21' 22r 4speed vs 6000ft elevation thoughts and observations

aptruncata

Over the weekend i've packed up and decided to take the toy up to the local mountains for a little endurance test. Although i would have liked to take it up to the eastern sierras for the test, i'd figured i would be better off i broken down 2+ hours closer from home.

The starting elevation was around 1600ft, total distance to 6000ft was 23 miles of curvy uphill road.

Almost all climbs were done on 3rd if not 2nd gear averaging about 20-30mph most of the way.

I've used most of the turnouts to let others pass. At about 4500ft + i've noticed third gear was becoming useless and above 5500ft to 6000ft, i was on 2nd gear the entire time going about 15-20mph.

Overall, i'm glad to be back home safe and was impressed that it made it up to 6000ft and back without any mechanical problems. I wouldn't consider taking it anywhere higher than 6000ft based on how sluggish it became up there. I had a full tank of gas, all water, grey, black tanks empty, wife, 80lb lab and two 10lb dogs.

What roads were you using. I've been up US-50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe, there are a few places I found myself creeping up in 1st at 25 mph. The highest I've been is 11,100 ft, Eisenhower tunnel I-70 Colorado (just west of Denver)

As the Forum Logo says;

"Moving at the speed of Parked"

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I don't remember auto or manual. I have auto and second is good almost up to 50mph. At 15 to 20 mph you should have been in first. They don't like to kick down to first though so I down shift manually. Nothing you mentioned would send off red flags to me. Thats how they run

Linda S