Weak alternator?

86rader

True enough, I hadn't considered the alt fuels angle. But tell me, is there much in the way of alterations you have to make to the motor so that it can run WVO, or other fuels? My understanding is that some adaptation is necessary, and that depending on the fuel used, you may not be able to convert back to diesel without undoing the alterations.

That brings to mind another question. Are there any Toyhomes out there that have been refitted with a diesel drivetrain? Seems to be a worthy project for someone who has the skills.

$700 seems like a good price for 3Kw.

12 volt on fridge is for engine running only.

Does anyone actually shut off their LP and switch it over to 12v when they go on trips? I sure don't. She doesn't use enough LP to worry about saving a few ounces. Seems like a big hassle for nothing. Matter of fact, If I have her parked in the driveway for long periods, I just leave the fridge running on LP, since I need to keep the beer inside cold! My old unit would run for almost two months on 8gal. of LP, and I figure this one is probably even more efficient.

If I go for long distance trips yes I use 12 volts because I'm too thick to remember that it's on gas when I fill up an open flame around gas may not be a real good ideal. That being said I have left it on gas and the MH is still in one piece. They will run a very long time on propane, months on a 20# tank. I don't even switch over to electric at a camp ground.

The only time I switch to ELEC is when I'm at the campground otherwise she's on LP, even when I gas up. I figure its a good 10-12 feet from the pump and since it's outside, everything is well ventilated. Hell, half the time I forget to shut it of when I fill up on LP, but then again, they shut off the main valve when filling anyway, or at least they are supposed to.

And you're right; they will run forever on very little LP. My old one had an 8gal. tank and it would last two months. And I use my fridge. I'm in and out of it all day long, grabbing munchies, beer, more munchies, more beer, some beer, maybe another beer.... :D

I haven't figured out just how efficient this new one is yet. I'm not even sure how many gallons the LP tank holds. I'm trying to run it down to nothing right now, so I can refill and find out what my capacity is, and if I maybe need to do a little surgery and add on a BBQ tank.

Mine was a saddle tank and it was a 30# I filled it once a year and used it for hot water, heater, stove and fridge. The heater is the propane hog.

Saddle tank == horizontal tank not an aftermarket vertical grill tank. Bad assumption they much better than grill tanks....For SVO or clean WVO you can put a hopper tank to run diesel before and after a service load. On a generator that's overkill for kerosine or clean very viscous (rapeseed) virgin oil etc . Plus they run quieter

Saddle tank == horizontal tank not an aftermarket vertical grill tank. Bad assumption they much better than grill tanks....For SVO or clean WVO you can put a hopper tank to run diesel before and after a service load. On a generator that's overkill for kerosine or clean very viscous (rapeseed) virgin oil etc . Plus they run quieter

Ah-- a tank strapped to the side of a truck frame like they have been for decades? Guess it doesn't much matter what's in them there still saddle tanks. But the answer is yes a horizontal propane tank usually 30 # and yeah it should hold a good 8 gallons of liquid propane.

OK so a saddle tank is akin to those old Fords pickup truck tanks that were right behind the cab. Kinda like leaning up against a bomb when you were driving it. Don't want that.

Maineh, I take it the stock Toy tank is 8gal? I can't see it being any bigger than that, and I'm going to find out just as soon as I run her out of LP.

At least the ones bolted to the frame are. Some have horizontal tanks in compartments but you can't lay a vertical BBQ tank on it's side big no,no. Like these-- http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/rv-propane-tank.htm

I'm kind of considering splitting off a line for a BBQ tank, even though i don't want to carry the extra. I may just do the plumbing work so it wil be there if I ever need it.

Oh, I also remember the side tanks on GM pickups bck in the 70s and 80s. Side gas tanks inside the skin, but outside the frame. WTH were they thinking? When one got broadsided it blew to kingdom come.

Ah-- a tank strapped to the side of a truck frame like they have been for decades? Guess it doesn't much matter what's in them there still saddle tanks. But the answer is yes a horizontal propane tank usually 30 # and yeah it should hold a good 8 gallons of liquid propane.

I was commenting on both a diesel generator question and on the answer to what a saddle tank was, sorry for the confusion.

if the accident reaches where the tank is; you be happy for the bomb at that point, since it went through you to get there. lol

The GM ones were actually on the outside of the frame, between the frame and the fender, IIRC. The gov. finally told them no mas. Every time one ran a red light and got t-boned, the occupants got fried. It was a pretty dumb idea.