Just a quick poll of opinions.

I have a 4 cylinder 89 Dolphin (88 Toyota) - 35,000 miles on it - that typically runs with the temperature gauge below 1/2 (maybe about 1/3).

We have started a trip from Palm Springs, CA on the way to Las Vegas and beyond.

Both days on the trip the temperatures have been between 102- 105 degrees.

On the hills and grades my temperature gauge goes up to 3/4 of the way up the white section.

My thought is that I don't have to worry about it if the temperature stays in the white.

I don't lose any coolant and the truck runs fine.

The temperature cools right back down on the downhills, on the straights it cools down, but takes a while.

I also never here the fan kick in - people talk about it sounding like an airplane. But at 45-60 MPH I don't know what effect the fan would have anyway.

I also had the original radiator repaired with a radiator shop welding a small pin hole. In discussion with the radiator shop, we felt that the patched original radiator would be better than a replacement.

Should I worry about this or not? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Sounds like mine.. I just came back from Wash DC. 90 deg outside, it would go up to about 2/3 on the uphill, then come back down to about 1/2 on the downhill.

I do hear the radiator fan cutting in and out, not loud, but defiantly noticeable

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The previous owner of my rig installed a larger 3 row radiator vs the stock 2 row. INever once saw it ever hit above half! And I've had her up that hill on I-10 heading east out of the Coachella Valley.

the radiator in my stock 6000 lb toyota motorhome

is much smaller than the radiator in my 2200 lb mazda miata.

If that says anything. Im sure it can use a bigger radiator.