Gas Leak !!

sanddigger

Hi, I have a Gas Leak in my 1982 Dolphin motorhome , One. the tank is new ,two. all the lines are New Rec is New.The gas is in the back by the stove. when the stove is off the there is no leak only when the tank is open it leak but were ?

if when the tank is opened and all the burners and oven are off there is no leak then it has to be the stove or oven. sounds like when you turn on a burner it is allowing gas to leak out of one of the other burners or oven. if the leak was in one of the lines in the couch it wouldn't matter if the stove or oven was on, it would leak all the time. one thing for sure, gotta find the leak and fix it.

I assume your talking about Propane???? and not gasoline?????

1st - What tank was replaced, is it the correct tank. ( I'm concerned about you using a BBQ tank laying on its side. this is a very big NO-NO)

2nd - You indicated that all the lines are new, Who did the work, did they use the proper connections (i.e. do not use compression fittings, use flare fittings) did they perform a leak check with a LP leak check solution. I mix dish soap with water, then use a small paint brush to brush it on the joints and look for bubbles.

3rd - Get your good nose and see if you can pinpoint it, i.e. I think the oven has a pilot light, is it leaking, ALSO - water heater has a pilot light, is it leaking. (Pilot lights should have safety valve that turns off the gas if the pilot light goes out.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

If you know the area of the stove where you smell the gas, try and use a squirt bottle that contains water and just a small amount of dish soap. Squirt the liquid around the area of you smell gas, and it will bubble up where the leak is due to the pressure activating the soapy mixture blowing bubbles. An easy way to locate leaks. When you replaced the lines, did you use teflon tape on the threads before connecting them? If not, you might want to go back and do so, as it creates a better seal. Just a couple ideas, Good luck and PEACE!

I agree Derek. Always, when using ANY type of product for your repairs, insure the product is the proper kind for the purpose you are using it for. There are many kinds of tape out there for different purposes, so use the proper one properly, and only for the use it was intended. Peace!

No Teflon on gas not allowed Gasola is pretty good stuff but there are other types of gas pipe dope.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO I DID KNOW ABOUT THE TAPE YOU WILL LIKE THIS ONE bought my dolphionlast fall guy says i just put on a new 2 stage regulator .I FIND A REGULATOR APPROVED FOR PULL TRAILERS ONLY. NOT SIDE vent for moter home tank. hooked to a BBQ tank on side WHITE TAPE ON ALL FITTINGS WHITE TAPE ON THE FLARE FITTING TO THE HOSE> THAT WAS the THING that made really look at the reg WHAT KIND OF A person puts tape on a flare fitting told me the guy did not know what he was doing. I HAVE REMOVED ALL OF IT TANK TOO.