I am going to be taking my '85 Dolphin for a winter trip this year and would like to get winter treaded tires. Trouble is, I am having difficulty finding 195 R14 C winter tires. Has anyone put winter tires on their Dolphin, and if so, did you find this size, or a compatible equivalent?

you do not want tires rated load range c those are car tires you need to use only load range D tires wich are 8 ply rated and marked Lt light truck if you are in the western states west half of montana or anywhere west of there i would check with les shaub 480 stores west us they sell a lot of traction tires many of us my self also have discovered that we had car tires they are under wt safte y rating and dangerous to use also highly recomend siping makes a big difference BIG O is also a good company

On our Alaska Trip, we carried a set of chains. We didn't need them, but had them available.

Probably if you tool around in the Rockies, you'd keep a set in the truck at all times.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

A 195 tire is not needed on your camper. 185 is fine and c load range is fine too. C load range is not a car tire. The only companies that I know of the make a true snow tire in the sizes we need are Nokian and Verdestien or what ever that name is. Here's a link to some online

https://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tiresearchadv2.aspx?treadwidth=185&profile=&rimsize=14&Winter=1&Pageindex=1&choice2=All

Another option is a good all season tire like the hanhook ra08 and bring chains for when needed. If you go with the snow tires I wouldn't stud them. Need to stud all tires and can't use them many places

LS

I am going to be taking my '85 Dolphin for a winter trip this year and would like to get winter treaded tires. Trouble is, I am having difficulty finding 195 R14 C winter tires. Has anyone put winter tires on their Dolphin, and if so, did you find this size, or a compatible equivalent?

linda s

A 195 tire is not needed on your camper. 185 is fine and c load range is fine too. C load range is not a car tire. The only companies that I know of the make a true snow tire in the sizes we need are Nokian and Verdestien or what ever that name is. Here's a link to some onlinehref='https://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tiresearchadv2.aspx?treadwidth=185&profile=&rimsize=14&Winter=1&Pageindex=1&choice2=All' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>https://www.tiresbyw...x=1&choice2=All</a><br /><br />Another option is a good all season tire like the hanhook ra08 and bring chains for when needed. If you go with the snow tires I wouldn't stud them. Need to stud all tires and can't use them many places.

I wanted to go with the 195 tires but didn't because they are also bigger in diamater, and the last thing these RV's need is gearing up. I see some of the RV's are using these tires on the front, if so go with the 185 for a spare, that will fit on the front in a pinch. I will convert to the 195's if I change the rear end ratio, which I am now planing to do as I also want a locking rear end, kill 2 birds with one (expensive) stone.

When I was shopping for tires,(got the 185 Hankook's) I was told load range D only or look at the load factor in pounds and match to that.

vanman

The weight rating for the C load range is 1600 lbs. The D load range is 1850. The C gives you 6400 lbs in the back and 3200 in the front. More than enough for any Toyota motorhome I've ever heard of.

The D is more readily available so thats what people recommend but it's not the only tire that will work.

LS

linda s

A 195 tire is not needed on your camper. 185 is fine and c load range is fine too. C load range is not a car tire. The only companies that I know of the make a true snow tire in the sizes we need are Nokian and Verdestien or what ever that name is. Here's a link to some onlinehref='https://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tiresearchadv2.aspx?treadwidth=185&profile=&rimsize=14&Winter=1&Pageindex=1&choice2=All' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>https://www.tiresbyw...x=1&choice2=All</a><br /><br />Another option is a good all season tire like the hanhook ra08 and bring chains for when needed. If you go with the snow tires I wouldn't stud them. Need to stud all tires and can't use them many places.

I wanted to go with the 195 tires but didn't because they are also bigger in diamater, and the last thing these RV's need is gearing up. I see some of the RV's are using these tires on the front, if so go with the 185 for a spare, that will fit on the front in a pinch. I will convert to the 195's if I change the rear end ratio, which I am now planing to do as I also want a locking rear end, kill 2 birds with one (expensive) stone.

When I was shopping for tires,(got the 185 Hankook's) I was told load range D only or look at the load factor in pounds and match to that.

vanman

pardon me i did not notice the 195 but yes 185 waiter is right a good set of chains can save your life and they can save you in mud as well in wash state i have used chains a lot siping makes a big diference on your tires traction

• 2 weeks later...

Thank-you to all who replied with tire information. From my research on quality, traction, wearability, and availability, I've decided to go with the Hankook RA08 185R14C tires. In addition, I'll be carrying a set of chains just in case of very icy road conditions.