Bigdog

I bought a meter to trace my electrical problem

Posted in appliance tech section,my mistake

givin advice on what to do only don't understand

What settings to use on meter to check alternator ,isolator

Fuses etc?

Afraid I'll fry the meter.

Thanks in advance

All of the stuff you will measure is going to be 10 -15 volts DC so pick a scale that, that voltage fits in. Another handi gadget is a test light cheap and very easy to use and often will tell you things a digital volt meter won't . A digital volt meter will not load a circuit so if there is a poor connection the meter may read proper voltage but not carry a load a test light will load the circuit and either light dimly or not at all.

Maineah is right. I was trying to convert an ol Smart Ups 700 inter a small battery charger/converter last night. This was an old throw away from IT that I believed needed new batteries.

I was astonished to find the SLA batteries were actually perfect reading 13.1 volts each and would run a separate inverter just fine. when plugged into the APC however the thing would click much like the old toyota power converter yet would not put out ANY AC power when unplugged.

Voltmeter showed 26.1 but light was sooooooo dim.

found voltage drop in unit; it had actually gone bad. Batteries were perfect.

So strange I had figured the opposite to be true.