Gathering 22r parts, axle questions, introduction

hey there! i'm scott.

awesome forum here, been reading a bunch, found alot of useful information here in the past few hours.

i do not have a toyota motorhome, i have a truck camper and a 86 2wd base pickup with the 22r, 4 speed manual and the 3.07 ratio semiflater 8" rear. the truck camper is a 77 sunline mini roundabout......i know it's not a motorhome, hope i can fit in here lol. i got mocked on a toyota pickup forum for wanting to haul such a thing, and on a truck camper forum they are all about diesel dualies and 4,000 pound campers.

i am a mechanic by trade and i have worked on toyota motorhomes in the past so i may be of some help. the truck was given to me for a 200 dollar repair job, and i got the camper on craigslist for 400 dollars, both are in excellent shape for the age, i'll post a video when i'm done.

i drove about 160 miles to get the camper, got 32 mpg up to ny and 17,5 home lol i was foot to the floor just about the whole way, third gear foot to the floor up the mountains i had a hard time maintaining 60 mph level and 50 up hill. unloaded the camper and started saving my money for go faster goodies.

so i got a day to work on my own stuff and i decided to check on the miss that's been getting worse. decided to do a compression test.....#1 spark plug is cross threaded so i leave it alone, #2 has 40 psi, #3 has 160, #4 has 160.......have been losing small amounts of coolant, but does not leak externally or overheat. ran a leak down test and the cooling system built up a tiny bit of pressure and the intake valve is leaking.

so i ordered a new engnbldr 22r head, a steel backed guide timing set, a water pump and a new fuel pump, still have to order a head set and head bolts and a cam, but i am looking for suggestions first on those parts.

obviously the 3.07 carrier has to go, how bout the 8" semi floater with single wheels, think i'm ok with say a 1600 lb payload? the camper weighs 980 lbs dry.

i am going to replace the bearings before a long trip, but the way i see it, the yoda axle is still superior to the ford f150 8.8".......i'm a lincoln guy and i lost an 8.8 axle in georgia with my 86 town car so i know how scary it is, the rear discs i converted to kept the wheel on. the toyota axle bearings press on to the axle, the ford 8.8 uses the axle shaft as the bearing race and c clips.

whenever i get the chance going to see if i can find some 4.10's out of a 4 runner at the yard, i would like 3.73's but toyota trucks are few and far between around here, have to settle with what i can find and afford

here is a link to the video

Talk to EB when it comes time for a cam, Ted will get you the right stuff. I used their Street RV head and the 270 cam (gen I). I lost some low speed pull, but the cam is right in its power range at 60-65mph so the hills are easier. Ya might want to throw in a set of rings too, it can be done with out removing the block.

Most of the older Toys are 22R with 4 spds. They mostly have 3:90 or 4:10 rears. So don't worry about over revving. Ideal answer is 4:1 or 4:56 and a 5spd

ted suggested the 268 cam

still undecided on the head gasket, was reading in alot of places to only use a genuine toyota head gasket

the head came today, and a new water pump and fuel pump got delivered, waiting on the timing set yet and have to buy the cam. are the head bolts torque to yield or can u reuse them?

headed to the yard sometime this week for a 30 spline 4.11 carrier out of a early 90's 4 runner. from what i was reading the carrier housing needs some minor clearancing to fit the 4.11 ring and pinion.

Welcome to this group i have a 1978 minimax moter home and an 1988 4 wd xtra cab 22re my third toyota pickup 15 to 17 about on the old 20 r 4 speed and yes i dont use anthing on the head but a factory head gasket i had a mechinc who worked in many local shops before he went to work in the toyota dealer here he said the felpro headgasket would last about 2 years the head blu on my toyota wagen he said i bet when you get the head off it will be a felpro indeed it was they claim no retorkeing ballony and the gasket looked cheap made i put on a factory gasket retorked at 1000 miles and drove it for 200 000 miles in 15 years no more problem and as for that setup you have i would run it myself the 20r is only about 96 horse i have a webber carb

• 2 weeks later...

ordered the engnbldr 268 cam, i am just waiting on the cam to arrive, i have all the other parts on the shelf waiting for install

also picked up a magnaflow dual outlet muffler and i am going to modify two stock replacement tailpipes and install 2.25" pipe from the head pipe out and fashion up a dummy converter.