86 Bandit?

jazzmandolin

Hello all, I have an appointment to see and test drive a 86 Bandit pop top. It shows 92,000 miles is a 4 speed straight shift. Owner took in on a trade and does not know much about it. It is a dually. Says he drove it 2.5 hrs home and that it ran and drove excellent. I had him look at the rear end and he says it has six lugs and the protruding hub which is good news. From the pictures there is only a little rust at the top of front fender wells and the over all look is really good. Interior looks well used but not abused. Pop top canvas or whatever material looks to be in perfect condition as he says it is. Asking 3600.00 obo. Anyone know how much better gas mileage you get out of the low profile pop tops? 3600.00 seems just a little high but then you do not see these Bandits for sale very often. Only one I have seen anywhere close to me in the past few years was in pretty poor shape and he still wanted 2,500.00 I passed. Interested in any and all input you all are willing to give. Thanks

Edited by jazzmandolin

I would expect this Bandit to sell easily for 6 grand. The only reason it's still for sale is because he listed it in cars and trucks instead of RV's so it was hard to find.

The pop top should make a huge difference in mileage and the 4 speed too. With the engine tuned up I think you can do better than 20mpg in this baby maybe more.

I can get up to 19mpg in my Sunrader on flat terrain and I have an auto with of course the taller overhead. You mentioned adding air. Are you talking about to the cab or the coach.

Adding air to the cab can be done easiest if you find a complete system in a junked truck. Adding to the coach is a problem. Not a good idea to try to put a conventional

rv air conditioner on the pop top roof. Just asking for problems. Huge windows on the sides of the Bandit limit installation area for a conventional window air conditioner to

be installed on the side of the camper. I use a small portable floor model in my Sunrader. That way you don't have to make any harmful cuts in the camper and don't have to carry extra weight

when you don't need it.

LS

Hello all, I have an appointment to see and test drive a 86 Bandit pop top. It shows 92,000 miles is a 4 speed straight shift. Owner took in on a trade and does not know much about it. It is a dually. Says he drove it 2.5 hrs home and that it ran and drove excellent. I had him look at the rear end and he says it has six lugs and the protruding hub which is good news. From the pictures there is only a little rust at the top of front fender wells and the over all look is really good. Interior looks well used but not abused. Pop top canvas or whatever material looks to be in perfect condition as he says it is. Asking 3600.00 obo. Anyone know how much better gas mileage you get out of the low profile pop tops? 3600.00 seems just a little high but then you do not see these Bandits for sale very often. Only one I have seen anywhere close to me in the past few years was in pretty poor shape and he still wanted 2,500.00 I passed. Interested in any and all input you all are willing to give. Thanks

I would expect this Bandit to sell easily for 6 grand. The only reason it's still for sale is because he listed it in cars and trucks instead of RV's so it was hard to find.

The pop top should make a huge difference in mileage and the 4 speed too. With the engine tuned up I think you can do better than 20mpg in this baby maybe more.

I can get up to 19mpg in my Sunrader on flat terrain and I have an auto with of course the taller overhead. You mentioned adding air. Are you talking about to the cab or the coach.

Adding air to the cab can be done easiest if you find a complete system in a junked truck. Adding to the coach is a problem. Not a good idea to try to put a conventional

rv air conditioner on the pop top roof. Just asking for problems. Huge windows on the sides of the Bandit limit installation area for a conventional window air conditioner to

be installed on the side of the camper. I use a small portable floor model in my Sunrader. That way you don't have to make any harmful cuts in the camper and don't have to carry extra weight

when you don't need it.

LS

My portable ac works very well and even though I have an onboard gen set I never use it. Too loud. In California heat isn't a big problem but when going to the central valley which is very hot I

make plans to be at a campsite with hook ups. Have plans to eventually remove the current generator and buy a honda eu2000. They have more than enough power to run my 8000 btu

air conditioner and are very quiet besides being outside the camper. I have also seen small campers like yours with a window air conditioner below the seats. Just have to make sure there is a way to drain off the condensation. Truth is I would never cut into your beautiful fiberglass sides. It's a beauty. Good luck

LS

I would first be looking at a cab AC install and then if we decide to I would go with the portable ac. So how well does your portable ac unit work and do you run it off a generator? Thanks

You should talke to Tacoma Sue she has a bandit.....

I replied on the Toyota Camper Yahoo Group site earlier, but here's some additional comments. My 77 Bandit has a 20R engine, 4speed. I averaged 21 -- 24mpg on trips this summer. My gas gauge does not work so I keep meticulous gas records. A fun part of having a Bandit is people always want to know about it and while waiting in a ferry line, I had someone approach who used to sell them and was excited to see one again. Another consideration is that you may need to be prepared to modify the coach for today's standards if important to you---computer and TV hook up, better radio speakers, and hot water. I stay in places with full hook-ups, showers, etc. I agree with the earlier comment that I would not cut into the fiberglass body or the roof. The fiberglass is heavy-duty and really solid. I would think long and hard before cutting into it unnecessarily. I'd consider a portable ac before doing that. A thought I have about installing ac is that the walls in my Bandit are not insulated and neither is the canvas with its screened windows. Keeping this coach cool may be a challenge when the top is popped up even if the ac works really well. Sue

The Bandit he's going to look at is in Tenessee. Air conditioners don't just cool they dehumidify. I'm assuming he too lives near there and the heat is made much worse by the humidity

An air conditioner will make it much easier to sleep in an area where it really doesn't cool off much at night. Portable AC's don't drain constantly. The drain is in a closed position when in use.

. They will vent off some water but in humid areas you really need to drain them every day. Where your going to put it in a tiny Bandit is another issue.

LS

I replied on the Toyota Camper Yahoo Group site earlier, but here's some additional comments. My 77 Bandit has a 20R engine, 4speed. I averaged 21 -- 24mpg on trips this summer. My gas gauge does not work so I keep meticulous gas records. A fun part of having a Bandit is people always want to know about it and while waiting in a ferry line, I had someone approach who used to sell them and was excited to see one again. Another consideration is that you may need to be prepared to modify the coach for today's standards if important to you---computer and TV hook up, better radio speakers, and hot water. I stay in places with full hook-ups, showers, etc. I agree with the earlier comment that I would not cut into the fiberglass body or the roof. The fiberglass is heavy-duty and really solid. I would think long and hard before cutting into it unnecessarily. I'd consider a portable ac before doing that. A thought I have about installing ac is that the walls in my Bandit are not insulated and neither is the canvas with its screened windows. Keeping this coach cool may be a challenge when the top is popped up even if the ac works really well. Sue

Thanks for all the input and NO WAY will I be cutting into anything on the Bandit to add AC or anything else! I see the solid top and no vents to be a big plus as far as leaks, wind resistance and would not want to compromise this! I do have some Ideas about the AC though I actually did this on a old safari cargo van used for camping many moons ago. I made a portable stand for a window unit that allowed me to use either front door window as a access point for the AC, used stiff cut to form heavy foam padding to fill in the gap around the ac and window. It worked great. Had to put it in and take it down every time I wanted to use it but it was easy to do and well worth the cold air sleeping on a hot humid day!

We fell in love with the Bandit and it is now sitting in our driveway! Very excited here! Drove excellent on the two hour drive home. Gambled on the coach electrical as there was no coach battery so we could not try the lights or heater blower. We like the rig so well we decided that we would gamble a little and just fix whatever problems we come across. Very clean inside and out. Have a couple months to get everything strait before out first multi thousand mile trip! Thanks for all the input and I am sure I will have a few questions as we start getting it in total travel worthy condition. Peace out Jay

So happy for you.You have a very special little camper there

LS

We fell in love with the Bandit and it is now sitting in our driveway! Very excited here! Drove excellent on the two hour drive home. Gambled on the coach electrical as there was no coach battery so we could not try the lights or heater blower. We like the rig so well we decided that we would gamble a little and just fix whatever problems we come across. Very clean inside and out. Have a couple months to get everything strait before out first multi thousand mile trip! Thanks for all the input and I am sure I will have a few questions as we start getting it in total travel worthy condition. Peace out Jay