hi! tail pipe on my dolphin looks really tiny and was wondering if there is any benefit in replacing the original muffler with hi flow muffler and getting rid of tiny tail pipe and having a larger tail pipe bent and installed? my mechanic who worked for Toyota dealership said they used to do it and brought tail pipe out in front of the rear wheels! any increase in power or fuel mileage what do you think? thanks rick

When I order exhaust parts out of the Walker catalog for the Toyota truck, they always send 2" pipes. Some time in the past, a muffler shop had installed 1.75" pipe after the CAT. I've been able to slide the new parts over the old and clamp them. My muffler and tail pipe are now 2" and they look better.

Your mechanic seems to be suggesting that a reduction in back pressure may increase power/mpg. Maybe.

However, having too little back pressure can be as bad as too much. With too little back pressure, some of the incoming fuel/air mixture goes out the open exhaust valve before it closes - MPG/power drops.

One thing to consider is that there is a lot of heat in the exhaust after it passes the catalytic converter. The longer standard pipe gives it a chance to cool somewhat before exiting. The last time I lost my tailpipe, the remainder directed exhaust toward the wheel well. Despite a distance of a couple of feet, the edge of the plastic wheel well melted and dripped away. I'm just glad that the Winnebagos have a metal layer on the bottom of the camper and that nothing decided to combust.

I have a friend with a Nova Star that has the most amazing tail pipe I have ever seen, it is custom made and goes from one side to the other for reasons unknown. Mine had a bad muffler and tail pipe when I bought it and I put the stock exhaust on it from the NAPA parts store. It exits just behind the left rear wheel and it is 2" If you have a full size MH the wheel base will be 137" and the parts stores can match you up with the proper parts. If you increase the exhaust to 4" it really won't make much if any improvements. Increased HP can be gained but the dollars add up far faster then HP.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if it's going to work if I order the Muffler and Pipe as shown on those online part website? I could not find any picture on what the part would look like.

My 1990 Itasca exhaust pipe has lots of holes in it...time to replace and my local Muffler shop does not want to work on a MH since it's too tall to have it on the lift.

Thanks

and brought tail pipe out in front of the rear wheels!

That's the way my 71 Dodge van was made, bad on tires & noisy, and that was an engine that ran and exhausted much cooler that modern stuff. Out the back, below any thing, and pointed slightly down.

Working underneath the motorhome to fix the exhaust is not hard if you have the tools to fall back on, like say you have to cut out a bolt or saw a pipe off.

You might first look underneath and determine how corroded the bolts are that hold your exhaust system together. Or if there are any present at all.

Replacing a muffler or exhaust pipe is not hard if you can break the old one apart at a bolted flange. The new one will bolt right on.

However, if your system has been ad hoc 'd in the past, there might not be any flanges to crack open. You may have to work your way forward to the cat and order the appropriate parts to get there.

Does anyone know if it's going to work if I order the Muffler and Pipe as shown on those online part website? I could not find any picture on what the part would look like.

My 1990 Itasca exhaust pipe has lots of holes in it...time to replace and my local Muffler shop does not want to work on a MH since it's too tall to have it on the lift.

Thanks

Thanks for all the tips! I will jack it up, go under, make sure measurements, loosen up with WD40 and go from there

This ^ it's not so much the rust it's the big dent the clamps put in the pipe. Torch has all ways been my tool of chose.