2013 Northwest Camping Trip

ted.thurlby

Want to know those who have the Toyota campers if they would like to gather and plan a campout in the Pacific Northwest. I'm sure they are some up here that do camp. Would like a meeting prior and set things up. So if you have a Toyota contact me and let all of us enjoy a trip camping at one time. I have some sites around Mount Rainier. I believe it is free. Contact site or email ted.thurlby@gmail.com Of course anyway is welcome.

If we have some contact with a small gathering I would like a get together after January. Prior to June I would like a get together to work on our rigs. We can put our knowledge together. Of course in June I hope to head north. We do need a Northwest group. Get ahold of me and we will start planning. Ted from Seattle.

Only one so far. I'm sure there are others. Will wait and see. Need to plan a Jan meet and fellowship. Ted from Seattle.

Hi Ted: A couple of years ago, when I had my smaller pop-top, I suggested a get together on the Yahoo Chinook site and had several responses. At that time, I was thinking about camping near Tacoma and coordinating with the opening of the new LeMay: America's Automobile Museum. The museum delayed its opening and one thing led to another and nothing happened. I still think it would be a hoot for a parade of Toyota motorhomes to line up in their parking lot. It could be a good chance for a brief gathering either in winter or early spring--if people are willing to take their vehicles out of storage. Perhaps, a one day meet for late breakfast or lunch and tour the museum (thinking about avoiding the cold and wet of winter camping). The museum is amazing---quite fantastic. I would be willing to talk about this and plan something if there is interest. Getting together around the museum is just a thought. I'd be willing to talk about other possible gatherings, too. There are some low cost campgrounds all along Puget Sound and up toward Mt Rainer. Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there:

Ted, 5T, Stamar, Karin, Sue,

It kind of sounds like we are the local yocals.

I agree with Karin; My Dolphin doesn't even begin to roll out until April or May.

Sue's idea of parading around the LeMay Museum is kind of unique. We could show them old car folks a new idea of a "collector" vehicle.

5Toyota, It sounds like your idea out of Rimrock is real good remote type camping. I just wasn't clear on private lands but, open to the public?

Some of my most favorite camping is along the BNSF train tracks up near Stevens Pass. I guess that my rail - camping is an aquired taste and enjoyment because I grew up in a railroad family. So, I suppose it is not for everyone.

Hope to hear more from you all.

-Riverman77

Oh I'm in portland still but id love to tourist port townshend. From there its a ferry to vancouver island I believe

I wonder if there's any regulars who are closer to portland here.

I'm actually in beaverton so south west of it.

I really want to see seattle on the other hand traffic in the rain sounds like hell so I'm waiting til may to relocate

Iill have my toyhome a bit more tuned up by then too

Olympic park is a highlight around there

Ted

would love to get together we were held at home this year with some family health issues but that has passed we are looking forward to do some traveling in 2013. Have not really met other toyhome owners wave when we pass on hiway but that is not enough we are in eastern wash spring time would be fun

Im not having a hard time with the rain exactly in portland this time of year.

Whats driving me crazy is driving in urban traffic in the rain. I dont know how truck drivers can do it.

When you get established in an area you learn when to go where but when youre new you have to go all around and during the worst hours. driving a rv this big on the crowded freeway or in a mall parking lot is stressful

I know by reputation the traffic is way worse in seattle.

for me being a native of washington between portland and seattle driven both. too me anyway seattle is better . it is squezed between the water and the cascades and long north and south and narrower east to west. never lived in king county but ,LEWIS,SNOWHOMISH,SKAGIT AND WHATCOM county all on the west side. you might find seattle easer. but like you i have only been to portland a few times. KING COUNTY and those others have a great mass transet system

seattle has one of the worst traffic congestion problems in the us.

portland has barely any in comparison.

unfortunately my job I had for 2 months which I suppose fortunataly just ended was on the congested part.

would not argue that just seems too me seattle is more organized to a main north and south flow have seen teriffic traffic their . but take seattle over DENVER COL ANY DAY THAT IS THE WORST AND RUDEST PLACE I HAVE BEEN IN OR DROVE IN> I DO HAVE MORE KNOLeGEOF SEATTLE BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN GOING THERE MY WHOLE LIFE> ONLY BEEN TWO PORTLAND A FEWtimes.

Thank goodness we live on the southern Oregon coast! Traffic on 101 can get moderately bad in the summer, but 7 months out of the year it's pretty mellow. Nothing like the big cities. In addition, although we average 2X as much rain as Seattle we also have way more sunny days. These are long term averages.

Port Orford; 140 rainy days, 197 sunny days, 71 inches of precipitation (averages more sunny days than anyplace else on the Oregon coast).

Seattle; 155 rainy days, 152 sunny days, 36 inches of precipitation

Portland;140 rainy days, 144 sunny days, 42 inches of precipitation

Steve

yes i didnt think about the demoltion of the old elevated 99 down thrugh the harbor. if i ever go to seattle again it will seem different for me i road on it as child and drove on it myself with my kids and was born same year it was. MY wife is from midwest and old highway 66. i am a native of western wash and my road was u s 99.

Well since I posted this site quite a few have responded. I do believe that they are at least 6 of us that can get together this summer for a Northwest Camping excursion. The site I have gone too in the past is Buck cheek on Hwy 410, past Enunclaw about 20 miles. It is a huge area to camp in and it use to cost 0 dallars. They are outhouses to use if necessary. Basically dry camping. Great walking trails alone the white river.

I would like to give everyone a chance to prepare for this. Prior to June I would like a get together at the Brown Bear Rest for noon meeting. in Federal Way, Washington. Will give a month to prepare for everyone's best time period. Would like it prior to Feb, 15th. Everyone reply back with City you will be coming from. This would be in your own vehicles not necessary your Toy. Just want for us to get to know each other so we can discuss issues for the year. Post your city so we can contact. If you would like you can call me and I will put your name and phone on a secured paper. Ted from Seattle

• 2 weeks later...

Ted: I would like to join your noon-time get-together. Please post the date/time and address. I Googled the Brown Bear Rest and could not find it. Sue

• 3 months later...

Say It's getting close to camping season. My rig is about done. A few more things and off I go. For those who replied to this post and if you are still interested let me know. Anytime get together is fine with me. Ted 206-419-7009 Ted from Seattle

Karin,

Thanks for the invite/camping suggestion. but when my tires start rolling, they always head straight for the woods! That's what the RV is for...peace & seclusion.

On your compartment locks (the other topic thread), I have to partially agree with the other posters. If a thief really wants in, he'll pop open any of your doors in only seconds. But, those keyed locks that I suggested, will keep the kids out and young adults who are just beginning their life of crime. You can install all the big ol' padlocks and chains everywhere, but those meth-heads will bring bigger prybars and get right in...remember, they're on drugs! I hope that my keyed locks suggestion is of help for you.

-Riverman77

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on Whidbey Island, and although our rig needs a ton of work on the inside (water damage around the windows), we're ready to camp. Deception Pass park is beautiful, and easy to get to using the Deception Pass bridge. It's also only a ferry ride away from Port Townsend and Vancouver Island, although I wouldn't take the RV on the ferry - too pricey.

the Mossyrock Washington Toy-In is set. I was notified today that there will be three coming from the north end of Seattle. There is two from the south end and that makes 5 so far. I'm sure there are others who will come. It is necessary for those interested to call me and let me know. The more the merrier. The camping place is about 5 miles out of Mossyrock along Winston Creek road. Two miles off Winston Creek road (at the two mile marker) turn right on a gravel road. Go down the shallow hill for 1/4 mile and turn into the Jolly's land. It is nicely mowed and places to park are first come parking. Check on the web for Saturdays event (Mossyrock Blueberry Festival - this is important due to the events happening on Saturday. If you have a problem let me know. It is usually warm there so bring a hat and sunscreen. Other event will be set prior to the event by others. I know I would like a pot luck dinner on Saturday. Possible card playing - holy boards etc. Would also like a discussion and small repair tech time in the afternoon.

Those interested we will be going to a church service (usually my sisters church nearby). Other stuff added for sunday, Rest, cards, and chit chat. Let me know if you are interested for we will be having a great time I'm sure.

My name is Ted the organizer. I can be contacted by email @ ted.thurlby@gmail.com or cell 206-419-7009. I don't have texting so call or email. Lets endeavor to have 10 come out. Get your rigs ready - I've notified plenty of time in advance.

Lets have this be a great Toy - In.