Newbie has an electrical problem!

Sunrader 81

Hi friends,

I'm a bit embarrassed, but I hit a curb in Austin, TX, on my last cross country trip, pretty hard, and ever since I have had these weird electrical problems. Let me explain. I have a 1981 Toyota Sunrader. I hit the curb near the rear dually tires on the passenger side, it left a bit of a scrape mark on the lower part of the Rader, but other than that was O.K. Ever since the lights in the coach, the water pump for the sink, and the fan for the heater will not work off of the marine battery. When the rig is running they all work fine, but not when the rig is stopped. I'm not super electrically inclined, but would appreciate any help you could give me. I'm REALLY HOPING that an easy to reach connection got knocked loose.

Also, I'm looking for a place to store my spare tires (I have 2) without having to install anything complicated. I was just thinking I would tie them or ratchet strap them to the top since there are those metal bars up there, unless I could figure out a way to tie them to the ladder. Any suggestions for a quick and dirty fix?

and one more thing... I have a vertical BBQ style propane tank (20 pounder) that does not fit into the compartment. I'm thinking I would ideally have a horozontal tank, but those cost 200 bucks and I can't afford it. The previous owners just build a really janky wooden box around the outside of the too-small compartment and had the vertical tank bobbling dangerously behind the rig. So if I ever get rear ended or backed into something the tank would hit first, get smashed and explode. I just really like the convenience of running my fridge while I drive, which I stopped doing cause I didn't want an explosion. Any suggestions?

Oh, speaking of my fridge, It's a 30 yr old Norcold and it works great. Only thing is, the control knobs that toggles between "gas-elec-off" is all rounded out on the inside and doesn't work. So I have to turn it with a pair of needle nosed pliers. Anyone know where I could get one of those knobs? It would sure make life easier.

As always, thanks in advance. I feel grateful to have such a team of experts to help me.

Thanks!

Rader 81

Oh, speaking of my fridge, It's a 30 yr old Norcold and it works great. Only thing is, the control knobs that toggles between "gas-elec-off" is all rounded out on the inside and doesn't work. So I have to turn it with a pair of needle nosed pliers. Anyone know where I could get one of those knobs? It would sure make life easier.

Could you drill a hole in the side of the knob and into the shaft and insert a pin?

Could you drill a hole in the side of the knob and into the shaft and insert a pin?

Well, it's one of those knobs that you have to push in and turn and when it gets to its proper location it "locks" into place. So with the pliers I have to grip the exposed nub in just the right place and then squeeze in, turn it to where I want it, and release it.

Sunrader 81

If none of the 12V stuff works off the RV battery it could be the battery or a connection from the batt to your breaker / converter box. If some 12V things work off the RV battery but not others I am afraid you'll have to break out the meter for that.

When you say 2 tires that isn't much weight, but 2 tires mounted to the wheel is a lot of weight on the top of one of these RV's

I agree your'e correct to be worried about the safety of that propane soulution.

vanman

I agree with vanman toes up battery or connections and yeah the tires are not all that light and the ladders are not all that strong you'll need some thing secure it would not be a nice thing to do to the fellow behind you if it broke off. Propane, the only right way to do it is a horizontal tank as you probably know if you lay a BBQ tank down you are very likely to get liquid in your system. They make knobs with set screws in them that might work for you if you can find one with the proper shaft size.

as far as the electrical, check under the rig where the battery is. mine has the lines drop under the floor then back up to the fuse box. maybe when you hit the curb it cut one of them or both. you could also run temp jumper wires from the battery to the fuse box, by passing the original line, and see if the 12v works. you could also check for continuity from the battery to the lines where it connects to the fuse box. something came loose when jarred, that seems very possible.

you can maybe find a servicable used horzontal propane tank i got myn from a county hazerdous wast desposal site. and i just bought a spare from a wreacking yard. the one i have on my 1987 dolphin is dated 1973 the tank looked great shape. you take them to a propane service plant and get requlifed for 5 years for 5 dollors

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies. I ended up unhooking the propane tank and putting it in the tiny compartment sideways for driving. Then when I stop I just have to pull it out, put it vertical, and rehook it. Not ideal, but until I can get a better fitting tank, it feels a lot safer. I managed to squeeze one spare tire (on it's rim) behind the passenger seat, also not ideal, but O.K. for now. The second spare tire (no rim, just a tire, cause they are so dang hard to find) I tied to the top of the camper with rope. We'll see how sturdy it is, I will probably add a ratchet strap before any long journeys. I haven't managed to look at the electrical, yet. Tomorrow, hopefully. Really, I'm trying to get it in shape to maybe sell it. Which is hard cause I love that little camper, but it makes more sense for me to get a 4x4 and a tent at this point in the game. I keep ended up at the ends of roads that my little rader can't go.

Thanks so much and if you think of anything else let me know!

Rader 81

• 2 weeks later...

The spare tire on the Toyota trucks were orginally mounted under

the truck bed by a chain/crank type bracket. Depending on your

exhaust pipes and plumbing setup, you might be able to mount the

spare tire with the rim back in the original spot. I helped one

friend do this with his 1990 Odyssey, his chain/crank bracket was

not there, he just brought a used on off ebay (any junk yard should

have one) and it bolted right back into the original holes.

Dennis...