Greetings from a newbie DIYer, insulation questions

moroza

Not shielding, that only lets more heat out the exhaust. Use mass instead of shielding. Heat bricks or ceramic tiles. They wont get as hot as a stove, but they will radiate heat for hours.

My Ammo can Stove arrived few days ago and I let her rip for the curing process this weekend. Used small pieces of hickory. Piping for it was easy found at the home repo.

This thing is awesome! easily boiled water in a small pan to make Mountain House spaghetti. (love that stuff great Prep). the design is great; to clean it you just open it and shake it. the build quality is very good. I do think I will make a few more of these stoves myself now that I have one as a blueprint by buying cheap bulk ammo cans from cheaperthandirt.com.

My Ammo can Stove arrived few days ago and I let her rip for the curing process this weekend. Used small pieces of hickory. Piping for it was easy found at the home repo.

This thing is awesome! easily boiled water in a small pan to make Mountain House spaghetti. (love that stuff great Prep). the design is great; to clean it you just open it and shake it. the build quality is very good. I do think I will make a few more of these stoves myself now that I have one as a blueprint by buying cheap bulk ammo cans from cheaperthandirt.com.

Totem, can you post a picture of the stove? Are you going to install it in your Toyhome? I went to the company's website and the unit looks like a good idea.

John

post-4814-0-88467900-1334200218_thumb.jppost-4814-0-28163900-1334200197_thumb.jppost-4814-0-63800000-1334200183_thumb.jp

I bought this as a doomsday prep; (yes I one of those weirdos that collect bullets, freeze dried food an other preparations for SHTF).

My toy home is my BOV should things get too hairy and yes when the LP runs out in the beast, the ammo can stove will replace the furnace in her. Otherwise she will take up virtually no space in the back. GREAT tent heater and fallback to a furnace fail. I would have no fear sticking a cookie sheet under her and running the pipe out the bathroom vent while propping bathroom door open. The heat this thing kicks is great for its size. WME is right, I went with a concrete paver (seen under it in one of the picks) it didnt even get warm underneath.

• 2 weeks later...

That stove looks excellent. I've got a whole lot of old ammo cans laying around here, and I bet I could make something like it, but with an exterior air intake and maybe extra heat shielding.

Work's been slow; I'm rebuilding the front axle, relocating the rear, and doing little this-n-that things to the rest of the truck. I've also been doing unrelated welding projects, which have made me realize that making a steel frame isn't out of my abilities like I initially thought. I know that steel is stronger than wood in some ways, not others. Who here can tell me what about making some of the structure out of steel, to gain strength or lose weight?

depending on the gauge of the steel to achieve same vertical strength. channel iron is very strong in that respect and a pretty light gauge would give a lot of strength without much weight. even angle iron offers a lot of strength and that would be about 1/3 less than channel. a 1"X2" piece of Doug fir isn't that light and without horizontal reinforcement (more weight) isn't that strong. you can break a 1"X2" over your knee, a 1"X1" angle or channel iron would not be so easy.

depending on the gauge of the steel to achieve same vertical strength. channel iron is very strong in that respect and a pretty light gauge would give a lot of strength without much weight. even angle iron offers a lot of strength and that would be about 1/3 less than channel. a 1"X2" piece of Doug fir isn't that light and without horizontal reinforcement (more weight) isn't that strong. you can break a 1"X2" over your knee, a 1"X1" angle or channel iron would not be so easy.

I've got a lot of steel tubing available here, as well as angle iron and some heavier C- and I- beams. The tubing is (I think) 2" x 2", 1/8" thick, the other pieces vary. There's also a lot of old leaf springs, some highway stakes, at least one big piece of diamond plate... and that's just what's here and otherwise trash, not counting whatever I buy.

Should I make the whole thing out of steel, or just a rollbar-shaped core structure, or just the floor...?

Edited by moroza

Seeing that the truck you are planning to use already is without a bed, I might suggest you do something similar and build a small lightweight flatbed with the scrap metal you describe. From there you might be able to find a small lightweight slide in camper shell that you can modify to fit on your flatbed (doesn't necessarily need to be a cabover). Both of the flatbeds I built used 3 pieces of 1/8" 2x2 and 2 pieces of 1x2 down the sides. Not a lot of metal. The dplate deck would be nice if you have enough material. Not the lightest route, but damn solid base.

If you were to build a box from scratch, those ultra light weight composite core panels that simply "glue" together at the seams look pretty hassle free and are the standard today. For the DIY home builder this seems like a slam dunk. Skinning a frame would seem way too labor intensive, heavier, and prob in the end more expensive. The end result prob won't look as clean as a composite core panel box as well. Just my 2 cents from what I've read from the DIY camper builders at the various sites over the years.

~have fun