I have a 1987 Toyota Dolphin with a 22 R engine and would like to replace it with a 22 R engine from a 1987 Toyota Corolla. Will this swap easily? Also the Dolphin is a 4 speed trans and the Corolla is a 5 speed. Can the engine and 5 speed trans fit into the Dolphin after taking out the Dolphin engine and 4 speed trans? Thanks for any help.

Tape measure please...You need to take measurements. Chances are you can do it but there maybe some mods required like drive shaft (long or short), cut-out for tranny shifter, and maybe that's it. I wanted to change over to a 5 speed on my 20R engine with a 4 speed. I have seen the 5 speed trannys online and the bolt patterns look similar on the trannys, but I never did hook up with someone who actually did one. Maybe we can chat about this more. Thanks for the post. Matt tumolt@hotmail.com P.S. Fuel economy on my Huntsman with original 26K miles is around 20mpg. The 5 speed might give me more mpgs but I have no feedback on this yet.

Thanks for your quick response. Do you know if this 87 Corolla engine is the same size as the Dolphin 22RE? Or maybe a better question, Is the 22RE in my Dolphin a long block engine or a short block engine? If so, did Toyota Corolla's come out with the same type/size engine in the 22 RE's? Thanks for your reply

Tape measure please...You need to take measurements. Chances are you can do it but there maybe some mods required like drive shaft (long or short), cut-out for tranny shifter, and maybe that's it. I wanted to change over to a 5 speed on my 20R engine with a 4 speed. I have seen the 5 speed trannys online and the bolt patterns look similar on the trannys, but I never did hook up with someone who actually did one. Maybe we can chat about this more. Thanks for the post. Matt tumolt@hotmail.com P.S. Fuel economy on my Huntsman with original 26K miles is around 20mpg. The 5 speed might give me more mpgs but I have no feedback on this yet.

The only thing the 22R, 22RE, and the 20R engines were used in were trucks the Corolla "T" engines were smaller with a lot less displacement. Nice little engines but not enough power for a MH.

I did a 22R swap in a Celica about 15 years ago, I don't remember a lot about the donor, other than it bolted up to the tranny, and everything was OK, EXCEPT, I had to make new motor mounts, I think the mounting pad on the engine was shifted forward or back an inch or two. I cut a steel plate, bolted it to the engine, then welded the original mounts to the plate.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 weeks later...

sorry maineh but i owened a 20 R Corona . a biger car then a corolla 1977 5 speed had 15 years. also used in the Celica. But not in the little Corolla need 5 speed out of two whell d r truck not corolla If you have a 20r the 5speed truck trans celicka or Corona 20r 5 speed might work.

ditto to the above response, 20Rs, 22Rs and 22REs came in celicas. same exact engine as the trucks. the car trans (5 Speed probably wont be as strong as you 4 speed) and it will have a rear slip shaft driveshaft that slides into your transmission and your truck may be a flanged driveshaft that bolts to a flange