locked out

Joelene

Keys are locked inside cab. Don't have an extra set. Don't have AAA. What I do have is a slim jim and a coat hanger. Have looked at several videos (youtube etc) on how to use slim jim, where to position etc. Still no luck. Anyone have any suggestions or does anyone know where I could look at a diagram of the inside of one of these doors. Manual locks. Door handle will not open without unclocking door first.

Also, BTY, just received a recall notice for frig (fire hazard). Will post that info for all with id #'s etc shortly, however, knowing you guys on this site, you are probably already aware...but will post anyway.

Any help appreciated. Thanks, Joelene

If your rig is older then around 1990 you can use a shaved key or try any random older Toyota keys from people. Another thing most don't realize is that the door locks on almost all motor homes use the same keys so if you can get to the rear door you can use another person's dolphin keys (also a lot of RV dealers have a master key you can call them).

are the cab windows all the way up if down a tad take wire thru door window pull keys out of switch out over window i have done this. i dont no if you can slim jim one of those but tri too hook the pull up lock button linkeg and try too pull up the button. there is a way too open the 1977 1978 with bailing wire 2 minites for me. lock myself out many times.

Thanks for the replies. My coach door has a deadbolt which turns easily (probably Quikset). The other lock on the door is not locked (doesn't work). It is a 92 National Dolphin. From my research, the locking mechanism inside the cab door mmoves horizontally and not vertically. Suppose that's why my slim jim and coat hanger will not work. Can make the lock move but cannot grab onto it. I am jimmying or aiming for the right place but it is impossible to grab onto. All windows are closed tight. Found a place in Florida that supposedly can give me the key code for $15 although nobody seems to be there today. The keys are not in the ignigtion but between the two seats. Even if I could reach them with a wire I would not be able to pull them out with a closed window. Impossible to jimmy top of the door cause there is no clearance with bed over the cab. Do not have AAA. I have watched multiple videos online about using the slim jim and about even picking the locks with paperclips. Tried that too. The reason I know about the movement of the locking mechanism is because I found a diagram of a 93 Toyota truck door online, so I assuming the 92 door is the same. Nothing to grab onto the lock because it is smooth and can't really jimmy the door wide enough anyway. Yes, I know I should have a spare key but I don't. Thought about taking my dremmel tool to the other end of my slim jim to make a lock picking tool but at this point, if I can get a key made it would probably be the most economical thing to do. I understand that Toyota didn't start keeping tract of their key codes until 1992 so I am hoping I can get a code from somewhere cause it is a 92. Ok anybody else with another suggestion that we haven't covered here, I would be happy to hear from you. Thanks again for the replies I did receive. Joelene

Ask everyone with a Toyota if you can try their key. Friend of mine did the same thing and I opened his door with a key I had from a Toyota years earlier. Seems like theft isn't a big problem in Japan

Linda

Thanks for the replies. My coach door has a deadbolt which turns easily (probably Quikset). The other lock on the door is not locked (doesn't work). It is a 92 National Dolphin. From my research, the locking mechanism inside the cab door mmoves horizontally and not vertically. Suppose that's why my slim jim and coat hanger will not work. Can make the lock move but cannot grab onto it. I am jimmying or aiming for the right place but it is impossible to grab onto. All windows are closed tight. Found a place in Florida that supposedly can give me the key code for $15 although nobody seems to be there today. The keys are not in the ignigtion but between the two seats. Even if I could reach them with a wire I would not be able to pull them out with a closed window. Impossible to jimmy top of the door cause there is no clearance with bed over the cab. Do not have AAA. I have watched multiple videos online about using the slim jim and about even picking the locks with paperclips. Tried that too. The reason I know about the movement of the locking mechanism is because I found a diagram of a 93 Toyota truck door online, so I assuming the 92 door is the same. Nothing to grab onto the lock because it is smooth and can't really jimmy the door wide enough anyway. Yes, I know I should have a spare key but I don't. Thought about taking my dremmel tool to the other end of my slim jim to make a lock picking tool but at this point, if I can get a key made it would probably be the most economical thing to do. I understand that Toyota didn't start keeping tract of their key codes until 1992 so I am hoping I can get a code from somewhere cause it is a 92. Ok anybody else with another suggestion that we haven't covered here, I would be happy to hear from you. Thanks again for the replies I did receive. Joelene

How old is the roof vent?i.e. break the plastic, reach in with a long wire and grab the keys (magnet, hook, sticky stuff, etc) . or you may be able to reach the door handle with a long wire and hook

If the roof vents are original. they probably need replacing anyway ( I thing the plastic is about $10). the entire vent can be had for about $35.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

THERE are lock companyes that will come and unlock a auto for a fee they often have all kind of tools can unlock anything made sometimes your auto insurence covers it could be 100 dollors plus not current on pricing . but they are usaly very good . use only licened and bonded companys. TOYOTA BEEFED up a lot I can openany 1977 78 in three minitis with bailing wire under the outside handle come under button up lift handel open door. i have locked myself out too many too count. I carried bailing wire hid under rear bumper on my 78 pickup and 78 minimax moterhome.

..Can make the lock move but cannot grab onto it. I am jimmying or aiming for the right place but it is impossible to grab onto
try pulling at a diagonal towards the front windshield. You may have to bend and tweak the shim a bit, but if you "see" the lock move at all, you are on the right path.

I've used slimjims on all sorts of cars over the years and while it really helps to be familiar with the internal workings, you usually can get unfamiliar cars open... eventually.

Try the slimjim again and if you see the lock moving, don't be afraid to exert a little bit of force on the slimjim. Nothing outrageous to rip the internals out, but give it some leverage and see what happens. You should also definitely work on the passenger door! :)

If you fail, call a reputable tow company or locksmith and watch them slim-jim your car in about 45 seconds!

Gluck and lots of other great suggestions here to try as well. I think you can do it with the SlimJim tho.

i was crawling around under my mh and found that some previous owner had a spare key in magnetic box stuck up on the frame that the bumper connects on. probably had been there since new, 20+ years ago. worth doing a little easter egg hunt for????? lock smith to open will probably save money in the long run. probably open the coach door in a few seconds and no repairs to do later caused by the wire and other implements of destruction used to get in. and while he's there you can have lots of extra keys made :o).

GOOD NEWS: Called Toy Dealer this morning. They have the code and can cut me a key; cost between $4-$8. Have to provide VIN and ID/ drivers license. Was really relieved to hear this cause apparently Toyo started keeping track of key codes in 1992 and my RV is a 1992. Was holding my breath. So anyone with the same problem w/ Toy 1992 and newer can go this route. Anything older may be a problem getting code from Dealer, although came across another company online in Florida who will rpovide key codes for $15. Thank you to all those who replied and tried to help me out. Really appreciate it. Joelene