Transmission Cooler

mickeypl

I am thinking of adding a transmission cooler and gauge to my 18 footer 1987 sunrader. It has the stuck cooler which I would like to keep. Anyone has done this? I would like to know the specifics and maybe some pics!

I was thinking of adding another cooler on the right fornt side to A/C cooler, but this might block the air flow to A/C cooler as well as engine radiator! I also thought about adding a fan and a thermostat to the original cooler and forget the new cooler. Or maybe just add a gauge and see what happens, its a 18 foot model so its not very heavy, although I do plan on going on trips in summer. What do you guys think?

I added a cooler, it fits between the radiator and the A/C condenser.

The unit I used was way overkill. If I were doing it again, I'd use the next size smaller. I think the big unit impedes some airflow through the radiator.

I had one instance of overheating, I was sitting in 6 lanes of stopped traffic on I-80 outside of Chicago , 95 degrees outside, and the temp needle was in the red. I turned off the A/C and revved the engine to get it back down. Could the additional cooler be decreasing the capacity of the radiator, probably so, because of the blocked airflow and the preheated air before it gets to the radiator.

See this post, scroll down near the bottom to see the cooler I used.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3451

JOhn Mc

If you have the extra cooler and an 18 foot you'll probably be fine a gauge is a nice touch and it would tell you if you need an extra cooler or not most of the transmission heat comes from converter slip, hill climbing, too high a gear, trying to go 70 against a head wind and stuff like that. Your 18' also is a good bit lighter that helps. People with 21' loaded MH's should replace the little factory one with a bigger cooler just to be on the safe side it's a cheap investment.

Maineah;

My Toyhouse came standard with an aux cooler. I added my cooler in line with it, so I have three coolers, The liquid to liquid (Radiator), the factory installed aux cooler, and then the cooler I installed.

I agree, if you add a cooler, there isn't a need for temperature gauge.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

So I ordered the B&M kit that I mentioned earlier, What a hassle!!! I deiced to put it on the return line on the transmission. After cutting the brass line, I found out that none of the two compression fittings provided will go over the line (I guess the fittings are made for american cars). My next option was try another T-fitting. I could not find flared fittings, after making several stops at different shops. So I was forced to use regular pipe fittings and use a fuel graded rubber hose (I was told its high temp resistant! I don't know if its compatible with ATF or not) to clamp o the fitting, and form the hose to transmission line (clamped on two points separated by half an inch) and hope it wont leak. I guess I will find out soon.

BTW, anyone knows the oil pressure in the cooling lines? I am wondering if my set can tolerate it if its high!

Edited by mickeypl

Oil pressure should be almost zero. When it exits out of the cooler it dumps into the tranny oilpan.

Most people just take the rubber hose off the existing cooler and splice into that with new rubber hose.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John,

I am was a little unsure about this because the position of the line coming from the cooler was lower compared to the other line on the transmission. I thought it would make more sense if the return line emptied higher on transmission!

Oil pressure should be almost zero. When it exits out of the cooler it dumps into the tranny oilpan.

Most people just take the rubber hose off the existing cooler and splice into that with new rubber hose.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Edited by mickeypl

It would be wise to use real trans cooler hose,made for the application! Should be on hand at any of the big name auto parts stores and not expensive.Trans oil gets way hotter than fuel ever does. Don