Hi,

I have a 91 warrior, I drove it from SLC Utah to mesquite Nevada (about 300 miles). When I looked under the differential I see wetness from the oil, I took a closer look and it seems that the gasket is not leaking. And around that little vent that looks like a tire valve oil seemed have came out. Not very sure. I checked the oil level and it seemed to be okay. It won't leak when i drive around town. Is it possible that oil can come out from that little vent? a few month ago I wire brush the differential and sprayed anti rust paint on it.

It didn't look so bad as to be rusted through(I hope). When I changed the differential oil I added half quart of locus as it said on it that is good for the differential. My guess is that either oil came out from that vent or the axle may be rusted through. God knows what to do if the case is rusted through.

Thanks guys.

That vent is to allow excess dif lubricant to bleed out. You probably overfilled the dif at the last service.

That vent is to allow excess dif lubricant to bleed out. You probably overfilled the dif at the last service.

You made my day :greedy:

The vent is a pressure vent, not necessarily for excess oil. A good thing to do is unscrew the entire thing and soak it in brake cleaner overnight. Let it dry, then blow through it to make sure it's clear. Often, when people's axle seals (at the tires) start to leak, it's because that vent is clogged and won't allow pressure to vent, so it pushes out somewhere else, like the axle seals. If you're pushing gear oil out of it, you overfilled it.

And by pushing gear oil through there, you're attracting dirt and grime, which will clog it. It's not there to correct an overfill problem, it's there to vent pressure. So it's not a solution to overfilling. You should open the fill plug and let the excess fluid come out. When it stops flowing, it's at the correct level.

Thank you very much Montana.l am glad that you mentioned that before I moved on.I shall get on it first thing tomorrow. Take it out and soak it in carb cleaner over night.

I take a look right away. And ask you any question I may have:-)

Great! Yeah, I don't remember the thread size, but I might remember that the cover is bigger than the nut...so you may need to use an open ended wrench to get it. Not sure...you'll figure it out! I don't know a lot, I just know that brake cleaner especially dries without residue, and is the best for cleaning parts. It's what everyone told me to use when I was doing a bunch of stuff to my truck. But if carb cleaner's what you have, I'm sure it's fine.

So...two things. Take out and clean the vent, and take out the differential fill plug and let any excess fluid run out.

Hi,

I cleaned the valve and put it back. strange valve! Couldn't quite figure out how it works.I suppose it is like a pressure cooker valve that works by weight.Haven't checked the fluid level yet. Will check it one more time when I can find a level ground.

Good day.

It's not a valve, just a vent to prevent pressure building up inside the axle housing that is otherwise sealed to keep the oil in. If the vent gets plugged, pressure can build up and oil can get forced out elsewhere. Since the vent is located up high, liquid oil shouldn't get that high. Except maybe if you were extreme off-roading!

It is getting more complicated now.When I unscrewed the vent I heard a little air comment out.I don't know if that was normal.may be the valve was clogged up.is it possible that the lucas that I added done that?

Hi, Here is the up date. I changed the fluid. I surely had over filled it last time that I serviced. When I unscrewed the checking hole oil still came out. Well what can I say. I drained it and put close to 1 and 3/4 quart of 75/90 Valvoline gear oil in I took my time so I won't mess up again. So far my hope is that this happened. Oil came out from the vent and at some point it clogged up. That is why I heard that fiss sound when I unscrewed the vent to clean. Without the help of you guys I was heading for disaster. If I am not already. I am so great full of your helps. Good day.

Hi, Waiter

I haven't looked at it closely but I am sure it is a full floater.There are six lug nuts on the wheel.

Good day.

I once wanted to check the condition of the rear brakes and some one said to even check that you have to change the seal.So I gave up.

It is getting more complicated now.When I unscrewed the vent I heard a little air comment out.I don't know if that was normal.may be the valve was clogged up.is it possible that the lucas that I added done that?

The vent is basically just a little "covered chimney." Lets air out and not supposed to let water in (from the outside). On most US trucks a vent hose is usually attached to the axle housing and the vent itself if up high somewhere - as far from road debris and moisture as possible. My Toyota FF rear has a hose on it but it may of been added buy someone and not OEM.

Yeah, my 83 4x4 does fine with the normal vent. Only if I was doing a lot of river crossings or mudding would I put a hose on it. Can't hurt though!

Having the rear axle slightly overfilled is fine, just not really overfilled. The way I know mine is full is that oil starts pouring out. But with the little hand pump I use, I can't get it too over full.

Sounds like you've got it fixed!

The OEM breather on the Toyota rear axle has a cheap little cap crimped on top (like a chimney cap). It is easily broken off. I got two Toyota trucks this past year and both had the cap missing when I got them. I assume all it takes is some road gravel to hit the cap off. Once missing, all you have to do is drive through a puddle and water gets into the rear axle. Poor design. Not everything Toyota did was great. The breather only sits about 18" off the ground. Very easy to stick a 3/8" ID rubber hose on it and loop it up somewhere away from the ground and out of a "splash" area.

I once wanted to check the condition of the rear brakes and some one said to even check that you have to change the seal.So I gave up.

There are two black plastic plugs about the size of a quarter on the outside edge of the backing plates that are dead even with the brake shoes if you remove them you can see the brake lining and the metal edge of the shoe lot easier then pulling the drum.

Thanks Jdemaris and Maineah and all the helpful commentators in this blog.

I will have to crawl under the truck and check the brakes some times. It doesn't squeak unless I go back ward and use the brakes which may be normal.

Good day gentleman.