RV insurance - how to get replacement / agreed value?

Lias

Hi there,

I just purchased my first Toy - a 1994 Winnebago Micro-Warrior in pristine condition. I also paid a premium for this at $14,000. I know that NADA values come no where near the prices these RVs are currently getting. I am looking for RV insurance and was hoping someone on the boards would be able to point me in the direction of a company that would be able to cover my costs if something catastrophic happened to the RV. I just sent Geico pictures of the exterior and interior of the RV because they don't automatically set you up for comprehensive due to the age of the vehicle. I'm also looking into Progressive but they seem to insure without any checking into the vehicles condition although they will charge me more but I think they also will just give you the NADA value if something happens. On the yahoo group someone mentioned they just get liability but I don't want to do that considering what I would have to pay to get another vehicle in similar condition. On ebay, an 1990 Odyssey, refurbished just went for $17,000.

I definitely think I paid a fair price on this vehicle but now I'm afraid to drive it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm carrying Liability only on my Dolphin,. But like you, I have a lot in it, and if something happened, it would be nice to at least get my money back out.. Please keep us posted on your findings.

Airplane Insurance has this, its called Hull Coverage - I declare the value of the plane, If its out of line, a rep will usually stop by to inspect, take photos, etc.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

If any of you are over 50, check with AARP. We were paying about $800 a year with super clean driving record, for full coverage on just our Honda Pilot. Adding our 1984 Sunrader with $4000 collision, towing and car rental added another $400 a year. AARP (The Hartford) came back with a quote of under $600 for pretty much identical coverage for both, with better RV towing, lodging, car rental, etc. by far. We changed the next day. Amazing when advertisers claim they can save you big money, and they do!

Steve

my mother and i bought a 81 revcon motorhome in 2001 for 12 grand when we got it we asked the insurance company to insure it for the replacement value which at the time was 25 thousand........it runs her about 400 a year, but go figure two months after i get the truck camper for the toyota she informs me that she wants me to come get the motorhome and keep it and use it since my dad wont go camping anymore.

Haven't heard back from Geico yet but hopefully tomorrow I'll get some news if they'll let me get comprehensive. I did get a 12 mth quote from Progressive for $284 including 25k/50k for uninsured/underinsured/bodily injury & 10k for property damage. Comprehensive and collision was with a $500 deductible. I declined roadside assistance since I pay for Good Sam emergency road service which has been great for me so far, had two tows just this year.

Still under 50 so can't use AARP. Will let you know what comes back from Geico, I'd think they'd give me a good rate considering I have two cars and my house covered by their company.

TO isabug and others you can get multi car discounts and WAiter if you can its a good thing to have comp if you can get it covers fire theft vandelisum and window replacement i have the grange out of Seattle full coverage on car truck and motrhome moter home is a 1978 fully covered up to a value of 4000 dollers out in washington state i cary 100,ooo 300,000 uninshered underinshered bodly injury 25000 to50000 is considerd to be under insured not enough coverge Also in winter i only keep comp on the moter home as i dont run it out on the road spring i just tell them to puton the rest so we can use it Check and see if they offer agreed value that is what Grange offers

I totaled an RV (1992 Itasca Spirit) in 2009. Geico. They pulled some numbers lower then what it was worth. I objected, went on ebay & rvtrader websites & pulled transactions showing actual value. We settled at 11k which I thought was fair. They include trip interruption, contents & towing(I think) . they paid PIP (Florida thing - up to $10k med to all passengers). I bought another RV (93 Warrior) and am now paying $218 for 6 months - 500 deductible on collision and a lot of liability.

Note: Itasca spirit & Winnie Warrior are identical models).

Geico treated me right. My insurance cost went up after the wreck (yes it was a lot lower in 2009)

Hi there,

I just purchased my first Toy - a 1994 Winnebago Micro-Warrior in pristine condition. I also paid a premium for this at $14,000. I know that NADA values come no where near the prices these RVs are currently getting. I am looking for RV insurance and was hoping someone on the boards would be able to point me in the direction of a company that would be able to cover my costs if something catastrophic happened to the RV. I just sent Geico pictures of the exterior and interior of the RV because they don't automatically set you up for comprehensive due to the age of the vehicle. I'm also looking into Progressive but they seem to insure without any checking into the vehicles condition although they will charge me more but I think they also will just give you the NADA value if something happens. On the yahoo group someone mentioned they just get liability but I don't want to do that considering what I would have to pay to get another vehicle in similar condition. On ebay, an 1990 Odyssey, refurbished just went for $17,000.

I definitely think I paid a fair price on this vehicle but now I'm afraid to drive it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks for the info. I did end up choosing Geico since I have my truck and cavalier and house already insured with their company. It was an additional $134 for six months and i have full glass coverage so that if any of the windows are broken they will replace. What you did with getting comps was a great idea. I will do that now so they can have something to compare with and do the same if anything else comes up later (knock on wood it doesn't).

I also have emergency road service with Good Sam which I can recommend. I've already had two tows (previous rv) and they were great although the tow company seemed to misjudge the type of truck needed for the tow. I turned down the Geico road service which would've been less but doesn't cover as much as Good Sam.

I totaled an RV (1992 Itasca Spirit) in 2009. Geico. They pulled some numbers lower then what it was worth. I objected, went on ebay & rvtrader websites & pulled transactions showing actual value. We settled at 11k which I thought was fair. They include trip interruption, contents & towing(I think) . they paid PIP (Florida thing - up to $10k med to all passengers). I bought another RV (93 Warrior) and am now paying $218 for 6 months - 500 deductible on collision and a lot of liability.

Note: Itasca spirit & Winnie Warrior are identical models).

Geico treated me right. My insurance cost went up after the wreck (yes it was a lot lower in 2009)

I use AAA I only pay $350 a year and have an agree'd value of $10k, 100k/300k coverage on my 83 dolphin with towing rental car and trip interruption services. I suggest agree'd value then it doesn't matter what comps are and it was only around $10 more per year then regular full coverage.