New Owner "New" addition to manufacturer list?

SwinGenX

Hello all,

A good friend of mine replaced his full size motorhome two summers ago with a much smaller version. I did not pay much attention until I saw it and asked him how he liked it. At which point, he took the time to show me and my excited three year old his 1987 Toyota "Mallard" motorhome. It was much bigger on the inside than I expected. Despite the fact that he has been very pleased with it, he mentioned that he was considering selling his for a somewhat larger version. On the way home, I joked with my wife about it being our new motorhome. I did not think about it much more for awhile...

That is when I began my research and ran across this site. I have found tons of useful information about what to look for, and what to avoid. What I did not find is any information regarding another "Mallard". My first search took me to http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/manufacturers.htm Subsequent searches of this forum have not turned up anything specific to this model/manufacturer. If anyone has information specific to this brand history, I would much appreciate it.

In any case, we are very close to making the purchase. My wife and I took a much harder look this week, and took it for a quick spin. It has a few areas that could use some upgrades. Ideally, air bags, a generator, and cruise control, but it is in fantastic and completely useable condition. Thanks for all the great information to this point and thanks in advance for anything additional.

-James

Welcome i dont know any info on the mallerd there are other orphin makes on here i and Johnny Ra wcon have the only 2 minimax known to ex estt maker unknown no info at all i would hope it has the full floting one ton rear axle

Mallard is a very well known RV maker that was in business until 1992. They made trailers and motorhomes but I have never seen one on a Toyota

Checked NADA and Kelly Blue Book too and no record of one on a Toyota. Possible they made just a few for RV shows to see if there was interest

and your friend ended up with one. An 87 makes it axle safe. Only the 85 and older had problems. Hope when you buy it you post some pictures.

LS

Welcome i dont know any info on the mallerd there are other orphin makes on here i and Johnny Ra wcon have the only 2 minimax known to ex estt maker unknown no info at all i would hope it has the full floting one ton rear axle

Glad to see you looking at a Toybox. Cruise control? Come take the one out of mine. It is only usable while driving downwind across Kansas. CC is a waste of money in these under powered vehicles (I have a V-6).

Dave

James - Welcome to the site.

I can't comment on the airbags, unless your talking about the ones used for the suspension, I replaced the hoses (they were very brittle) and was happy to see that the bags themselves were in good shape. I keep mine pumped up to about 60 lbs.

As for Cruise Control, mine came with it (Actually, its an aftermarket that was most likely installed by National RV when they built the Dolphin.) I love it, If I'm on reasonable level roads, I set it at between 55 and 60 and it doesn't have any problem holding it. If you add an aftermarket, do not use the vacuum servo type (The servo that operates the gas pedal is a small airbag that operates on engine vacuum), You want an electric servo. The engine has no vacuum when the gas pedal is on the floor, and when driving a toyhouse, the gas pedal is on the floor a lot. :-)

As Linda says, make sure you have the upgraded floating rear axle.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like this is another "rare" bird. However, I fear it does not have a six lug axle. :angry: It may have the "beefier" 5 lug transition axle that is referenced in the Axle " FAQ" I am going to take a closer look and take some pictures today. It might be rare, but certainly not desireable IMHO.

Mallard is a very well known RV maker that was in business until 1992. They made trailers and motorhomes but I have never seen one on a Toyota

Checked NADA and Kelly Blue Book too and no record of one on a Toyota. Possible they made just a few for RV shows to see if there was interest

and your friend ended up with one. An 87 makes it axle safe. Only the 85 and older had problems. Hope when you buy it you post some pictures.

LS

Thanks for the info Linda! This one is indeed a Mallard. I think your assessment is right about Mallard making this for a few RV shows. When going thru it, I noticed a few things that were not quite finished. In particular, the side couch seat belts. While both present, only one set was bolted in. :blink:

James - Welcome to the site.

I can't comment on the airbags, unless your talking about the ones used for the suspension, I replaced the hoses (they were very brittle) and was happy to see that the bags themselves were in good shape. I keep mine pumped up to about 60 lbs.

As for Cruise Control, mine came with it (Actually, its an aftermarket that was most likely installed by National RV when they built the Dolphin.) I love it, If I'm on reasonable level roads, I set it at between 55 and 60 and it doesn't have any problem holding it. If you add an aftermarket, do not use the vacuum servo type (The servo that operates the gas pedal is a small airbag that operates on engine vacuum), You want an electric servo. The engine has no vacuum when the gas pedal is on the floor, and when driving a toyhouse, the gas pedal is on the floor a lot. :-)

As Linda says, make sure you have the upgraded floating rear axle.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I was in fact talking about airbags used for the suspension. They are either not present, or do not hold air. The stance is very low at this time.

There appears to be an aftermarket cruise control present, but it is not currently functional.

The axle is definately not a six lug. It has five lug, but it does not look like the pictures I have seen of the weak five lug. I am going to get the VIN and take some pictures today to try and identify it. That is absolutely the only thing "wrong" that could keep me from a purchase. I spied a Dolphin in a wrecking yard from the road the other day. I will be checking with them to see if it has a six lug 1 ton axle. More to come.

Thanks again for all the information!

-James

I don't know if the single axle had bags???

Search the forums here ( cruise Control) and see if its the same CC as I have.

As for the RV in the bone yard, If it does have the dullies, See if they would let you look at it and buy the whole thing (obviously if your able to do this)

Hopefully, this would give you everything to convert over, AND extra parts, Tell them your restoring an old 1 ton toyota pickup.

HOWEVER - How big is the RV, Any idea how much it weighs. Some of the small Toyhouses will probably be OK with the single axle.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I don't know if the single axle had bags???

Search the forums here ( cruise Control) and see if its the same CC as I have.

As for the RV in the bone yard, If it does have the dullies, See if they would let you look at it and buy the whole thing (obviously if your able to do this)

Hopefully, this would give you everything to convert over, AND extra parts, Tell them your restoring an old 1 ton toyota pickup.

HOWEVER - How big is the RV, Any idea how much it weighs. Some of the small Toyhouses will probably be OK with the single axle.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

It has dual axles, or at least it has dual wheels. :lol: I am going to swing by on my lunch hour to take a much closer look at the axle. When considering the overall condition of the RV and price vs. the added cost of replacing the axle, I still plan on moving forward with the purchase. Assuming I can find an axle and put in some seat equity, the overall cost is still better than what I have been able to find otherwise.

I had seen your posting on the CC. I am hoping it is similar or better yet, it is one that I can find documentation for.

It has rear bath with dinette and couch layout. I believe it is over 20ft.

Stay tuned.

-James

Edited by SwinGenX

Air bags if there will look like 2 fat rubber doughnuts or a large rubber tube directly above the rear axle on each side. You should be able to see them even if they are deflated.

Look for the fill valves too. Look just like tire valves. Follow air hose from bags to outlet.

Axles can be found at car-part.com

http://www.car-part.com/

Don't put in your year. Put in any year from 86 to 92

rear axle and housing

dual wheels. 2wd

Even though any of those years will work it's best to try all of them because they don't

list them all together. Easier to find one closer. You need to find the dual wheels too and you

can use the same site.

LS

Well, the picture is getting a little clearer. When i went to take another look, I took some pictures and wrote down the VIN. While it is titled as an 87' camper, the chassis was manufactured in May of 1985. I expect it has the dreaded axle, but I will be posting some pictures in the drivetrain forum to get a definite identification.