The G4 base is the way to go I have bought them and custom made flush mount fixtures often removed the pins and wired directly to the board. The last set were 15 chip diodes @ 1.8 watt they are equally as bright as a 10 watt halogen. One 1156 bulb draws about 25 watts just one of the blasted things and they get hot!

I posted pics of the 800 lumen 20 SMD LED 3m sticker backed panels I just put in from dealextreme. They are so bright they will burn your retinas out. once the cover is on they are great. 1.28 draw. not bad at all for 2 bucks a piece. Anyone ever put one outside for a porch light?

800 luman is about equal to a 60w 120v lamp. 400 luman is about 40w.

800 luman is about equal to a 60w 120v lamp. 400 luman is about 40w.

Yep; they look nice :), just dont look into them. The SMD is so bright it will make you see spots like that Led Zeplin concert.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep; they look nice :), just dont look into them. The SMD is so bright it will make you see spots like that Led Zeplin concert.

Totem, I don't think you can blame the lights for making us see spots at the Led Zepplin concert. I think it mighta been that wackyweed everyone was smoking.

You are lucky to even get the LED's from dealextreme they have a very poor reputation. At 1.28 watt draw there is not a shot of 800 luman's but that's dealextreme for you more like 120-140. The 1156 standard bulbs are about 400 lumans @ 24 watts. LED's are the way to go you do gain some light over a normal bulb with less lumans because they are more directional unlike a bulb that throws light every were and they are at about 10X less power load. Mulyuk mentioned color the higher the color temp (degrees Kelvin) the bluer the light 6500-7000K is about the color temp of bright sun light the more pleasing interior light is more like 3500K, cool white vers .warm white. The cool white does make more light but I don't like it either.

You are lucky to even get the LED's from dealextreme they have a very poor reputation. At 1.28 watt draw there is not a shot of 800 luman's but that's dealextreme for you more like 120-140. The 1156 standard bulbs are about 400 lumans @ 24 watts. LED's are the way to go you do gain some light over a normal bulb with less lumans because they are more directional unlike a bulb that throws light every were and they are at about 10X less power load. Mulyuk mentioned color the higher the color temp (degrees Kelvin) the bluer the light 6500-7000K is about the color temp of bright sun light the more pleasing interior light is more like 3500K, cool white vers .warm white. The cool white does make more light but I don't like it either.

bleh, they showed up and do what I need em to do and do it for less than the cost of thier 1156 standard counterparts, Say what you want Maineah, I'll wager they are brighter than the standard 1156 and far more than 120. Bring a meter to the toy in and we will settle this like men, my money is on >300 Lumen per chip...

I'm going for pure functionality in my rig; If I want pretty warm and fuzzy lighting I will go stay at Holiday Inn; I'm looking to keep the blower running and have enough light to clean my gun for the next days hunt and nothing looks quite like the warm and fuzzy glow of several .308 rounds with an aura of cat vomit.

Cree, LED's the most efficient LED's made (and a US made product) just broke there own world record of 231 lumans per watt. So at 800 lumans that's close to 3.5 watts.They are heat sink cooled LED's and not made of Chinezeum. This is enough of an issue that the DOE is looking into claims of lumans per watt. I don't dispute the fact that there is plenty of light per LED what I do dispute is the exaggerated claims that off shore companies make to sell a product their fuzzy math leaves a lot to be desired. Every light in my camper and MH are LED's the camper with all the lights on drew about 320 watts with the LED's less then 20 watts or 1.6 amps apposed to all most 26 amps. I camp to relax so my lighting is a warm and fuzzy 3500K light it's enough light for any thing other then heart surgery they are 180 luman 15 chip LED's .

Cree, LED's the most efficient LED's made (and a US made product) just broke there own world record of 231 lumans per watt. So at 800 lumans that's close to 3.5 watts.They are heat sink cooled LED's and not made of Chinezeum. This is enough of an issue that the DOE is looking into claims of lumans per watt. I don't dispute the fact that there is plenty of light per LED what I do dispute is the exaggerated claims that off shore companies make to sell a product their fuzzy math leaves a lot to be desired. Every light in my camper and MH are LED's the camper with all the lights on drew about 320 watts with the LED's less then 20 watts or 1.6 amps apposed to all most 26 amps. I camp to relax so my lighting is a warm and fuzzy 3500K light it's enough light for any thing other then heart surgery they are 180 luman 15 chip LED's .

Wow man, don't tell the deal extreme Cree makers in China; theirs have lumens, not lumans. The Chinese and thier chineseum also also sell 800 lumen 10w 12 volt panels all day long.

I My rig has 6 10 watt panels installed and using only 67 watts with them all on I can read cook pretty much do whatever. I don't doubt for a minute that the chineseum is doing its thing and that it is in fact 800 "lumens".

The only thing that was fuzzy in the math was the fact I observed 12.8 watts instead of 10, but hey like I said for 2 bucks I'm there all day long. $12 Bucks, 6 panels and plenty of light.

They were slow to ship; but that's OK as some are slow to believe these days also.rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the correct spelling I'm a left handed dyslexic. 800 lumens @ 10 watts I'll buy but not 800 lumens @ 1.28 watts here is a little bit about Cree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cree_Inc. I'm glad dealextreme worked out for you but their ratings suck.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a bunch of LED bulbs which fit directly into the existing 12V sockets throughtout my rig. The bulbs were about $2 each and work great. Wayne

problem with those; as you will soon see.... is that they burn out; the diodes etc on their boards fail and they flicker and die. Those are meant for turn signals (pulse) not constant on. If they are the SMD ones you will be ok, but if they are the old school LEDs watch how fast they over heat and fry their boards...