Any suggestions on a high R value insulation that is compact in thickness?

I am tearing into the interior and wanted to use the highest R value possible to achieve a 4 season type of set up (entirely gutting the Sunrader) I searched but nothing came up concerning high R value insulation.

any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with the internal construction of the Sunrader.

The stick houses like my Dolphin, there is a piece of 3/4 Styrofoam in the walls and ceiling.

The biggest heat loose in mine, (and I'll bet yours) is the windows.

I want to insulate during those very cold or very hot outside temperatures,

I bought a roll of the bubblewrap insulating stuff (looks like tiny bubble wrap that is silver coated on both sides). I made covers for all my windows.

The front and rear windows do not open, so I cut the insulation so it rests in the trough that makes up the window frame. there is no need to secure it, as it pops into the trough.

On the two large side windows, I made these a two piece, theses slide in behind the sheer curtain. On the smaller side windows, I put a small square of valcro tape in the corners, just to hold the covers in place.

I also made covers that go up inside the ceiling vents, these are also valcro taped in the corners, The ceiling ones also provide a "light block" for night time.

I also made two covers for the trucks side doors (they cover the windows) and I use a folding one for the windshield.

I use the ceiling vent covers all the time, especially at night.

I just recently used the covers on one side (the side facing the sun) when we went camping. Outside temperature was 90 (very high humidity) and our 5,000 BTU A/C unit was able to cool down the inside.

These are nice for blocking out the sun, I'll se how they work for the cold next winter.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks for the link WME- looks like what I was looking for.

Waiter, similar stuff in the link WME posted, it looks like something I can work with.

I am cutting a second pane of lexan to put on the windows, with the walls being out an additional 3/4 of an inch over factory I will have a window similar to a double pane style it will have 2 alignment pins and be held in place with those crazy strong rare earth magnets with about 1.5 inches of air in between, and then the insulated cloth curtains over that.

I am making a similar type of double pane for my front wrap around windows- I haven't brainstormed on how to attach those yet, plus an insulated curtain as well.

• 2 months later...

If it were me, I'd contact a local spray foam insulation company. Closed cell insulation has amazing R values and also adds strength. I had a spray foam company renting from me for awhile and my whole 5k sq/ft shop with 14' ceilings is foamed. Can't beat it. Plus, in the overall scheme of things, it's not that expensive. I'd put "Closed Cell" foam in mine if I were tearing it down. Deadens the sound as well.

• 11 months later...