Air Bags

mickeypl

One of the air bags leaks at very slow rate, about 5 psi on a seven day trip. The leak happens more when the truck is in motion. I try to check the pressure often, however it is not possible to keep them the same at all times. My concern is that when one side is lower the coach does not sit level and might cause some imbalance problems.

To get around this issue, I was thinking to join the valve stem hoses before they come out of the side of the coach, and make one union valve stems. This will allow air to freely circulate from one air bag to the other which would also acts as sway bar!?

What do you guys think about this. I am not an engineer and would like to know if this set up would work and would not interfere with the balance. Has anyone seen anything like it? What would I need to make this work?

If these have the little tiny (1/8 inch) air hose, this would probably work out OK.

If you climb underneath and look at where the air hoses go into the fittings ( on the bags and on the air filler fittings), take these apart, and you may find a small o-ring on the hose. put a tiny bit of Vaseline on your fingers, and rub it on the o-ring and reinstall.

Also if you have a valve stem tool, take the valve stems out, and do the Vaseline on these and reinstall.

Sometimes the o-rings and valve stems will dry out a little and will leak.

Heres how I replaced the air bags on mine:

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4801

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Linking the bags together will cause them to act as an anti anti-roll bar, not good.

A little soapy water in a spray bottle will find the leak. Fix as John suggests

Another thing is you can use different pressure in each side to help with the levelling blocks when you are in a rugged spot. Our left side has a real slow leak I've been unable to find yet, about several pounds a week.

vanman

WME, I came up with the idea of linking the air bags together after I saw "crossfire dual Tire pressure equalization system" and I thought I could use the same principle-with a much more simpler setup-on the air bags. But I was unsure about the physical effect, so I guess WME could have a point that linking the airbags could act as "anti anti roll bar" !

Anyway, I ordered the pressure equalization for the duallies and they should arrive soon.

John, thanks for the advise, I will try to check the valves and oil rings.

If you think about it, as you go around a corner the outside tire is loaded most. If the airbags were hooked together then the inside bag would get high pressure air from the outside bag. This would inflate it more, lifting up the inside corner of the coach. Thus anti anti roll bar.