When I picked up my 22r 4spd from 6 months of storage, it ran like a champ. No problems. Took it home. It sat for 3 weeks max. Got it started ok, but after the first 30 seconds or so of idling, it wants to die. Black smoke from the tailpipe. Spits n sputters... I have to give it some gas. Seems to be ok going down the road. Just the idle. I'm going camping next week, with my 4 yr old grandson, so I kinda hope that I can find a solution to this problem. Thanx for your help. B)

Tudy in MN

when ever you store your moterhome be shure you put fuel stablizer in the tank. the gas we get today is junk . i had a car parked for a year and a half had to replace the gas tank as it was all eaten up inside. you might put CHEVERN FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER IN THE TANK. black smoke maybe too rich wake shure the choke flap in the carb is opening after it warms up

I, normally, do put Seafoam into the tank before storage. It runs fine down the highway, just shakes spits n sputters, while idling. Do these have a double barrel carb? Looks like it. One barrel butterfly was open 1/4 inch and the other was open full. I'm no mechanic, as you can see. I don't know what to look for. Sorry.... :(

Hey, don't give up on me, though. I can follow directions, if you let me know what to check. I can do it. I'm a wee bit mechanicaly inclined. I replaced a fuel line for the carb, after I bought it. Should I try carb cleaner or setting idle screw? Where ever that is.... Thanx, you guys! :)

they are two barrel the choke is on the primary side carb cleaner would be ok i would think. at full warm up that should be full o pen

The carb has a choke pull off what you need to do is take the cover off the top of the carb (cold engine) depress the gas pedal once look at the choke blade (it's right in the top) to be sure it closed all the way. If it is then start the engine the choke pull off should open the choke plate about 1/4" if it does not it will chug like crazy until the choke warms up and opens. It is a little vacuum controlled device it could be as simple as a broken vacuum line or a bad pull off.

• 2 weeks later...

Must have just been some bad gas. I filled up, somewhere else, before my camping trip and she started out kinda balky, but smoothed out, as we headed out. It's the only thing, that I can figure.... Runs like a champ, now! B)

i think it's been mentioned here, using a injector/carb cleaner in the gas once in awhile. i use the lucas brand in all my vehicles a couple of times a year. been told by mechanics that it's a good product and worth doing.

It has been stated here about the choke, and in addition, check that you are getting voltage to the electronic control of your choke as well. I would also check the idle dashpot on the carb that has a vacuum hose to it to insure its diaphragm has not worn out or that the vacuum line has not cracked or come off. Inspect your oxygen sensors and your Catalytic Converter to make sure it is not becoming plugged. Back pressure is important to these motors, so if you have any holes in your mufflers or exhaust pipes that can cause problems. Check your PVC valve and seal grommet around it to make sure they are sound, and all vacuum lines to the carb, as any one of them being disconnected or cracked will cause rough or instable idle. Just some ideas and good luck!

Tack sa mycket, you guys! I really appreciate the knowledge of these systems. I really do love my Toyhome! So does my 4 yr old grandson, Oz. I found out that he was born to be a camper. His first time, without his parents and he wasn't homesick at all. We had a great time. Even cooked in one of those cast iron dutch ovens, in the wood coals. Awesome! B)