Draining water heater

84TOYRV

Is there a trick to draining the water heater? I turned the drain spout counter clockwise and some water dribbled out. That's all. I know that it must be nearly full. If I put the pump on it gushes out. I opened all the faucets, figuring it must need some air to let the water out. No luck. I could open up the relief valve, like I did last year. That worked, but maybe isn't the proper way. I thought I'd ask you guys first. What am I doing wrong? :(

The relief valve is fine won't hurt a thing. Come spring it pays to open it again to fill the tank that way you don't get near as much air in your lines.

I have an Atwood 3 gallon hot water heater in a '92 Itaska. Mine has a drain valve on the aluminum tank accessible from the outside of the camper. The plug is located near the bottom of the tank. Removing the plug allows most of the water to drain out.

Is there a trick to draining the water heater? I turned the drain spout counter clockwise and some water dribbled out. That's all. I know that it must be nearly full. If I put the pump on it gushes out. I opened all the faucets, figuring it must need some air to let the water out. No luck. I could open up the relief valve, like I did last year. That worked, but maybe isn't the proper way. I thought I'd ask you guys first. What am I doing wrong? :(

My Escaper has a drain on the main water tank on the outside of the MH drivers side, there are two drains near the water heater, these drain through the floor of the MH, and the water heater itself has a nylon plug that must be removed to drain teh heater tank. Opening at least one hot and cold faucet will make draining go alot faster. it is also recommended that you dump a few gallons of RV antifreeae into the main tank and punp it through all of the water lines and get some into the water heater to displace clean water. You should also have some RV antifreeze in every p-trap in the drains to prevent them from breaking. After empying your waste tanks a little antreeze should be left in there also.