Winterizing tanks

gr8white

I have asked this question a few times but havent really been able to find the answer. The question is how do I winterize my tanks? I am pretty sure I just put RV anti Freeze in the septic tank but how much of it do I put in? Also, how do I winterize my fresh water tank? Im sure I cant put anti freeze in it but wont it freeze? Also, when preparing my septic, is there anything in particular I need to know or just dump the chemical and a gallon of water and RV Anti Freeze? This is all new to me and a bit overwhelming. Thanks!

Thanks Waiter. I will be using this RV throughout the winter. In fact, I have a trip planned to some very cold places in December including the Colorado Rockies, Canada and NY. Does this mean I just cannot use the water in this in the winter?

Go to your local RV place and buy a heater bypass kit and a antifreeze siphon kit.

It will take less than 2 gallons to winterize a Toy. Keep the left over antifreeze in case you want to use the RV in the winter.

If you drain ALL of your tanks there is nothing left to freeze. As part of the winterize program you will end up with antifreeze in all your tanks (except fresh water) it will pool around the waste valves and protect them.

Don't forget the drains in the sinks and shower.

Thanks Waiter. I will be using this RV throughout the winter. In fact, I have a trip planned to some very cold places in December including the Colorado Rockies, Canada and NY. Does this mean I just cannot use the water in this in the winter?

There will be RV antifreeze in my tanks and I will also be making trips during the winter. My plan is to carry gallon jugs of water for sink use (drain only) and toilet (manually pouring water into the toilet). After the trip I will drain the black/grey tanks and pour a pint of RV antifreeze down the sink drain and toilet. Repeat for future trips.

Note to self. Make sure to put a piece of tape over the pump switch so I don't accidently turn it on. ;-)

BTW, In draining my water heater, the manual says to remove the anode rod that is on the drain valve and store it if not using the tank for long periods. Put a 3/4 drain plug in it's place. Thought it would be worth mentioning here.

Cheers,

I found a 3/4" nylon plug for my w/h, that way I don't have to worry about it corroding stuck

I found a 3/4" nylon plug for my w/h, that way I don't have to worry about it corroding stuck

Right there with you! I got a 3/4 PVC plug at the Depot for 89 cents. ;-)

When we do a winter trip, we don't use the fresh water (leave it winterized).

We do coffee, cooking, cleanup with bottled water.

We use windshield washer for flushing the toilet and dump small amounts in the gray tank as needed, i.e after washing dishes)

While traveling driving down the road, the black and gray won't freeze, they get a little heat from hot air passing under the truck from the radiator and engine.

If you stop for the night, these tanks could freeze, so plan dumps accordingly, or be confident that there is enough antifreeze so they won't freeze.. The use of windshield wash fluid isn't as good as RV antifreeze for winterizing, but is OK to flush, and depending on dilution, will probably not freeze down to 20 deg. Always dump a little antifreeze in the tank after doing a dump (maybe a cup, just to get into the valve mechanism area so freezing won't hurt it.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

What about a engine block heating pad on the bottom of the fresh water tank? I am trying to find a way to make the fresh water tank not freeze because I am planning a big trip with alot of boon docking. I dont want to use bottled water because it is hard to wash dishes that way and I want all the comforts of home. There has to be a way...

On mine, the fresh water tank is inside, so it shouldn't freeze, as long as the inside of the MH stays warm. The problem will be the Gray and Black, they are outside.

Electric heat pads would work to a certain point, you also would need to use heat strips out to your drain valves. If you install these, make sure they are protected from gravel that gets kicked up while driving (This is what destroys the black and gray tank level sensor plates on mine)

Another problem will be supplying power to the heat pads and strips. 120 watts of heat is 1 amp at 120 volts, but 10 amps at 12 volts.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Use paper plates and be sure your pots are teflon coated as are mixing spoons, spatulas and such. Pre wipe the pans out with paper towels. If you keep the dishes to a minum then it won't be much of a chore to wash them with bottled water. Sometimes the "their must be a way" basically amounts to you changing how you do things instead of doing things the way you do them under normal condititions. So what if you have to make some changes and dish washing is little more trouble to get done?

Try calculating it out in terms of cost of tank heaters, water line heaters, installation time, risk of loosing your water system to freezes versus a couple of extra minutes to heat water on the stove in a kettle with a spout and use one dish pan for washing and another for rinsing. Man up to washing a few dishes the old fashioned way and you can keep life simple and your money in your pocket.

I guess washing dishes that way does not bother me all that much. I grew up staying part of the time on my great grandparents farm and my great aunts farm. They did not have running water and had to haul water in barrells. The great grandparents had a wood stove in the kitchen, my great aunt had a propane stove. When I first lived in Alaska I was in a cabin that did not have running water either and had to haul my water and heat it on a wood stove. I am used to camping doing the dishes by heating lake or stream water in a pot on the coleman stove. So having a propane stove right in my rig seems like luxury living even if bottled water. I will toss the dirty dishwater out the door.

I can understand being able to do the dishes with bottles water but its the showers that I am worried about. I like to go jogging in the morning and need a shower afterwards. I just spent 600.00 to buy all the spare parts I need and I will be changing them all out and keeping the old for spares.