Engine shakes when starting and turning off only.

Hi, I have a 91 V6 fuel injection. I don't know why the engine shakes when I starting the engine. Either when it is cold or warm. It also shakes when I turn the engine off. But it shows no sign of shaking when driving or idling. Has anybody experienced such a thing? Please share your thought if you would.
Thanks and have a great day.

Hi, I have a 91 V6 fuel injection. I don't know why the engine shakes when I starting the engine. Either when it is cold or warm. It also shakes when I turn the engine off. But it shows no sign of shaking when driving or idling. Has anybody experienced such a thing? Please share your thought if you would.

Thanks and have a great day.

My first guess would be a broken rubber engine mount.

Yes but I have a feeling that it has to do with a tune up. I have had a car with a broken engine mount. It shakes at idle speed also. I just changed the spark plugs and is doing a little better. Thanks.

Kind of hard to diagnose while I'm sitting behind a keyboard. Broken mount is just a quick guess based on the info you gave. Need of tune up is not going the make the engine shake when you shut if off. Once the key is "off" there is no more ignition to the engine, and if fuel injected - no more fuel either. Yet it still has some momentum and turns a bit after shut-down. A engine is not well balanced at very low RPMs and with a bad rubber mount will often shake just after the key is turned off. Same when first cranking it at 300 RPM. If shaking when running - yeah - plenty of other possible causes.

It took more time to write this then it would to stick a pry bar under the engine and check for a broken rubber mount. If not broke - very easy to move on to another hypothesis.

Thank you JD for the information. I will definitely check the engine mounts first thing in the morning (once I localize them). The shake is not sever. But in comparing with the other V6 that I had before it shakes abnormally and I plan to travel to California because I lost my job and the house (that I thought it was half mine!) back in Utah. So I have to make sure that things are dependable on the RV. I am going to change the spark plug wires with Bosch wires from Auto Zone since there is no Toyota dealer here in Mesquite Nevada. I also found out that the distributor on the rig is an aftermarket from Auto zone.

so sorry to hear you are unemployed as i have been there i was on the floor for 28 years when they closed the shop i worked at i was 58 . i feel sorry for the younger people. i was one of five who were able to get disability i have been in four wrecks have been on ret for two years

My V-6 got noticable smoother after the exhaust valve shim replacment, the first time I noticed a difference from adjusting the valves on a motor. According to the mechanic they were all at or inside the minimum. Was at 86,000 miles.

My V-6 got noticable smoother after the exhaust valve shim replacment, the first time I noticed a difference from adjusting the valves on a motor. According to the mechanic they were all at or inside the minimum. Was at 86,000 miles.

This^ that is what it sounds like to me have some one check the compression if a valve adjustment is tight it will lower the compression it's not an easy job but if an adjustment is needed it is cheaper then a valve job.

Hi, I haven't been kept track of the gas mileage. I will find out and go from there. The spark plug wires from Bosch wouldn't even go inside the distributor end so I returned them. Will check into Napa's wires to see if they fit. I was hoping that there was a start up unit on the injection side that needed cleaning or some thing. I have to find out how a fuel injection motors starts out . I kind of know how a carburetor engine starts. Good day .