Door hits overhead cab when opening, any fixes?

Odyssey4x4

My passenger door hits/makes contact with the overhead cab when it opens. Is there any fix to this besides taking apart the overhead cab area and building it higher? Maybe remounting door hinges? Help if you know & thanks guys,

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

Tim,

Your door makes contact with the overhead because the overhead is sagging downward due to soft or rotten wood in the cabover area. About the only fix I can think of is to take the overhead area apart and replace the rotted and soft wood with new stuff. Its kind of a daunting job but the carpentry part is pretty straight forward. When I did mine, I used lots of two-part epoxy for glueing new wood in and screws whereever I could to pull things together. All the new wood was coated with epoxy resin before it was installed. Even with all the work I did, some water will eventually get in through pin holes in the butyl tape or the goo I used to cover the butyl tape. The coating of epoxy resin will help keep the wood dry and I also used rigid foam for insulation up there instead of the original fiberglass batting.

Good luck...

John

My passenger door hits/makes contact with the overhead cab when it opens. Is there any fix to this besides taking apart the overhead cab area and building it higher? Maybe remounting door hinges? Help if you know & thanks guys,

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

You just rebuilt your overhead cab area because of water damage. I'm afraid you might have to do it again but this time support the overhead with braces on the outside so you know it is level inside and out. Sounds like it sank from the damage and it didn't get lifted back into place with the work you did. So sorry about all the trouble your having with your rig.

LS

Man, I think I'll just deal with the passenger door barely touching (in one small spot) for a while, I hate to rip all that apart again after I just repaired the leak and wall separation. BUT, thanks for the advice guys. I had a feeling that the only way to fix the "sag" was to put new wood on the floor over the overcab bed area. A few questions though:

1) How do you get that huge sheet of plywood into the motorhome? (I had trouble getting a much smaller plywood sheet in that supports the mattress. I don't think I could actually fit a full sheet in there wide enough to reach the outside walls of the camper).

2) How is that plywood attached to the "top" of the cab? I'm assuming it must be bolted somewhere, or else the camper would just slide around all over the cab.

Thanks guys,

Timmy