89-95 Toyota stereo upgrade on the cheap side

Bryan B

okay this isnt of my own doing but it has been done numerous times to 4Runners and other Toyota trucks on other forums I belong to but I havent seen it anywhere on this forum for anyone.

the Scion (and later model toyotas) stereo is a plug and play upgrade, even the nav. unit in later model Toyots camrys etc will work. they are all double DIN size and fit with a little filing or dremel work.

the scion 1807, 1808, 1809 are sat. ready and all sorts of new technology I wont list (if interested look the model numbers up)

being a "factory" head unit most places sell them for nothing at all (all day long on car part.com for under 100) and an added bonus is no one hardly ever steals factory style headunits anymore.

can someone post up images of the1807-1808-1809, my computer wont let me save pics right now for some odd reason.

these are great upgrades on the cheap, many functions and sound parameters- when scrolling through the XB, TC and Xa- shosse XB for best sound depth in your cabs.

Sat. ready and Ipod plug in capable plus features I havent listed for most all the models.

some of you will need to unplug your factory amp (behind passenger side glove box) if your vehicle has one, most bare bones trucks didnt, its the 4runners I have found the amps in.

I will post up pics of one in my 92 4Runner dash (same exact dash as your 89-95 trucks) I used an 1807

got a 89 that needs a new radio, just may go for this, thanks for the info.

I am not a "Audiophile" and I dont see spending hundreds on a car stereo, I do like music however, with that said this is great upgrade for cheap with all the gizmos/ add ons of high dollar stereo that also just plugs right in to your factory harness.

the sound is very very good too, they have many internal functions- just search T1807,1808,1809 and programming or functions.

Cool idea! I need to install radio/cd/?. So should i look for only double din as its an easier install.

Thanks

I do believe the 84-88 dash can accept a double DIN unit, just not sure on your wiring- thats a snap to do (stereos are crazy easy) if you get a stereo and need the pigtail that plugs into it with the wires to wire it let me know, I can get a set.

I'll be checking into getting one of these for my 84 Dolphin. Thanks for the info. :)

i've been looking around on line on how to r and r the radio on a 1989 toyota. what i found was that the entire lower dash needs to be removed including the heater/air controls in order to get to the radio. is this true or is there an easier way? every time i have ever removed dash parts all the clips and keepers break :o(.

fortunately toyota did a good job designing how the lower dash is fastened. the directions looked an little difficult but it really wasn't. short of using a hammer breaking anything shouldn't be a problem. it didn't lake very long to remove everything and the radio. my problem is the original had bee replaced so my wire harness is all messed up and trying to find a solution hasn't been easy. on the back of the t1807 are four places for connectors. from what i've found the original toyota set up only had two. which two will i be using is the question. one pair has a ten and six connector, the other pair seems to be a 20 and 16, the wires are so small i can't count them :o). I'll probably end up ordering a set of the original toyota connectors and hope that answers the question. it sounded like here the original plugs worked by just plugging in. if anyone knows please share the info.

thanks,

randy

heads up. i have a 1989 and the scion 1807 radio will not fit without cutting away some of the dash around the radio space. it also hits up against the cable coming in for the heater and air conditioner and not sure if even after cutting some dash away it would work. it does have the toyota connector but beyond that it isn't a good fit for the 1989 i have. fortunately i will be able to return it.

your 89 is an 88 model year then correct?

in 89-95 model years it is a direct fit, a little filing of the trim that fits around the stereo is about all thats needed in those model years. they came with a double DIN stereo as well so its a direct fit- using either the scion brackets or your trucks bolted to the stereo(I forget)

sell it to someone on here, I am sure if you didnt pay a crazy amount for it it will sell.

it's a 1990, 89 chasis, v6. the unit i bought was off ebay without brackets and the stereo coming out wasn't factory so didn't have original brackets. the harness had been changed also so it wouldn't plug in either. beside having to enlarging the original opening the harness coming in for the heat and air is in the way and would be pressed hard against the unit. if the only thing i had to do was enlarge the opening i may have moved forward. i ended up ordering one specifically for the truck with a new harness. i haven't received the RA from the company yet so may need to sell it, it's used and i paid $41.25 including frt. if i had the original bracket and harness i may have tackled enlarging the opening. who knows, once i get the new one i may go backwards and do it anyway. should have the new one in a day or two.

if things don't happen on the return, and it may not, i will post it here.

one other thing on the zion radios, 1807, if someone here has the instructions it might be helpful to post it on this site, it doesn't seem to be available on line unless you own a scion car and to register to get it you have to enter the vin #. i found it at one site but the file is corrupted and won't down load.

• 4 weeks later...

it's a 1990, 89 chasis, v6. the unit i bought was off ebay without brackets and the stereo coming out wasn't factory so didn't have original brackets. the harness had been changed also so it wouldn't plug in either. beside having to enlarging the original opening the harness coming in for the heat and air is in the way and would be pressed hard against the unit. if the only thing i had to do was enlarge the opening i may have moved forward. i ended up ordering one specifically for the truck with a new harness. i haven't received the RA from the company yet so may need to sell it, it's used and i paid $41.25 including frt. if i had the original bracket and harness i may have tackled enlarging the opening. who knows, once i get the new one i may go backwards and do it anyway. should have the new one in a day or two.

if things don't happen on the return, and it may not, i will post it here.

one other thing on the zion radios, 1807, if someone here has the instructions it might be helpful to post it on this site, it doesn't seem to be available on line unless you own a scion car and to register to get it you have to enter the vin #. i found it at one site but the file is corrupted and won't down load.

PM me if you want to sell it, I have a buyer

thanks but they accepted it back. i think they still have some available at about $40. i did end up with a brand new still in package.set of plugs for the stock toyota radio if someone needs to replace theirs for what ever reason.

... if someone here has the instructions it might be helpful to post it on this site, it doesn't seem to be available on line unless you own a scion car and to register to get it you have to enter the vin #.

I'd have plugged in a VIN that you can conveniently get from EBay listings. :ThumbUp: