Battery / electrical

dolphinguy

1979 toyota dolphin battery smells like its over charging low on fluids new alternator new battery, battery isolator bypassed, after two or three days battery dies but if i pull the cable it doesn't die, but still overcharges.

Thanks,

-Larry

Help me out here how does it over charge if the cable is disconnected? How did you by pass the isolator? If the battery is going dead some thing is staying on that shouldn't or the battery is toes up. What is the voltage at the coach battery? What is the voltage at the truck battery? They both are charged by the same alternator. Now if it is plugged in and you have the original charger it will boil the water out of the coach battery they should not be used for long term charging and if that is the case you may have skunked the battery.

I'm thinking maybe a VOLTAGE REGULATOR? They can cause overcharging of the battery due to it not regulating the charge you need off the field relay, and as such, will cause the sulfur like smell due to the boiling of the battery fluids. Overcharging a battery can actually cause the battery to explode and cause a fire and/or horrible injury if you happen to be near it when it goes. A bad voltage regulator can also cause a constant connection to your battery system allowing the battery to drain as well, something to consider. You might want to remove or delete the 8 or 9 multiple exact same postings you have on here. They take up bandwidth and space in the forum. Good luck with your problem

Dolphinguy - Not sure what the problem is, but there is a posting from yesterday with your name. I also deleted 5 postings that were also in your name that were identical.

I noticed in the afternoon that the board was running very, very slowly. When this happens I sometimes see multiple postings from the same person because of a timeout, only they don't know they got timed out, that's usually what causes the duplicates.

HOWEVER - If you didn't make the post yesterday, perhaps this may be related to the problem I seen. I would be curious if this might be an older post of yours that somehow got resurrected. Does the post look familiar to you???

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

not shure about the 1979 but 1978 used a xternal voltage regulater black box mounted on the right fender. if the regulater is bad changing the alternator will not fix it.