Winter off-grid living, new post!

Odyssey4x4

Hey everyone,

Just finished a new blog post. It's basically an update on my attempt at surviving the Alaskan winter (already in effect) in my Toy home.

http://timmystoyota.blogspot.com/2012/10/alaskan-winter-is-here-off-grid.html

Enjoy!

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

Fun read as always.

Do you have a semi-permanent place to park or are you roaming around? Having a base camp would seem to be a big help as you could pile firewood and other gear. And will you be storing all your kayaks and bicycles for the winter? Are these rural areas you are staying now that the snow has started to drop? I picture that part of the world shutting down during the winter and transportation outside of the cities being pretty limited even w/ 4wd?

I am using my toyhome as a daily driver

Do you have a way to heat up your engine block/oil etc before starting it? I haven't spent much time in any kind of freezing environment and am somewhat fascinated by the things us moderate climate ppl take for granted!

What did you end up doing w/ your windows? Covering them w/ reflective styrofoam insulation? Thick curtains?

And obviously you can't completely close yourself up 100%... you'd die from affixiation. Most ppl have vents towards the roofs of their dwelling to let hot air out. Would having a vent low to the floor be helpful in this situation? Cold sinks etc.

Too bad there's no way to capture some of that heat/fire from your stove and turn it into some electricity.

.. carry on Tim!

I'm really kind of worried about you. I know your rig has structural issues and even a few inches of snow on the roof can weigh a ton or more. I have seen solid fiberglass scamp trailers with a rounded roof that caved in from the weight of snow. Please be careful and don't let the snow accumulate. No " Into the Wild ' moments here. If things get tough get your behind to town.

Linda S

im in the process of thinking about getting mine ready for the pnw winter.

they sell vent stuffer things at walmart for 10$ apiece but i do believe its really the windows that make it so cold. so ill get some bubble stuff, and then also a cab curtain.

still shopping for the right one.

I was raised in Anchorage.

I also spent 17 years in the bush with no running water or electricity.

I remember it all too well.

Staying up all night at -20F feeding the stove.

During the day, time was spent thawing ice for drinking water and chopping wood.

And then trying to stay dry in the constant rain caused from the condensation of just one's breath in a small shelter.

January in Anchorage in a motorhome.....keep your motor runnin' and have some close friends who will let you crash at their place.

I wouldn't have missed a minute of it......

I hope he keeps posting 'till his batteries freeze.

That is one cool rig, guess it will be even cooler soon.

A suggestion about your plumbing. Disconnect the plumbing to the toilet, otherwise it will figure out a way to freeze use your sink waste water to flush. A cup or two from a small pan should do the trick.

The toilet should be good to go. I've got the water pump hooked directly up to a 1 gallon jug that holds -50F RV antifreeze, or -100F once the weather gets colder. When I "flush" the toilet, the waterpump draws 100% pure antifreeze from the jug, through the plumbing, and directly into the toilet. You need to mix a good bit of "whatever goes down the toilet" with antifreeze anyway, so there isn't too much dilution (over so I've read).

OK, I guess that makes sense. It would kinda suck to have the contents of the black tank turn into an iceberg. But, the cheap SOB in me could not stand the idea of flushing with expensive anti-freeze. I think if i was going to live in an RV for extended periods, I would go with some sort of composting setup.

My wife and I spent a week at our daughters home in Peoa,ut. The temp dropped to 13-20 degrees and up to 28 or so. The gray and black tanks were about 1/2-3/4 full. I didnt think to much about it until we were on our way home, then I did. They were frozen solid, took 4 days and lower elevation and warmer weather to thaw them out. Will not do that again. Darrel

Well, the antifreeze method is working very well so far. I just used the RV sanitation dump yesterday, and nothing was frozen up at all, the tank cleaned right on out. The temperature has been in the single digits (9 degrees yesterday) at night and above the mid-20's throughout the day, for about 1 week now... so if anything was gonna freeze, it already would have. I didn't have to turn on my heat pad or heat tape to release the valve either (I made sure antifreeze was originally flushed through it so nothing would freeze).

I also hate the thought of having to buy lots of this RV antifreeze, but in all reality, I have a 15 gallon blackwater tank. I dump it when it gets to about 12 gallons. A 50% antifreeze dilution works out to be about 6 gallons of antifreeze, which costs about $40 a month (I only have to flush my tank once a month). $40 a month is what you would spend for septic/water bills at your house anyway, so I can justify buying that much antifreeze, it's really pretty reasonable to have a bathroom in your home that you're not scared to use:^)

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com