How to install a captain's chair in '86 Dolphin?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right area, but couldn't find anywhere else that would fit.

We're thinking about removing the front facing dinette chair and replacing it with a captain's chair.. we have our reasons, but my reasons would lead to a whole different discussion so I'll leave it out. :)

Does anyone have any information on how we would go about installing it?

Does the captains chair get bolted to the frame through the plywood subfloor?

Thanks for any information.

oh definitely take pics and show us.

My motorhome is a dolphin 500 and it does not include a chair. Right now I have my folding directors chair semi permanenltly facing forward next to my dinette which is semi permanently a bed.

probably in the spot you are considering and Im happy with that. If I had a captains chair I would have to climb over it every day.

Thanks, I'm actually thinking about taking the front facing dinette bench out and putting the captain's chair where that was..

Anyone have information on how to securely attach that to the coach?

Thanks.

The Captains Barrel chairs that many Sunraders had were Lag bolted into the floor plywood; just before the rear foot bolt and the floor the seatbelt mount was inserted and run through.

I unbolted mine before I replaced the barrel with the Fishing seat onto the same pedestal. I kept the seat belts just in case but prefer the seats to be mobile and put felt under the footings.

Not in my Rig;

I Put the 2003 Gen 1 King Ranch seats in; they offer ample protection from all flying debris with their oversize headrests (over 14 inches wide) :closedeyes: which also help give the little ones an extra step into the attic bed. I keep the former barrel now folding bass seats folded when not in use and the worst they will do is slide up to the seat and stop in a hard breaking situation (like the deer I almost smeared over memorial day weekend).

Showson 1,

If the chair has a nice strong base, why can't you just through-bolt it to the floor, right through the carpet and everything? Be sure and use extra large washers or even an 1/8" thick aluminum plate on the underside of the floor if you can fit in amongst all the other stuff under the truck. If you get lucky, you might even be able to bolt it to the frame if that's where your holes come through.

I'd use stainless steel carriage bolts, nuts, washers and lock washers. Or "nylock" nuts, whatever...

John

• 2 months later...

I have a pair of the barrel chairs in my Odyysey. I actually want to do the opposite. Replace them with a dinette or couch. I would like to do this because they are directly across from the couch which folds down into a full size (well, almost) bed. My plan is to have whatever I put there fold down as well, making a single king size bed.

If you are within a reasonable distance, maybe we can make a trade. I am in Ellington Connecticut..

that would be great too.

I have the same set up. the bucket chairs are not actually good looking nor would i sit in them myself. I sit in my folding directors lawn chair

but I took 4 passengers on a long trip and having those chairs with seat belts really came in handy.

Plus when people were asking about buying mine it seemed to be a reasonably popular item. It seems having real chairs is the law some places for like a family trip

in fact it says right on my couch that youre not supposed to sit in it when its in motion.

other than that theyre a complete waste of valuable space. could be a cabinet or another folding couch for a huge bed or a bed and a couch thatd be nice

i didnt ever use the table when i had a dolphin 500 with the dinette but having a king size bed is nice.

The seat belts in my sunrader are bolt through the floor type. Monterrey Leisure Corp simply built a couch frame that has a slide out made of balsa sheet with some legsand ran the seatbelts through the seat crease wood panel. also makes nice storage underneath. I am building one on the opposite side myself to go for full King effect.

The seat belts that were formerly in my barrel chairs are identical to the ones sprouting out of the couch. Methinks they are common and could be gotten on ebay. I have even seen people make belts out of them.