Cheap propane solution!!!

I love my boondocking but buying the small tanks was getting expensive, I thought about the large bbq tank but it was hard lugging it around and absolutely not good for night hikes with my lantern so I found a new toy, a tank filler. The little brass piece hooks to my bbq tank at home and I can fill all my old small green tanks. It's been working great (found I had to freeze the small tanks to fill but that's easy). They're about $20 from camping world or harbor freight.

post-4086-0-85977400-1326855666_thumb.jp

When I bought a small Mr Buddy heater, it uses the small disposable bottles. I use the bottles around the house more than in the Toy, but I always carry a couple of the small cylinders in the Toy as Emergency backups. ( I also have an adapter that I can use one of the small cylinders in place of the Toyhouse's normal 20 lb tank)

The adapter you reference works very well, its a little cumbersome (getting your hand in there to turn the valve on/off)

At home I have an adapter like the one referenced in this article, lot more convenient when refilling several bottles in one sitting.

Here's a very good writeup on refilling them:

Refill small disposable cylinders

If your not comfortable doing this, and are not completely aware of the risks (and how to mitigate them) then you should not be doing this.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 weeks later...

I fill mine with an adapter I put the empty in the freezer then hook it to the big one listen until it makes no more noise filling and then turn the big tank valve off. I have weighted them and they come out to just about a pound every time. It goes in, in a liquid form and as it boils the gas equals the tank pressure and it pretty well stops filling. If you are going to make a fill station like the web page don't use teflon tape use pipe dope made for gas teflon will leak the tank is at t full pressure around a 100 PSI even higher on a warm day also a gas valve is made for gas it is different then a regular ball valve. I am going to add, it is illegal to transport a refilled small cylinder I have no ideal how they would ever know but that is the law. I live in the willy wags and we still have a dump (transfer station) and we can pick through the throw a ways so I find cylinders that show no rust and still have the caps. By the way don't smoke while doing this live long and prosper!

I just don't use those tiny propane cylinders. Instead I have a new Coleman stove that uses liquid fuel just like 60 years ago. Fuel is maybe $4 a gallon. With daylight savings time and living up north I seldom have use for a lantern but do have a Coleman liquid fuel lantern in the garage which I can bring along any time I think I may need it.

If you leave the fuel tank pressurized when driving you may have all the fuel pushed out when you get there. BE SURE to let out all the air pressure when you pack up and you should have no problem.

A great hellow too you guys MY other big hobby and sell some too .I own and collect Colmans Have about 45 old pump lanterns and a number of 1 to 3 burner stoves. The pump models burn much hotter and brighter then propane. Ihave propane also bought a tee and hose can run 2 burner stove off of moterhome tank or carry bulk tank when using propane. Inever leave fuel in my colman fuel gear. have one Nikel brass colman Lantern 1948 workes good as new. a Lantern all night in the woods can Help KEEP the wrong PEOPLE AWAY.

• 11 months later...

( I also have an adapter that I can use one of the small cylinders in place of the Toyhouse's normal 20 lb tank)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

@John, this is a brilliant idea for someone like me who only uses the stove to cook. it would save weight and the extra space can be used for storage. Would you be kind enough to share the details of this adapter?

I just don't use those tiny propane cylinders. Instead I have a new Coleman stove that uses liquid fuel just like 60 years ago. Fuel is maybe $4 a gallon. With daylight savings time and living up north I seldom have use for a lantern but do have a Coleman liquid fuel lantern in the garage which I can bring along any time I think I may need it.

We have a large four burner kitchen stove with oven that works the same way. Made in 1929 and has a large brass gasoline tank with a hand-pump on it. Works just like a Coleman stove or lantern and runs on common gasoline (not white gas). We have many antique stoves that we use off and on but I've got to admit - the gasoline oven makes me nervous and we've never used it in the house. My wife teaches alternative cooking at several museums and we have some odd-ball stuff. Oil cook stoves, Rumford wood cooking fireplace and bake oven, Chambers propane stove, wood cook stoves, etc. I think building the Rumford fireplace and oven took near 10 year off my life. Never again - too much work.

I love the portable Coleman cook stoves and camp-lights. All our RVs have them stowed away.

Here's our "Autogas" gasoline cook stove sitting behind one of our wood-stoves.

100_3207_zps9c207628.jpg

100_3205_zps731a5aea.jpg

AP,

Using the 1 lb propane in place of a 20lb is easy, simply need the adapter like this one to screw in the top of the 1lb tank, then screw the normal LP system to the adapter.

Remember, the 1 lb tank still requires a regulator to cut it down to 11 inches of pressure that the stove is looking for.

In the system I'm using, (I think this is what you were looking at) I use the Mr Buddy's regulator to reduce the pressure, In this case , I screw the 1 lb into the Mr Buddy, then connect the low pressure hose to my propane system. The Mr buddy is now supplying propane to my Toyhouse.

What might be a better solution for you, get an regulator adapter hose like this and plumb it to your stove.

Hope this helps

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 month later...