Wall Carpet??

wistoy

I have removed and replace all the flooring, including the cab area, and would like to replace the carpet that is on the wall between the cab and camper, as well as around the opening of the overhead bunk. Has anyone removed the capet and know what is behind?

I have even contemplated overlaying the existing area with a low knap comercial carpet, and stapling it on (comercial air op stapler) but I am not sure what is behind the carpet, and I would not like to staple thru the outer fiberglass.:headbonk:

If this is a Sunrader your talking about behind the carpet is just the fiberglass shell and that carpet is all stapled on. Just buy matching staples and your good. Yes commercial air stapler is needed to throw the right kind of narrow but long staples. One of the women on the toyota camper site redid her 4x4 Sunrader and it looks fantastic. There are pics and her name is Roxanne. Here's link if your a member there

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-campers/photos/album/1105507160/pic/list

LS

I have removed and replace all the flooring, including the cab area, and would like to replace the carpet that is on the wall between the cab and camper, as well as around the opening of the overhead bunk. Has anyone removed the capet and know what is behind?

I have even contemplated overlaying the existing area with a low knap comercial carpet, and stapling it on (comercial air op stapler) but I am not sure what is behind the carpet, and I would not like to staple thru the outer fiberglass.:headbonk:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the cab-coach interface in the Sunrader there is fiberglass. There are a number of wood blocks where they screwed and stapled the carpet into place.

I worked with a local automotive upholstery shop who did my seats and cushions too. The owner sold me a roll of highly flexible automotive carpet -- it has no backer, so it will wrap and stretch around just about anything and stay snug. I used contact adhesive (solvent based, because the water based stuff will not work). It is actually super easy to work with and gives a great result. I put some pictures and the way I went about it on my blog... http://sunrader.blogspot.com/2010/03/carpet-time.html

I did the carpet in mine found some stuff I liked I put down the tack strips and a carpet installer did the whole thing for $75. Fantastic job.

I have completed my recarpet/ flooring -- found it to be realy simple, I removed the seats, then the carpet, and used the old carpet as patern to cut the new carpet (industrial jute backed) the original carpet in the cab was held in place with self tapping sheet metal screws, I srewed the new carpet down, and stapled were the carpet meet the house floor. (replaced with a wood grain vynil 3" x 30") The whole job was about 8 hrs.

The part that worred me was the carpet on the walls, well after Linda S's post I removed the carpet from these areas and again used them as a patern and stapled the new on, Also replace my cab headliner.

I is amazing how simple our homes are put together, - So just dig in!

I was also suprised by the part wall between the cab and home is only 1/4 inch ply. with an air gap of 2 to 3 inches between, open at the bottom, and only covering the gap with carpet.

I did not realize how shop wore my original carpet was, glad I replaced,------- but to someone who didn't see the two side by side, you might not know I did anything :detective2:

Thanks for the help with sugestions. It let me know it wouldn't "explode or disinigrate if I touched it :first:

Dale 89 SeaBreeze