The Toyota dealer we took it to did a lot of work, problems with the tire monkeys and the oil they put in it, but the mechanical work was all done by one older mech who really knew these trucks and no leaks of problems. But the dealer said they checked the valve clearence using an " acoustic test method" plus a compression test. all ok. They won't say how this actually was done, so I am asking this knowledgable group is this valid ??/ or BS ??

vanman

That is Toyota's fancy way of saying listen to them. If your compression is good you don't have a tight one drive happy.

That is Toyota's fancy way of saying listen to them. If your compression is good you don't have a tight one drive happy.

I was under the impression that the compression didn't drop until the valve was already damaged. Too late to fix it cheaply. That's why actual measuring of the valves was important. I'm pretty sure the manual says you have to adjust the valves at 60,000, not just listen to it and check compression

Linda S

When a valve clearance (0 or less) is tight it does two things, it opens too soon and stays open slightly yes it will lower compression and at that point it is time to take it apart and adjust the valves intake valves seldom burn because they are cooled by fuel and air. This procedure is not for the faint of heart. The design is such to have both the valve, seat and the shim ware at the same rate it often does not all ways work out that way. A clattering valve opens late not so much of an issue unless you are into racing. The newer 4 liter V6 has no inspection until 120K and it's listen for valve noise and check for rough idle (tight valve).

• 2 months later...

I thought I posted the results here before, but they changed ALL the exhaust shims. He made a copy of the original measurements. They were all at or real close to the minimum. Could be unreasonable, but it seems to run better.

vanman