Coming home from the Yellowstone the gas won't fill. problem is so bad now its not just slow it's non fill able. I had to crawl under and disconnect vent hose and blow, oddly enough someone had been here before and left a hose union. What happened next made no sense, I blew and gas came from the other side of the union????

not sure if you were blowing into the tank or the filler pipe via the hose, sounds like filler hose is blocked or kinked? the filler hose isn't high tech, just put something in the top and it falls out the bottom. will be interesting to finally hear what has caused the problem.

I was blowing into the vent hose that was connected to the tank. Gas came spraying out of short hose comming from the fill cap. The gas tank on my rig has two hoses comming from tank to fill cap, one big fill hose one vent hose. To me the problem must surely be the fill assembly valve; the metal thing the gas nozzle goes into. Obviously there is no kink or blockage in the hoses because when I blew the pressure went from the vent line to tank back up through fill line into fill cap and out the other side of the vent hose. Again the vent hose has been cut and unioned...

On the gas tank (metal) there is a check valve that may be hung up - looks like a flooting ball in the filler neck (to keep gas from splasing out on bumps, and rollovers) You could gently nudge this with a straitened hanger, if this dosn't work you may need to remove the filler hose to inspect and fix close up.

Wistoy; interesting.. so the check valve is in the tank? this sounds like the issue to me also because I have noticed while filling and this problem occurs (which it does randomly) I will sometimes hers a gurgle plop sound come from the underneath rig tank area and then WHOOSH all the gas drains and fills correctly at speed. Could you explain a little more what I am looking for and if its a replacable part?

is it a valve mounted in the tank itself? is it in the hose?

maybe i am in the dark here the only valve i know of is the flapper valve in the metal filler neck . if it was me i would replace both the large filler hose and the small vent hose. should not be any union on the vent hose. i have replaced all my hose. was one pice from the metal filler neck down too the tank both hoses. if that vent hose is colapsed in side you blew through it shure but does it allow gravety air up while gas is going down the large hose . for that matter one or both hoses can delaminate and fall apart inside the hose and not show on the outside of the hose. MY HOSES WERE IN TERRABLE SHAPE AND THESE GAS TANKS DO HAVE DRAIN PLUGS so you can drain if you have too .

at half a tank of gas i lost no gas only had to lower the tank slity to change the hoses nothing came out but the fumes were very very bad. did you have the cap on when you blew on that vent hose maybe that would allow the gas to flow like it did .

Nope the cap was not on, but as you said the flapper was shut. I'm not sure the hose is collapsed as to prevent flow, but definitely know for sure the "circuit" between filler and vent is working, just not venting. Methinks the problem is the metallic filler neck, shouldn't the vent open to air and not back into the fill line?

The photo should be similar to what you have.

The small vent hose should connect to the small holes. Of course the large hose should connect to the large center.

the flapper is not a good seal, more to keep gas from sloshing out rather than form a liquid tight seal.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-67618200-1346781112_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

my filler hose rotted on my 86 dolphin but could not find a exact replacement, 6 foot stiff hose with a couple of bends to go from filler neck to tank, from the time my unit was new (I'm the org. owner) it took gas very slow, when i replaced it the only thing i could find was a 3 foot filler hose and a 90 elbow both made for gas, then added a 2 inch by 24 inch long piece of electrical conduit (metal) to fill the gap and it worked better than the original, at first until last week when i took a 1400 mile trip, first fill up was fine but after that it would take me up to an hour to put gas in it and sometimes just after a gal. or so it just wouldn't take any more, scary when your several hundred miles from home, when i reached my destination i pulled the hose down and noticed it was very soft so i beleive it was kinking in areas i really couldn't see so i stuffed some stiff screen (rolled up aluminum vent for house gable) into the 3 foot section to keep it from collapsing and put it back but didn't tie it up to the frame quite so tight, first time filling worked good then fought with it all the way home, when i got home i raised the hose up as close to the frame as i could using wire ties took it to the gas station and was able to pump full throttle for the 7 gal. i needed to fill it up, havent had a chance to try it again yet and unless i still don't have a fix you can assume i am a happy camper once again. PS the hose was available at NAPA auto parts only. the screen from Lowe's.

I had the same problem while we were on vacation. I determined that if I "topped off" the tank while filling, gas would get into the vent hose and it would be dificult to fill the next time. I crawled under the RV lifted the vent hose to get the trapped fuel out of the vent hose and then it filled properly. I am glad that I found the cure because it took forever to get any fuel into the tank. I know that I was trying to get every drop of fuel into the tank because it can get to be a long ways between gas stations.

I may have to replace the hoses in the future but it has been working since I stopped putting fuel in when the pump shuts down the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

my filler hose rotted on my 86 dolphin but could not find a exact replacement, 6 foot stiff hose with a couple of bends to go from filler neck to tank, from the time my unit was new (I'm the org. owner) it took gas very slow, when i replaced it the only thing i could find was a 3 foot filler hose and a 90 elbow both made for gas, then added a 2 inch by 24 inch long piece of electrical conduit (metal) to fill the gap and it worked better than the original, at first until last week when i took a 1400 mile trip, first fill up was fine but after that it would take me up to an hour to put gas in it and sometimes just after a gal. or so it just wouldn't take any more, scary when your several hundred miles from home, when i reached my destination i pulled the hose down and noticed it was very soft so i beleive it was kinking in areas i really couldn't see so i stuffed some stiff screen (rolled up aluminum vent for house gable) into the 3 foot section to keep it from collapsing and put it back but didn't tie it up to the frame quite so tight, first time filling worked good then fought with it all the way home, when i got home i raised the hose up as close to the frame as i could using wire ties took it to the gas station and was able to pump full throttle for the 7 gal. i needed to fill it up, havent had a chance to try it again yet and unless i still don't have a fix you can assume i am a happy camper once again. PS the hose was available at NAPA auto parts only. the screen from Lowe's.

[uPDATE]; VENT HOSE, darn vent hose was lower than fill hose in places, fills with gas, RAISE THE VENT HOSE ABOVE FILLER HOSE.