When the snow melts I want to finish scrapping a 1987 1 ton dually. Th 2.4 EFI engine and auto trans are still in it. How do I ID the auto trans? Basically I want to know if has the lock-up converter or does not. I know that trans came both ways. Is there a VIN decoder somewhere that will tell me?

If I remember correctly, the only issue you may have with the A43D is the tail shaft bearing. Check side play, if you catch it before it gets serious its an easy fix, if it its at the point its leaking fluid, you need to replace the entire tail cone assembly. There is a good writeup on this site if your is bad and you need to do a repair. I seem to recall that this problem is rare, and seems to show up on trannys that do not have an aux cooler. (Yours may have a factory aux cooler)

Mine had a very small amount of side play(probably .002 - .005) I could feel it just a little, that was 20,000 miles ago, Maybe I'll climb under there and wiggle it again before our Christmas trip.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto