Breaker panel on/off switch?

stacy

Please help two newbies...we have a 86 toyota sunder....our breaker panel has 3 main switches: Main, H2O and AC. When do we turn these off and/or on? For instance do you turn these on when plugged into 120?

Also - there is an off/on switch on the water heater...does this need to be turned on to light it? Have never seen an off/on switch on a water heater yet.

Thanks!!!

The 30 amp is a main the 15 amp is the outlets and the 20 is for the A/C (even if it does not have one) They should all be on when you are plugged in. You may have an add on electric heater element in your water heater hence the switch. It is fitted to where the drain plug was so have a look and see if there are some wires back there. It still should work fine on gas and yes that needs to be lit the switch has nothing to do with the gas unless some one has replaced the entire thing with an electric house hold unit and that sounds possible if the breaker is marked H2O.

Side question: is it worth it to get the electric add on? (I've never seen one and am intrigued) the water heater is a propane killer; it might be nice to have hot water off of shore if it works.

are they custom to Toys or can be gotten at RV supply?

The 'problem' I see is that (I think) the standard drain plug includes a sacrificial anode. Installing a heating element does away with the anode.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Fits-Suburban-Water-Heaters-Electric-Element-110-Volt-NEW-/160866085557?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25745daab5&vxp=mtr

ok, so there's the element; what would it connect two? direct circuit to the breaker? if so what gauge wire>? I like this.

Anodes are over rated; most just mix with bacteria and cause sulfer smells. besides; has anyone honestly even changed one? checkedc one in a 26 year old motorhome? I havent and my water heater isn't rusted out yet.

The run is short enough to be able to get away with #14 and a 15 amp breaker. I could not agree with you more about the anode they go away and the tanks still rot out. The stupid drain allows 2" or so of crud and water to stay in the tank so the muddy mix on the bottom rots the tank.

The drain plug on my Atwood is plastic so it does not contain an anode. Atwood claims that with the aluminum tanks, you don;t need an anode.

The switch leading to the water heater on my water heater controls the automatic direct spark ignition. When you need the water heater on, you just flip the switch and the it automatically ignites with the electric spark. Mine works great.

One of the strange things that I found when I bought my MH is that just inside the entry door (on the panel that hides the water heater) is a light switch for an interior light above the sink. This makes sense because you have light to enter the MH. However, right next to the light fixture is a similar unmarked switch that controls the water heater ignition. I can see someone wanting to turn on the light and actually turning on the water heater. One of the first things I did with the MH was label that switch. I plan on getting a switch cover to put over that switch.

I think i have my next modification project; installing hot water element into my propane hot water heater. should be interesting and nice to have electric hot water and save me some propane.