83 Sunrader Propane (Etc.)

I need some help here, my Sunrader has a horizontal tank that appears to have an "PDQ" (i have no idea what this means) OPD. This is a conundrum to me, because as far as I've read only BBQ tanks (vertical) are suppose to have these. Please help me identify what type of tank this is and weather I need to replace it, the hose, the regulator, etc. I want this thing SAFE and able to be refilled. As is, there are no propane leaks that i've been able to detect and all gas appliances work. As always, thanks for all the feedback and assistance!

post-6543-0-26425100-1360074838_thumb.jp

post-6543-0-08705900-1360074862_thumb.jp

post-6543-0-86870100-1360074860_thumb.jp

Pat, good catch;

It appears as if someone installed an OPD on your horizontal tank. The problem isn't the OPD float, the problem is the pickup tube, or in the case of BBQ tanks, the lack of one.

Find a LP place that services / sells tanks.

The question you need to ask;

"Are you familiar with older style 20 lb horizontal tanks",

If the answer is yes then ask the next question:

"Are you aware that they are exempt from the OPD valve requirement"

If the answer is Yes, ask the next question;

"Can you inspect this tank and tell me if it has the correct valve and pickup to operate safely in the horizontal position, as it appears as if someone installed a standard OPD valve on this tank."

I am not aware of any OPDs (the center mounted ones) that can operate with a horizontal tank. The newer horizontals have the valve and OPD new the top of the tank.

You might want to check around on Craigs list or e-bay for a tank.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Derek, Thats a good price.

This summer, I'm going to look at my setup to see if I can get two BBQ tanks in the compartment (need to modify the compartment) and hook up one of those automatic changeover regulators. If not, I'll probably buy another horizontal, and just carry it inside the way I do now.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John it looks like he has a bleeder tap so it's probably an older horizontal tank. I don't think it can be be certified there is no fixing it the only ones they will recertifiy are the ones with the valve off center because of the shutoff float..

I encountered the same thing as Maineah mentioned - here in NY. I tried three gas places and none will fill a 20 lb. horizontal tank with a center-mounted valve. It must be off-set to be recertified - at least around here. There are places selling brand new horizontal tanks for $80 if you want one. With mine - I'm removing the tank from the recessed compartment and putting a pair of deep-cycle batteries in there. I'm going to stick a vertical tank on the back bumper - but keep the regulator in that compartment out of the weather.

The older ones are exempt from the OPD valve. Now, thats not to say that the folks that refill are willing to refill it. I've never had a problem getting mine refilled, I keep a copy of the exemption on my glove box.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

LP Tank non-OPD Label.pdf

I've read horror stories about storing propane bottles horizontally. Can someone please tell me if the way my propane bottles are stored in my 82 Sunrader is okay? (See photos below)

Thanks

post-3879-0-56323100-1360106530_thumb.jp

post-3879-0-86495200-1360106542_thumb.jp

post-3879-0-06527300-1360106555_thumb.jp

post-3879-0-51415400-1360106567_thumb.jp

The older ones are exempt from the OPD valve. Now, thats not to say that the folks that refill are willing to refill it. I've never had a problem getting mine refilled, I keep a copy of the exemption on my glove box.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Yes they are because they have a bleeder that has to be opened in order to fill it but if the tank has an expiration date it can not be refilled. Will they check? not too likely if it stays in the MH.

I've read horror stories about storing propane bottles horizontally. Can someone please tell me if the way my propane bottles are stored in my 82 Sunrader is okay? (See photos below)

Thanks

Your tanks are cool they are mounted they way they belong and they are modern tanks. The problem is storing/using tanks where they can allow liquid propane into the lines laying on their sides if not designed to or up side down. Propane boils at around -40 so if liquid is allowed to escape it expands instantly into vaporized propane. The new OPD tanks have a float inside that prevents this or so it says in the fine print all though as near as I can tell it all goes out the window if it's completely upside down. I'm going to try that when I fill a tank at the camp ground next summer inquiring minds want to know.

I encountered the same thing as Maineah mentioned - here in NY. I tried three gas places and none will fill a 20 lb. horizontal tank with a center-mounted valve. It must be off-set to be recertified - at least around here. There are places selling brand new horizontal tanks for $80 if you want one. With mine - I'm removing the tank from the recessed compartment and putting a pair of deep-cycle batteries in there. I'm going to stick a vertical tank on the back bumper - but keep the regulator in that compartment out of the weather.

Do you have a site for the $80 tanks? I'm sure there are a lot of campers that would jump right on that, that's a good price.

@waiter - Thanks! I was afraid that was the case. From what I've gathered here it seems like these Propane-service places are a mixed bag as far as knowledge/experience goes.

@jdemaris - That's what I'm thinking I might do too. Seems like rear mounting a vertical tank would be a lot easier (and cheaper?) when out and about rather than chasing down a pricey horizontal tank and finding places knowledgeable enough to fill it safely.

I've got some digging to do I guess...I'll post up pictures once I figure out what direction I go. Any cons to the rear vertical tank mount idea? Has anyone done this with success/failure.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and support!

Edited by Sunrading Arkansas

Maineah, My local propane place re-certified mine, $5, all they did was a visual inspection and leak check, They normally check the OPD valve on recert, but since I don't have the OPD valve, theres nothing to check..

Patrick; As for the rear mounted tank. I've seen a couple, you obviously know the risk.

Stevo, I love those tanks. Thats the way to go, dual tanks with the auto switchover regulator.

JD; whos selling horizontals for $80. I'd love to get a spare, and thats a price I can afford.

I have had no trouble at filling my two vintage horzontal tanks got them recerified five dollors each they are older then the moterhome 1973 and 1972 but in great shape . had setting up in my truck and the guy said you will have to get a new valve. but i said it is a horzontal tank HE SAID O THEN NO PROBLEM.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN VERY OLD TANKS WITH A EXP DATE ONLY A DATE OF MANUFACTUR BUT AROUND HERE WA STATE THEY ONLY FILL OLD HORZTONAL TANKS THAT HAVE A RECERTIFACTION STICKER AND TO GET THAT YOU HAVE TO GO TO A LARGE BULK DEALER THE SMALL FILL UP GUYS ARE NOT AUTHERIZED TO DO THAT > ONCE DONE YOU CAN FILL UP AT THE SMALL PLACES.

HI KARIN IS THAT ONE OF THOSE BUILT IN TYPE TANKS THANKS FOR THE NICE OFFER I AM SHURE SOMBODY CAN USE THE ITEMS IF I LIVED CLOSER I WOULD BE GLAD TO HELP YOU BUT I DONT GET ON THAT SIDE OF THE MOUNTAINS MUCH

Has anyone tried to fit the 30# horiz propane tank into a Dolphin?? Holds more but doesn't cost much more. Based on the measurements from the websites it will fit inside , but can you get it inside??? Don't know anyplace around here I can get one to try, do not want to buy it if it will not fit ;)

I thought I seen a comment thread where someone put in a 30lb. I carry a spare tank (20lb) but its a vertical BBQ and I can only use it when I'm stopped overnight If I get a spare horizontal, at lease I can swap them out and then get the empty refilled at my convenience.

Of course, modifying the compartment to accept two vertical BBQs would be the ultimate. I'm still looking into that. (as soon as it gets warmer outside)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

JD; whos selling horizontals for $80. I'd love to get a spare, and thats a price I can afford.

I mis-stated a bit. They had them for $89 last month. I just went back and looked and now the price is $140. I almost orderd one for the $89 but decided to mount a vertical tank on the back bumper instead. Easier to get at and easier to get filled (via exchange).

http://www.propanetankstore.com/shop/20-lb-5-gallon-horizontal-tank-cylinder-with-gauge/

i seem to recall somone did put a 30 # tank on a DOLPHON they said it was a tight fit. even at that PRICE MIGHT BE A GOOD DEAL AROUND HERE THEY OFTEN RETAIL FOR 200$I BOUGHT MY SPARE IN A wreak YARD FOR TEN$

JD, We'll need to watch that site, $89 is a very good price if we can catch them on sale.

5Toyota - Yah, I remember that also., It wasn't to long ago, because I thought they were talking about a permanent tank, but they said it was a tight fit in the compartment.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

@Waiter - You were definately right; one of the previous owners installed a standard OPD in my Horizontal Tank (as is stamped on the valve guard "For Horizontal Use"....not anymore, ugh).

Camping World wants $300+ for a new Horizontal Tank, even $149 is just too much. BUT, here's another idea I had:

MY PROPANE COMPARTMENT DIMS are 24'W x 12.5"D x14"H.....so what about an 11lb vertical tank (or 2 side-by-side in tandem?) - http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tank-10393-1-ACME-Vertical/dp/B000C77UYA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_3

Any reason why this wouldn't work? With one 11lb. would I be running out all the time?

Thanks,

Patrick

Pat; Very interesting idea. When compared to a single horizontal 20lb, there are definite advantages.

Obviously an 11 lb will run out twice as fast as the 20lb, but if you had an auto switchover regulator, when one runs out, it switches over, and you take the empty and get it refilled. When the 20lb horiz runs out, your SOL until you get it refilled. ( I have a long hose on mine so I can set a BBQ tank outside, but obviously, its hard to drive down the road like that. :-)

With the 11lb, You can't do one of those midnight BBQ tank exchanges, (but you can't do that with a horizontal either)

Cost would be similar, I think JD had a link to about $100 for a horizontal, you might check craigs list or even the propane service places to see if they have any used ones.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I think I'm going to go with one 11lb.er to start, and if it proves to be too little capacity I'll put another in with an auto switchover regulator. I have read several reviews of the Manchester Horizontals only accepting 3.2 gal. when "full"....i'll sleep on it and order in the AM. Thanks!

do you already have an 11 pounder those are 50 dollors each anything but a 20 pound upright bbq tank is expensive. you might check someyards wreck outfits

@5Toyota - thanks for the tip, there's a huge RV salvage yard 60miles from me and I'll check it out.

In the meantime I did buy an 11lb tank to get it on going sooner and if I decide I need more I'll have the option to put another in next to it...we'll see. It should be in this week, so I'll post pics once it's in.

i like to carry a upright tank for bbq colman stove good to have even if you find another horzontal tank.

• 1 month later...

Here's the way I went:

post-6543-0-50008800-1365524527_thumb.jppost-6543-0-01842100-1365524547_thumb.jp

I have a 12ft hose so when I'm stopped I disconnect from the 11# and connect to my 20# BBQ tank which is Bumper Mounted (at least that's the set-up for now). I may look into a used undercarriage mountable tank at the RV salvage yard in Carthage,MO so I can utilize the rest of that compartment for additional house batteries....we'll see. For now this set-up works very well.

EDIT: Just a note, if anyone decides to follow my lead - be careful when removing/tightening the battery clamps...especially with a ratchet/socket-wrench...it can be an ELECTRIFYing experience :hyper:

This might be a dumb question but is it cool to store a propane tank in the same compartment as a battery, or does it depend on what kind of battery you have?

Here's the way I went:

I have a 12ft hose so when I'm stopped I disconnect from the 11# and connect to my 20# BBQ tank which is Bumper Mounted (at least that's the set-up for now). I may look into a use undercarriage mountable tank at the RV salvage yard in Carthage,MO so I can utilize the rest of that compartment for additional house batteries....we'll see. For now this set-up works very well.

@Stevo - from what I've researched there are many RVs (mainly 5th wheels) that house both in the same compartment without issue. From what I've read the possibility of issues is etremly minute....plus I figure if you own one of these Toyhouses (being over-weight, under-braked, and pre-stringent safety standards) you must, to some extent, be an adrenaline junky. B)