Hot Rod for water heater

haffcke

my match light gas water heater anode fitting were i would install a 110v heating element is near the top of the heater, right next to the hot water outlet and i would think i would have to find a heat unit that goes down towards the bottom of the tank to be in water, anyone else run across this yet? any suggestions? thanks Phil

i agree gas is more efficient, but when I'm plugged into 110 at a campground and the wind is blowing a cold breeze it sure would be nice not to have to go outside to try to light it then back out after a shower to shut it down, what i was wondering though is will it be at all effective if the heat element is so high (near the top) of the tank. thanks Phil

Derek, i don't think a water heater can be less than completely full due to being under pressure, unless you drain it through the drain petcock, but being that the hot rod would be at same height as hot water outlet I'm just wondering since heat rises will it even heat the water at that level or do they make one that would be bent in a 90 to reach the bottom of tank but thanks for your input. Phil: Karincorbin, if mine needed to be replaced or even given me trouble i would do exactly the same, my other RV, TT, has a multi WH and i love it, actually i keep it on elect. but when need quick heat just hit the button for gas, kicks in and wallah i have hot water in seconds, i don't like leaving on gas all the time though. Phil

Yes they work they have a thermostat and in order to get water from the tap is has to be full the hot supply is at the top. They are power hogs some thing around 1,300 watts. 6 gallons is not much to heat the element should have no problem heating the entire tank. I'm pretty sure the rod is straight if it wasn't when it was threaded in you would have no ideal what way it was pointing. Me I just light the gas and 10 mins later I have hot water the pilot light keeps it piping hot over night I guess I'm just an old hippy in an automatic world.

Ah ha, I see why you feel you must have an electric option...spoiled already by the other motorhome having a fancy water heater. But now you are going to make me spoiled even though I don't have one.... Sheesh tanks a lot...lol

your right I'm spoiled, but i have found that after traveling a long day and finely gotten settled in a CG, with a cold breeze blowing, dark, tired, pilot blowing out before i can get it lit, it sure would be nice to just plug in and get some HW especially if it is also raining. i do see though Maineah has answered my question, so tonight i will order me one. thanks guys. Phil

i agree gas is more efficient, but when I'm plugged into 110 at a campground and the wind is blowing a cold breeze it sure would be nice not to have to go outside to try to light it then back out after a shower to shut it down, what i was wondering though is will it be at all effective if the heat element is so high (near the top) of the tank. thanks Phil

Why don't you just go tankless? There is a company in Jacksonville FL that has tankless setups, and I think they wanted 200-250 for a small RV model. I checked 'em out last year with my old RV and now I'm thinking about doing it with my Gran Ville. Can't really beat the price, as replacing the water heater would cost more than that IIRC.

I can't remember the name of the company but I'm sure I'll find it if I search a little.

Be sure you know what you are getting the cheaper tank less heaters are outside only the built in ones run around $600- 800 and are forced draft.

Hmm, reading the RVnet posting was a revelation. I believe it was the EZ tankless model I inquired about last year, and the folks I talked to told me that it was RV-compatible. I remember reading a forum post somewhere where a few people had used it and liked the product.

A lot of the dissatisfaction may be due to the way the folks on the RVnet forum use it. Sounds to me like these folks are in larger Class C's and Class A's, parked in an RV resort somewhere. Sounds like they want to be able to take a twenty minute continuous shower. They are taking the term "endless hot water" to mean they can just use as much volume as they want anytime they want. It doesn't even work that way even in a real house, unless you have a several tankless heaters throughout the structure. That way you have a tankless dedicated to each bathroom, the kitchen, etc.

I don't know about everyone else but in my RV its water on, get wet, water off, soap up, water on, rinse off. Same goes for washing dishes. I do this no matter if I'm boondocking, or in a campground, resort, state park or what have you. One, there's only so much gray water tank space, and Two, I see no reason to waste propane at 3+ bucks a gallon, especially since I seem to have no more than about a 7-8 gallon LP tank. Right now, I need to use that LP for my furnace. It's a little chilly in Central KY right now.

If I want to loll in the hot water for twenty minutes then I go to the communal showers, or hit the nearest truck stop.

Which reminds me: Without hijacking the thread, has anyone seen any outside shower adaptations for Toyota MHs? I'm going to spending a few months on the beach in South Texas and it would be great to be able to wash beach sand off before tracking it inside.

http://www.gmcmhphot...ter-heater.html Think I would rather fight the weather to light mine than to attempt to fix that! The more modern RV heaters have remote electronic igniters.

Hmm, reading the RVnet posting was a revelation. I believe it was the EZ tankless model I inquired about last year, and the folks I talked to told me that it was RV-compatible. I remember reading a forum post somewhere where a few people had used it and liked the product.

It was perhaps one of the 'Indoor' models?

http://www.eztankless.com/products/tankless-water-heaters/

It was perhaps one of the 'Indoor' models?

http://www.eztankles...-water-heaters/

No, I talked with the distributor on the phone and said that it was an RV application, or could be adapted to an RV app, I can't remember which. I wish I could remember more about that conversation, because it seemed like a great idea at the time.

Try this, cheap too. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/exterior-rv-shower.htm

Which reminds me: Without hijacking the thread, has anyone seen any outside shower adaptations for Toyota MHs? I'm going to spending a few months on the beach in South Texas and it would be great to be able to wash beach sand off before tracking it inside.

Hmmm...I was just looking for place to put it, and while I have a rear bath, mine is on the left (drivers) side of the vehicle. The wardrobe is just forward of it, so its probably the same just on the other side. What I'm thinking is that dead area right beneath the bathroom sink. Nothing there but the toilet paper roll, and I think I can mount it so even that would still be usable. Maybe even mount it vertically, so that it won't stick out from underneath the sink.

post-6508-0-22842600-1352054530_thumb.jppost-6508-0-40400800-1352054694_thumb.jp

"You get to shower without filling up your grey water tank. :)"

This is why I want it. I'm going to boondocking on the beach for a couple months. Only trips into town for tank dumping and replenishing water, groceries, and most importantly, BEER.

Note to self: Must do a study on personal beer consumption so I know how much to buy every two weeks. If I run out of groceries I can always catch a fish. :)

Anyway, the thread is getting off topic, so I'll open up a new one once I start working on it. Thanks

That's me. Bath and shower are combined. Surprisingly there is a lot of room in there, some of it behind the toilet being wasted space. I think I can get it under that sink and run the lines thru the shower tub and floor. Just seal them up real good, build a box for it and seal that up and it's done.

Now that I think about it, maybe the space behind the toilet is where it should go, assuming it will fit. I can probably tie into the toilet intake line and run something to the hot line under the sink. One less hole to seal and maybe I won't even have to protect the whole thing with an enclosure.

Over the course of 3.5 years of ownership I never actually use the hot water furnace at all. Worrying this will use a lot of propane. Do we have a 4 gallon tank system in our MH? Anyone has experience installing the hott rod system? Is it easy to do so?

Over the course of 3.5 years of ownership I never actually use the hot water furnace at all. Worrying this will use a lot of propane. Do we have a 4 gallon tank system in our MH? Anyone has experience installing the hott rod system? Is it easy to do so?

Probably no more than your furnace does. Both cycle on intermittently for a few minutes at a time. The furnace is only heating air, as opposed to water, but the space the water is in is much smaller (tank) than the space the air is in (coach), so it's probably about the same.

I've had my Toy for three weeks now and have used the water heater. I topped off the LP tank and for five days, ran the furnace, the water heater, the fridge and the stove on LP. After that I had them top off the tank again and I found out had gone through 2 1/2 gallons. Using all the appliances for five days cost me $8.50, and that was at an inflated LP price. If I would have gone to Tractor Supply it would have cost me $5 ($1.99/gal.).

One month of LP @ $8.50 every 5 days would be $51, and at $5 is would be $30. Seems pretty cheap to me, especially since it was cold those five days and the furnace was kicking on left and right.

When I topped off the first time, it took 6 1/2 gallons. I'm reasonably sure I have an 8gal. tank, which is probably standard for a Toy. I know that size is standard for most older Class B's, so it makes sense. Yours is probably the same as mine.

some folks just screw a threaded fitting onto the sink or onto the shower hose spigot then run a hose out the bathroom window. You just need a small ball valve shutoff before the outdoor shower head. When done using pull it back in through the window.

Kind of defeats the purpose of being able to shower off the beach sand before I get in the RV if I have to go into the RV to get the shower hose out. Might just as well use the inside shower and then vacuum the sand out of my carpet.

Probably no more than your furnace does. Both cycle on intermittently for a few minutes at a time. The furnace is only heating air, as opposed to water, but the space the water is in is much smaller (tank) than the space the air is in (coach), so it's probably about the same.

I've had my Toy for three weeks now and have used the water heater. I topped off the LP tank and for five days, ran the furnace, the water heater, the fridge and the stove on LP. After that I had them top off the tank again and I found out had gone through 2 1/2 gallons. Using all the appliances for five days cost me $8.50, and that was at an inflated LP price. If I would have gone to Tractor Supply it would have cost me $5 ($1.99/gal.).

One month of LP @ $8.50 every 5 days would be $51, and at $5 is would be $30. Seems pretty cheap to me, especially since it was cold those five days and the furnace was kicking on left and right.

When I topped off the first time, it took 6 1/2 gallons. I'm reasonably sure I have an 8gal. tank, which is probably standard for a Toy. I know that size is standard for most older Class B's, so it makes sense. Yours is probably the same as mine.

Thank you for the information. For heating needs I just use a big buddy heater. I don't usually take showers in the RV, I found that water leaks out from the faucet when I turn on the shower. And of course I worry about propane consumption. I am a Canadian and I am not familiar with propane filling in USA, my idea is that there are lots of "propane exchange program" where you swap an empty tank with a full one. Looks like most gas stations do not fill propane. And while on trip I usually get gas at Safeway where I can do the fill up while my wife does the shopping. I don't see any propane filling service at Safeway.

Thank you for the information. For heating needs I just use a big buddy heater. I don't usually take showers in the RV, I found that water leaks out from the faucet when I turn on the shower. And of course I worry about propane consumption. I am a Canadian and I am not familiar with propane filling in USA, my idea is that there are lots of "propane exchange program" where you swap an empty tank with a full one. Looks like most gas stations do not fill propane. And while on trip I usually get gas at Safeway where I can do the fill up while my wife does the shopping. I don't see any propane filling service at Safeway.

No worries. The prices are local to Central KY where I happen to be at right now. I'm not sure how much of a fluctuation there is across the country.

LP gas is pretty easy to get down here. Pretty much any town over a few thousand people has a place that will fill your internal tanks, as well as exchange your portables. Right now I'm working in a town of about 6000 and I have identified at least four places that sell propane. This doesn't include the supermarkets or hardware stores where you can exchange cyinders. You won't have any problems finding propane, or finding it close to wherever you are at. No need to worry.

Go on line to allstays.com. They list places all over the country. They have a great smartphone app that's worth every penny of the $4.99USD you pay for it.