I saw did.

By "anything" do you mean any Toyota-based RV or just Toyota Sunraders? I ask because I've looked at several Toyota Bandits and some 1987 model years did not have the full floating rear. All the 1988 and 1990 models I saw did.

No I have never seen any Toyota motorhome made after 1985, meaning 1986 and up without a full float axle. I have seen many older models that the owner clained were newer though. Toyota already knew in 86 that the non full float axles were becoming a problem. There is no way they would have sold 1/2 ton axle to a motorhome manufacturer when they had a 1 ton alternative. Just because the recall didn't happen until 1992 didn't mean they didn't know it was coming.

Linda S

Currently, I think that I am the only one on this Forum who has an Adventure. I've worked on cleaning up the interior and fixing all the leaks that appeared after the move from dry CA to rainy WA. Too bad there aren't pictures of the interior and the other side of the rig to get a better sense of the condition. Mine is very nice to drive and holds road well better than my '77 Bandit did. Sue

No I have never seen any Toyota motorhome made after 1985, meaning 1986 and up without a full float axle. I have seen many older models that the owner clained were newer though. Toyota already knew in 86 that the non full float axles were becoming a problem. There is no way they would have sold 1/2 ton axle to a motorhome manufacturer when they had a 1 ton alternative. Just because the recall didn't happen until 1992 didn't mean they didn't know it was coming.

Linda S

I've looked over two 1987 model-year Bandits that did not have full-floaters. I cannot say with 100% certainty all was original. I know the Toyota ID stickers had the production dates in late 1986 (i.e. 1987 model years). I was told they were original but, who knows? I don't know what exactly Toyota sold or didn't sell, nor do I know how some small companies sourced the chassis's they used. I worked for a company that sold utility trucks and bought new trucks with factory boxes on them. They then removed and sold the new boxes and then installed their own stuff. I don't know much about the company that made Bandits but I assume they could of opted to buy complete 1/ 2 ton trucks with boxes instead of bare 1 ton chassis models. Toyota would have no say in that as long as the GVW wasn't exceeded.

Currently, I think that I am the only one on this Forum who has an Adventure. I've worked on cleaning up the interior and fixing all the leaks that appeared after the move from dry CA to rainy WA. Too bad there aren't pictures of the interior and the other side of the rig to get a better sense of the condition. Mine is very nice to drive and holds road well better than my '77 Bandit did. Sue

For $800, I don't care if it's gutted inside if the rest looks OK. A non rusted out Toyota with 1 ton running gear with a sound RV body is well worth the price.

On a side-note - I just read that Chinook was offering pop-top Toyotas new and empty inside as an option. Sort of as a new "cargo van" or "do it yourself" RV.

You're right--- $800 is cheap and a great deal--if not rusted out. On my Adventure, the refrigerator vent is on the other side so I was curious about interior layout and whether the stove and ref were together in one kitchen area. One of the Adventures that I have only seen in pictures had no toilet/shower facilities. Interesting about the do-it-your-self interior Chinooks. Sue