Who's owned a Volkswagon van?

stamar

It comes up a lot that a lot of toyhome owners had a volkswagon van.

I had two I had a 68, first year of bus. non pop top westphalia

and an 81 2nd year of the vanagon. automatic. for less that one year

Would never ever own a bus again. I think about it every once in a while and then I try to hug my toyhome.

when you think about them they are kind of ridiculous.

I think my 68 vw had 60 hp.

Stamar,

I once had a '73 Westfalia bus. It had a pop top, sink, bed and cabinets. I think it had a 1700cc engine, dual carbs & automatic trans. I gave it to my nephew for him to live in up in the mountains. He was at that roughing it and adventurous age and he enjoyed his permanent camping vacation very comfortably.

-Riverman77

• 4 months later...

About 6 years ago my first venture into the an Rv was a 1972 VW Westfalia Pop top in Sierra Yellow, with a sink and a bed.. The bus was in ok shape on the inside when I got it but it was minus the motor. I ended up trading a Tomos Moped for a rebuilt motor. it was a 1600 Single port, rated at 55 HP. I loved it, but there wasn't enough room or amenities to do any serious traveling. I used it as my daily driver for about a year, and traveled all around Florida. I miss it, but as you say Stamar, they are pretty ridiculous.

My first daily driver was a 69 vw van. My dad was the original owner and it was sweet for a 16 year old surfer. I took it on surf trips all over and could put a bunch of friends in it. I drove it to Missouri and Colorado a few times and it was a love palace if I could coax a girl inside. I really miss that old car, I guess that makes me pretty sick. I'm a gear head and miss all my old cars. I've never owned a vehicle I didn't love. That's probably why I've have the same truck for 23 years.

Been around a lot longer then 68 I had a 63 (36 HP with reduction gears) used to take it to the drive in movies on one price per car night and park it side ways with 4 couples. All you ever would want to know about the VW bus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Type_2_(T1)#T1

And even longer.

I had a 58 first camper conversion made by dormmobile. 68 21 window delux. 69 first bay window camper and currently a 71 camper last year for the 1600 upright.

The first VW bus was made in 1949.

I want to sell my VW and find a 4x4 camper but currently happy to hit the road tomorrow with the family in the warrior to see the country. Looking to go from Fl to WA and back again in 5 weeks. We are letting the kids 14 and 10 pick our destinations. I'm sure I'll be posting on the road. Still need to upload the work we did to get ready for this adventure. Anyway loved the vw's more then anything till I saw a old 4x4 chinook now that's a camper with an attitude.

• 2 months later...

I just saw this thread. I have a beauty of a westfalia. Needs nothing, has a strong 2.1 water boxer. We've done lots of work to it, and it is dependable and fun. It has aftermarket air and the fridge works. . Last month I drove it to Los Angeles and back (from NM). it is peppier than the 4 cyl toyota dolphin we just bought. In LA traffic, it did fine, people smile and let me in when I needed to change lanes, and it had to be the soft spot for VW westfalias.

Main difference in the two is, of course, space. The dolphin has more of it, and a bath/shower. We have lots of stuff to make the Westy work. Pop up outhouse/shower room included. But the dolphin is much more convenient to pack and set up, more floor space for our two big dogs. Less water in Westy, but less weight too. Love the dolphins cabin ac, hot water, rear kitchen floor plan, furnace for cold nights, comfy, easy bed.

Love the Westy for ability to just about park anywhere, sitting up high with great visibility, and hate to say it, it is so cool.

I really love them both!

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have a 73 Westphalia. Gone is the wheezy, hot, tired VW engine. It has a Toyota hemi (1600 2TC) in it now and it will absolutely fly. It cruises easily at 70-75, flies uphill in fourth gear and will easily pass others on the open road. It averages about 22-23 mpg. The nostalgia factor is great and it always gets attention. The radiator is mounted parallel to the engine in the back, so no one knows what is powering the bus.

This is a true, genuine hybrid since it is an amalgamation of Toyota and VW and because of the engine design it really is a hemi. It is affectionately called the Toyobus. I feel I have the best of both worlds.

I currently have a 73 Westphalia. Gone is the wheezy, hot, tired VW engine. It has a Toyota hemi (1600 2TC) in it now and it will absolutely fly. It cruises easily at 70-75, flies uphill in fourth gear and will easily pass others on the open road. It averages about 22-23 mpg. The nostalgia factor is great and it always gets attention. The radiator is mounted parallel to the engine in the back, so no one knows what is powering the bus.

This is a true, genuine hybrid since it is an amalgamation of Toyota and VW and because of the engine design it really is a hemi. It is affectionately called the Toyobus. I feel I have the best of both worlds.

Sounds kind of neat with a water-cooled engine transplant. Maybe your rig now actually has some functional heat and windshield defrosters? The air-cooled versions were awful in winter conditions - even when the heat-exchangers were still intact. Mine had a optional gasoline-fired heater.