Water Heater Pilot Switch

I have a 1988 Odyssey and I am trying to figure out the water heater. I see the big red dial that I am supposed to switch to pilot, thus allowing the red button to be pushed down. However, I just can't turn the thing. Is it really difficult? Do I need to loosen something first? Thanks!

have you tried pushing down on the the red butten and then turning it. then it should turn to the pilot then you push the small red butten hold down and light the pilot after one min let up should stay lit turyn big knob too on main burner lights with a roar.

have you tried pushing down on the the red butten and then turning it. then it should turn to the pilot then you push the small red butten hold down and light the pilot after one min let up should stay lit turyn big knob too on main burner lights with a roar.

it feels like the button doesn't go down when the switch/dial is in the off position. I looked at the dial and it seems like there is a cutout for the button to go down once it is in the proper position. I will try tomorrow as I am not by the RV now. Thanks for the response!

The button will not go down in the OFF position, you need to move it to the PILOT position. Thats the little cutout you mentioned that the button will fit into when you press it.

Make sure you have water in the tank, run the hot water for a couple minutes before lighting the tank, (this needs to be done if you have drained the tank for winterization). The goal, you must have water in that tank before lighting it.

Run the stove for a couple seconds to make sure there is propane in the lines.

Use a long fireplace lighter, hold the button down. once the pilot lights, keep holding the button down for 15 seconds, when you release it, it should stay lite.

Turn the red knob to the temperature setting, in about 30 seconds the heater will lite.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The button will not go down in the OFF position, you need to move it to the PILOT position. Thats the little cutout you mentioned that the button will fit into when you press it.

Make sure you have water in the tank, run the hot water for a couple minutes before lighting the tank, (this needs to be done if you have drained the tank for winterization). The goal, you must have water in that tank before lighting it.

Run the stove for a couple seconds to make sure there is propane in the lines.

Use a long fireplace lighter, hold the button down. once the pilot lights, keep holding the button down for 15 seconds, when you release it, it should stay lite.

Turn the red knob to the temperature setting, in about 30 seconds the heater will lite.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks. I'll try all of this. It just seems like the red knob wont turn. I'm wondering if it is just stuck. Just worried about breaking it haha.

Don't push the red button down until the other knob is in the pilot position. The red button does not turn just push down. Once the dial is in the pilot position then press the red button down and hold it, light the pilot continue to hold for maybe 20- 30 seconds then release the the pilot should then stay lit if so then you can turn the knob to on.

Don't push the red button down until the other knob is in the pilot position. The red button does not turn just push down. Once the dial is in the pilot position then press the red button down and hold it, light the pilot continue to hold for maybe 20- 30 seconds then release the the pilot should then stay lit if so then you can turn the knob to on.

haha I can't turn the knob to the pilot position, that is the problem.

There are several different styles of these valves, can you take a photo of it.

I suspect that with either style, if you can't move the control knob from OFF to PILOT, then the valve is probably froze up. If this is the case, I probably wouldn't trust it, even if I got it unfrozen. May be time for a new valve.

(If you need to replace the valve, you may consider going to the next level and replace the 30 year old water heater, $250 - $350)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

haha I can't turn the knob to the pilot position, that is the problem.

Yeah not good. see above^ I did have a thought though I have seen some units that the control knob needed to be pushed in before they can be turned but I'll bet you have all ready tried that..

So I was able to visit it today and shot some photos... So the red knob that is currently in the off position is what I can't move. It jiggles a little bit but wont rotate. And the other photo is what I think shows the make and such. Thanks!!

1988 Toyota Odyssey 22'.

post-6957-0-34879500-1361240892_thumb.jp

post-6957-0-24314200-1361240894_thumb.jp

Well, it certainly looks like you got mileage out of it. Looking down at the top, the big knob should turn about 90 deg CCW to the PILOT position and a slot in the knob will be under the push button.. ( I see your missing the front knob also.)

It may be hard to turn, give it a try.

If you really will be using hot water, you probably should consider a new heater.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I SEE YOUR MISSING THE FRONT KNOB . mine is also but i did not know it was suposed to have one mine doesnt look any different but still works ok .

UPDATE:

I was able to quickly check it out today and I used a robo grip to rotate the dial and I tried to push the pilot down and it seems to be working. It's raining where I am, though, so I will fully test it later. Thanks for all the help!!